Promote Student Success with an Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration – Student Affairs
Helping students succeed in college is an important job. As a student affairs administrator, you can help students gain skills and develop habits that will help them as they navigate the obstacles they face in their education. Furthermore, these skills can help them be successful throughout their lives. Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education Administration – Student Affairs can help you pursue top-level roles in college or university administration.
Throughout this program, you can learn skills such as effective leadership, policy development, program development, and best practices in supporting student achievement. This doctoral degree provides advanced training in current issues and trends as well as legal issues in student affairs. You will also take applied research courses that can prepare you to contribute to the general pool of knowledge in student affairs as you complete a capstone project that focuses on solving a problem of practice in the field of higher education.
Partner with us and prepare to help college students grow personally, academically, and professionally.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration – Student Affairs Development Degree?
We’ve designed our Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration to help meet your needs as both a student and student affairs administrator in higher education. With this program, you can pursue a terminal education credential while preparing to solve real-world problems in student development. And, unlike most Ph.D. programs, our online Ed.D. requires a capstone instead of a dissertation. This capstone project can help you address practical education issues and make a valuable contribution to this field’s vast body of knowledge.
What is student affairs?
College can be difficult. For many students, it is their first time away from home or without the guidance of a parental figure. In fact, the philosophy guiding the original model was “in loco parentis”— “in place of parent.” The first student affairs positions were called the “Dean of Men” and “Dean of Women” in the United States. Today, student affairs or student services administrators serve an essential role in helping students succeed and develop both personally and academically while attending college.
Our doctorate in higher education administration is available 100% online, which means you can earn your degree from the comfort of home. Liberty is committed to your success and to helping you balance your professional and personal life. By studying under our experienced faculty, you can hone your leadership skills and learn how to help college students thrive.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Higher Education Administration Student Development Doctorate?
This program provides core training in a variety of higher education topics. You’ll analyze the sociological, cultural, and psychological characteristics of college students so you can help maximize their academic growth and success. By learning about various factors that influence higher education finance and accreditation, you can help ensure the success of your institution.
Our student affairs doctoral program also covers a variety of subjects that focus on your success as a student affairs administrator. You will study current issues and trends in the field of student affairs administration. In addition, you can learn advanced leadership techniques and administrative skills. Legal issues and policies will also be part of your education in the area of student development.
As part of your student development doctorate, you will complete several research methods courses culminating in a capstone project. This final project can provide you with an opportunity to focus on a problem in the field of higher education and then solve it. You can add to the general body of knowledge and help to develop practical solutions that create a positive impact on higher education.
- EDUC 758 – Teaching the College Student
- EDUC 759 – College and University Administration
- EDUC 785 – Current Issues and Trends in Student Affairs*
- EDUC 786 – Leadership and Administration in Student Affairs*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- You can earn your online Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration – Student Affairs in just 2.5 years!
- Our faculty are experienced in their field and firmly rooted in the Christian faith.
- As an online student, you’ll have the opportunity to network with education leaders and experts from across the country.
Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Doctoral Advising Guide.
- This is a non-licensure program.
- Most of our Ed.D. courses are offered in an 8-week format; however, the capstone courses are a full semester.
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Online Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration – Student Affairs Program
- College/university administrator
- Higher education faculty
- Policy analyst
- Program coordinator
- Student affairs administrator
- Training and development specialist
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Student Affairs Doctoral Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Ed.D. in Higher Education Administration Online
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.