Have a Meaningful Impact on Your Ministry with the Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. Students who complete an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion can be effective church leaders, administrate parachurch organizations, and build impactful non-profit organizations while opening the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels.
The Leadership area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion gives ministry professionals Christian leadership training that will help them handle the administrative conflicts and organizational challenges that sometimes arise in the Christian church. Students who are called to a leadership role, or who want to be equipped to take on more ministry responsibility, will benefit from the practical and field-tested methods of the Leadership area of study.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing your education easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format, while holding weight as a Master’s Degree credential. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Masters in Religion, will give you a fully-fledged, online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
Students in any of the online Master of Arts in Religion degree tracks will receive practical ministry and discipleship training. The Leadership area of study specifically prepares Christian leaders with the strategic planning and administrative skills to manage the day-to-day operation and proper planning of a successful Christian organization, whether that is a church or para-church ministry.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. Degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Divinity Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and Biblical studies. The core of the online Masters in Religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, History of Christianity, Systematic Theology, and the Research, Writing, and sermon preparation process.
The Leadership area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion emphasizes biblical leadership and administrative skill sets needed for effective ministry organization. Students in the Leadership area of study will learn from the example of great Christian leaders of the past and present and receive a thorough education in the Biblical Foundations of Leadership, as well as practical training in team leadership and conflict resolution to prevent disagreements and conflicts from undermining important ministry work.
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete this online Masters in Religion – Leadership in as little as two years.
- Liberty University’s Online Seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian leaders and professionals who will impart important, time-tested lessons and insights about effective biblical leadership.
- Learn from renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
- Be equipped to handle challenges in leading church or para-church ministry organizations.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative that can be completed in as little as one year.
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) – A 36-hour, academically-focused program which can be can be transferred into the MAR – Leadership program.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) – Leadership – A more extensive 75-hour track with a Leadership area of study that will prepare you for Christian leadership and doctoral studies.
Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Master of Arts in Religion – Leadership Course Syllabi (login required).
- Review the M.A.R. degree admissions requirements.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour at part-time
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the M.A.R. are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry and leadership roles in churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online Christian ministries degree at the post-graduate or doctoral level. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. Program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online Masters in Religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
- K-12 Religion Teaching
Regionally or Nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 for admission in good standing. Applicants who have earned a master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution may be assessed on the basis of the master’s-level degree work. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts with a completed official transcript request form**
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy).
- Complete the School of Divinity Questionnaire.
- Submit Contact Information for a pastoral recommendation.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.