Have a Meaningful Impact on Your Ministry with a Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides the flexibility you need to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs.
Students who complete an online ministry degree program like the Master of Arts in Religion can use their degree to become effective church leaders, administrate parachurch organizations, and build impactful nonprofit organizations while opening the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels.
The leadership area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion gives ministry professionals Christian leadership training that can help them handle the administrative conflicts and organizational challenges that sometimes arise in the Christian church. If you feel called to a leadership role, or you want to be equipped to take on more ministry responsibility, you will benefit from the practical and field-tested methods of Liberty’s leadership area of study.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing your education easier. You’ll have the flexibility of a 100% online format and graduate with the status of a master’s degree credential. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, provide a fully online college degree that can equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
Students in any of the online Master of Arts in Religion degree tracks will receive practical ministry and discipleship training. The leadership area of study specifically provides Christian leaders with the strategic planning and administrative skills needed to manage the day-to-day operation and proper planning of a successful Christian organization, whether in a church or parachurch ministry.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges and online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry, subject to transfer limitations.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their M.A.R. content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online seminary block rate: Students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership?
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion provides in-depth topical studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
The leadership area of study for the online religion master’s degree emphasizes biblical leadership and administrative skill sets needed for effective ministry organizations. Students in the leadership area of study will learn from the example of great Christian leaders of the past and present and receive a thorough education in the biblical foundations of leadership. A practical training in team leadership and conflict resolution is also provided to learn how to prevent disagreements and conflicts from undermining important ministry work.
- LEAD 510 – Biblical Foundations of Leadership
- LEAD 520 – The Life of Leaders
- LEAD 610 – Team Leadership and Conflict Resolution
- LEAD 620 – Mission, Vision, and Strategic Planning
Program Highlights for Liberty’s M.A.R. Programs
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete this online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership in as little as 2 years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian leaders and professionals who will impart important, time-tested lessons and insights about effective biblical leadership.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
- Be equipped to handle challenges in leading church or parachurch ministry organizations.
M.A.R. Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester — only $165/credit at 9-15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the M.A.R. are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for M.A.R. Graduates
Graduates of Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Religion can be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry and leadership roles in churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online Christian ministries degree at the post-graduate or doctoral level.
Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies are encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online M.A.R. credit.
In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online religion degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure), or any of the following ministry positions:
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion teacher
- Lay ministry leader
- Religion adjunct teacher
- Teaching pastor
Admission Requirements for the M.A.R. Program
Regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Complete the School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Submit contact information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.