Help Improve Students’ Understanding of Physics with a Physics Education Certificate
Are you ready to boost your teaching career and help prepare tomorrow’s scientists today? Whether you are a teacher or preparing to be one, an add-on endorsement is something that can make you more marketable. Liberty University’s online Physics Education Certificate can increase your skills in teaching physics and prepare you for positions nationwide as a physics teacher for grades 6-12. Regardless of the science-related subject, you are currently teaching, this certificate can help you add a physics endorsement to your teaching license.
Did you know that close to 70% of middle school students are taught science by a teacher lacking a major or certification in the subject taught?*** Of all the STEM subjects, physics has the most severe teacher shortage. This Physics Education Certificate can prepare you to be a better teacher and fill vacancies in physics teaching positions all over the nation. Make a difference in education and help secure the future of students who may one day take the lead in scientific fields.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Physics Education Certificate program, you may apply for the add-on endorsement in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, High School Teachers (visited June 21, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
***U.S. Department of Education, Education and certification qualifications of public middle grades teachers of selected subjects, 2019 (viewed online November 5, 2020)
If you are a licensed teacher
If you hold a current teaching license in another science area and want to teach physics courses in grades 6-12, this certificate of teaching can help you get there. Our program is designed to work with your current credential, and it’s 100% online so you don’t have to leave your current position.
If you are a student teacher
If you are currently pursuing your teaching license and want to add a physics endorsement to your future credential, then this certificate can provide you with the courses and experience you’ll need. Our certificate for teaching covers all the basics of physics while providing a supervised 30-hour practicum designed to link theory with practice.
Why Choose Liberty’s Physics Education Online Certificate?
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. Because of this mission, we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the benefits of choosing to pursue your certificate in physics education with us:
- Your courses are integrated with a biblical worldview to ensure that you graduate as an ethically grounded professional.
- Your certificate courses are offered in a flexible, 100% online format, allowing you to continue to dedicate time to your work, family, and community.
- Each of your professors has professional experience as an educator with specialized knowledge in the area of physics education so you can be confident you’re learning from the best.
Physics Education Certificate Potential Career Options
Our Physics Education Certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, licensure status, and experience, there are a number of positions that could benefit from our Physics Education Certificate:
- Physics department chair
- Physics curriculum developer
- Research assistant
- Secondary education physics teacher
The skills that you gain from our Physics Education Certificate can be an asset if you hope to pursue education-related careers in the future. If you are a licensed teacher or currently pursuing your license, this certificate can provide you with an add-on teaching endorsement in physics education.Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a Physics Education Certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Physics Education Certificate?
Our Physics Education Certificate will provide you with the knowledge you’ll need to teach physics courses for grades 6-12. Your online physics education covers subjects that will help you teach students to understand the interactions of matter in a physical world. You can learn how to utilize tools of science and engineering to analyze theories and develop new ones. Some notable branches of modern physics include quantum physics, special relativity, and general relativity.
You will study these areas of physics and the theories associated with them, such as wave optics, mechanics, electricity, and magnetism. Your 100% online courses will cover subjects essential to every physics teacher. Additionally, you will have a supervised 30-hour practicum that will include placement in a 6-12 grade classroom as well as lab hours. This will be an excellent opportunity to turn your knowledge into wisdom as you gain experience teaching physics.
- EDSC 488 – Science Lab Practicum in Schools
- PHYS 231 – University Physics I
- PHYS 232 – University Physics II*
- PHYS 305 – Introduction to Modern Physics
- PHYS 321 – Mechanics*
- PHYS 331 – Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYS 440 – Wave Optics*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Online Physics Certificate
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You could complete this certificate in physics education in as little as 2 semesters!
- If you are a licensed teacher or currently pursuing your license, this certificate can provide you with an add-on teaching endorsement in physics education.
Physics Education Certificate Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Certificates
Applicants must have a 1.5 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.