Bring Global Outreach to Your Ministry with a Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that allows you to tailor the degree to meet your passions and needs.
Completing an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion can help you become an effective church leader, an administrator in parachurch organizations, and a builder of impactful nonprofit ministries. This degree can also help open the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels. The global studies area of study extends the practical ministry and biblical studies of the online Master of Arts in Religion globally, giving you a broad perspective of world religions and how you may approach different cultures with an effective, fruitful Gospel message.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies?
Pursuing a religious degree at the master’s level can be a difficult task as you must find a way to fit challenging coursework into your busy schedule. As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s ministry degrees make this easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Master of Arts in Religion, will give you an online college degree that can equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
Students in any of the online Master of Arts in Religion program tracks will receive practical ministry and discipleship training, but our global studies area of concentration provides an important understanding of the religions and cultures of the world.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges and online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE)* to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their M.A.R. content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- Students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for an online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!**
*Subject to transfer limits
**Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion can be completed 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion provides in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process. The global studies area of focus for the Master of Arts in Religion provides an overview of various world religions to give you a summary of the cultural conflicts you may encounter.
You will also gain an appreciation for differences in culture through coursework in cultural anthropology and Christianity’s historical impact on the world. The global studies concentration also provides essential practical ministry tools through the intercultural communication and engagement class so that ministry professionals will know the best ways to connect with people in different cultures.
- GLST 525 – Introduction to Islam*
- GLST 600 – Cultural Anthropology*
- GLST 620 – History of Global Christianity*
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication & Engagement*
*For information about these courses, please speak with an admissions counselor.
This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
View the online Graduate Divinity Course Guides. (login required)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate for 9-15 credits: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry roles in churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online Christian ministries degree at the graduate or doctoral level. This program will equip ministry professionals with additional training that will assist in developing global outreach programs.
Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and can receive the maximum possible transfer of their online master’s in religion credit.
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- Lay ministry leader
- Teaching pastor
- Religion adjunct teaching
Admission Requirements for the Online M.A.R. in Global Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies in as little as 2 years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary programs through the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity have experienced Christian leaders and professionals who will impart important, time-tested lessons and insights in effective cross-cultural communication and global ministry impact.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.