Bring Global Outreach to Your Ministry with Our Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that allows you to tailor the degree to meet your passions and needs.
Completing an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion can help you become an effective church leader, an administrator in parachurch organizations, and a builder of impactful nonprofit ministries. This degree can also help open the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels. The global studies area of study extends the practical ministry and biblical studies of the online Master of Arts in Religion globally, giving students a broad perspective of world religions and how students may approach different cultures with an effective, fruitful Gospel message. This program is designed for those who are looking to make an impact internationally.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies?
Pursuing a religious degree at the master’s level can be a difficult task as you must find a way to fit challenging coursework into your busy schedule. As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s ministry degrees make this easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Master of Arts in Religion, will give you a complete online college degree that can equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. Students in any of the online Master of Arts in Religion program tracks will receive practical ministry and discipleship training, but our global studies area of concentration provides an important understanding of the religions and cultures of the world.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges and online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE)* to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their M.A.R. content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition rate of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!**
*Subject to transfer limits
**Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master or Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process. The global studies area of focus for the Master of Arts in Religion program provides students with an overview of various world religions to give students a summary of the cultural conflicts they may encounter, such as Islam which is one of the world’s fastest-growing religions.
Students also gain an appreciation for differences in culture through coursework in cultural anthropology and Christianity’s historical impact on the world. The global studies concentration also provides essential practical ministry tools through the Intercultural Communication and Engagement class so that ministry professionals will know the best ways to connect with people in different cultures.
- GLST 525 – Introduction to Islam
- GLST 600 – Cultural Anthropology
- GLST 620 – History of Global Christianity
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication & Engagement
For more information about these courses, please speak with an Admissions Counselor
Degree Information and Requirements
This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
View the online Graduate Divinity Course Syllabi. (login required)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour at part-time.
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: for 9-15 credits, only $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry roles in churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online Christian ministries degree at the graduate or doctoral level. This program will equip ministry professionals with additional training that will assist in developing global outreach programs. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. Program and can receive the maximum possible transfer of their online master’s in religion credit.
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
Admission Requirements for the Online M.A.R. – Global Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete this online Master of Arts in Religion – Global Studies in as little as two years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary programs through the Rawlings School of Divinity have experienced Christian leaders and professionals who will impart important, time-tested lessons and insights in effective cross-cultural communication and global ministry impact.
- Learn from renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
Similar Online Degree Programs
Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative degree.
Master of Arts in Global Studies (M.G.S.) – A more global ministry specific degree with additional flexibility for choosing course content related to a specific culture or world religion.
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) – Global Studies – A more extensive, 75-hour track that can prepare you for Christian leadership and doctoral studies.