Our Master of Arts in Religion – Pastoral Ministries Degree Trains You to Provide Pastoral Care to Your Congregation
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the Online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a thorough program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. Students who complete an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and non-profit organizations while opening the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels.
The Pastoral Ministries area of study for the Master of Arts in Religion is designed to give pastors and church leaders additional training in providing pastoral care to meet the spiritual needs of their congregation and community. Students who are called to a hands-on ministry role and feel unequipped to meet people’s spiritual and relational needs will find the tools for effective, personal ministry leadership in the Pastoral Ministries area of study.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Pastoral Ministries Program?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing a degree easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format while holding weight as a Master’s Degree credential. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Masters in Religion, will give you a fully-fledged, online college degree in ministry that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
Learners in any track of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion will receive foundational instruction in the fundamentals of discipleship ministry, sermon preparation, and practical ministry skills. Students who complete the area of study in Pastoral Ministries will be further equipped to meet the spiritual needs of their church and ministry with training in pastoral care and spiritual leadership. The Pastoral Ministries area of study provides an in-depth study of pastoral care, spiritual warfare, and the important factors of ministry growth and success through effective pastoral leadership.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. Degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition rate of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Divinity Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will you Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion – Pastoral Ministries?
Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online Masters in Religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, History of Christianity, Systematic Theology, and the Research, Writing, and sermon preparation process.
The online Master of Arts in Religion’s Pastoral Ministries area of study extensive training in the Spiritual Factors of Growing Churches, as well as the role of a pastor or church leader in Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare for bringing the congregation together and meet ministry challenges. Students in the Pastoral Ministries area of study will also receive Pastoral Counseling training to be better able to serve through pastoral care personally and will study the most effective ways of Preventing Ministry Failure.
Master of Religion in Pastoral Ministries Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Master of Arts in Religion – Pastoral Ministries Course Syllabi (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour at part-time
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue online pastoral care or Christian ministries degree at the graduate or doctoral level. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. Program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online Masters in Religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
- K-12 Religion Teaching
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete this online Masters in Religion – Pastoral Ministries in as little as two years.
- Liberty University’s Online Seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills in pastoral care that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
- Be equipped to handle challenges in church growth, no matter the size of the ministry.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative that students can complete in as little as one year.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – A 36 credit-hour degree with pastoral care and counseling emphasis, which may lead to private certifications in Christian counseling.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) – A more extensive, 75-hour track that will prepare you for ministry leadership and doctoral studies.
Regionally or Nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 for admission in good standing. Applicants who have earned a master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution may be assessed on the basis of the masters-level degree work.
Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts with a completed transcript request form**
- Official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy) if available.
- Completed School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.