Earn an Autism Education Certificate and Help Children Succeed
Autism affects how children communicate and interact with the world around them. In the classroom, this can lead to challenges in education that you can overcome with the right training and skills. Liberty University designed the Autism Education Certificate to help educators, family members, and others working in the community gain these important skills.
In 2020, the CDC reported that approximately 1 in 54 children in the U.S. is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) according to 2016 data.* Liberty is committed to providing properly trained educators to help meet the need for qualified individuals. If you are already working or planning to work as a general or special education teacher, then this certificate can help you meet the exceptional learning needs of students with ASD in an educational setting!
*Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at Data & Statistics on Autism Spectrum Disorder (viewed online July 22, 2020).
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Certificate in Autism Education Program?
Our Autism Education Certificate program is designed to help you understand the common characteristics of autism spectrum disorders so you can provide for the needs of your students on the autism spectrum. Throughout this Autism Education Certificate program, you will study under professors who have served as teachers and administrators in K-12 settings. These seasoned professionals will take what they have learned in their careers and share practical applications that you can use in your own classroom.
Our Autism Education Certificate is offered 100% online, so you can further your education without uprooting your life. Whether you are already working as an educator, or you have other commitments, this certificate will allow you to continue to serve your community while you further your education.
What Will You Learn in Our Autism Education Certificate?
Our autism online training is designed to prepare you with all the knowledge and experience you’ll need to teach students with autism. You will first learn the characteristics of children and adolescents with disabilities. Additionally, you will learn techniques for dealing with these diverse learners in a variety of settings.
You will gain a foundation in understanding autism spectrum disorder. Learning specific approaches and interventions with an emphasis on school settings is key in educating children. You will also learn about adult autism education and therapies used for people with autism throughout the lifespan.
In addition to the education-related courses in this certificate program, you will take a psychology course that focuses on the exceptional child. You will learn about the theory, empirical research, and interventions related to behavioral, emotional, and cognitive disorders. All of these courses will help to increase your employability and value as an educator.
- EDSP 360 – Learning and Behavior Problems
- EDSP 367 – Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders
- EDSP 377 – Autism: Education and Theoretical Approaches
- PSYC 345 – Exceptional Child
Choose 2 of the following courses:
- EDSP 370 – Intervention for Students with Intellectual Disabilities
- EDSP 410 – Instructional Adaption for Special Education
- EDSP 429 – Survey of Trends in Special Education
Highlights of Our Autism Education Certificate
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and as one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Complete your Autism Education Certificate in 1 year or less.
- Expand your employment opportunities by earning this certificate.
Autism Education Certificate Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Admission Requirements for Our Online Autism Education Certificate
Applicants must have a 1.5 or above cumulative combined GPA for all accredited colleges previously attended. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- A High School Self-Certification form
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted for this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.