The Master of Arts in Religion – Discipleship and Church Ministry Can Help You Lead Effectively
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) Discipleship and Church Ministry is designed to provide students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. Completing an online ministry degree program like the Master of Arts in Religion will enable you to effectively pursue opportunities in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit organizations while opening the door to further study at the doctoral level.
Through the online Master of Arts in Religion’s area of study in discipleship and church ministry, you can learn how to teach with field-specific skills and practical knowledge of how to structure and organize different kinds of ministry. The discipleship and church ministry area of study builds on the core ministry, teaching, biblical studies, and theology studies of the Master of Arts in Religion. The goal of this online degree program is to develop church and ministry leaders who can handle the responsibility and management of larger ministry organizations, but also have a direct impact on small groups and families in their congregation.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Discipleship and Church Ministry Program?
As an accredited online college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing an education easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, can give you an online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. Students in any track of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion will receive foundational instruction in the fundamentals of discipleship ministry, sermon preparation, and practical ministry skills.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges and online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE)* to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their M.A.R. content to the M.Div. degree.
Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- Students attending full time or more (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for an online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!**
*Subject to transfer limits
**Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Discipleship and Church Ministry Degree Program?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
The online Master of Arts in Religion – Discipleship and Church Ministry area of study provides more extensive training in the discipleship of families and small groups. This specialization is further enhanced by an overall strategic perspective of effective Christian ministries that helps it grow and meet new challenges that face large and diverse congregations.
- DSMN 610 – Family Discipleship
- DSMN 630 – Small Group Ministries
- DSMN 660 – Leading a Healthy, Growing, Multiplying Church
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
View the online Graduate Divinity Course Guides. (login required)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: students attending full time or more (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the M.A.R. in Discipleship and Church Ministry degree are charged at a part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online Christian ministries degree at the graduate or doctoral level.
Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and can receive the maximum possible transfer of their online master’s in religion credit.
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- Lay ministry leader
- Teaching pastor
- Religion adjunct teaching
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this online Master of Arts in Religion – Discipleship and Church Ministry in as little as 2 years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary programs through the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity have theologians and experienced professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
- Be equipped to handle challenges in church growth, no matter the size of the ministry.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Admission Requirements for the M.A.R. in Discipleship and Church Ministry
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.