Learn to Defend the Christian Faith with a Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) – Christian Apologetics Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) with the Christian Apologetics area of study is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical study of theology and ministry practice, with advanced content in Christian Apologetics. While completing Liberty’s online ministry degree, students will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to their passions and needs. Students who complete an online degree in theology studies, like the online Master of Arts in Religion, will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit ministry while opening the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels.
Christian Apologetics provides an investigation of important questions by congregations, believers, and unbelievers about the truthfulness and relevance of Scripture and the Christian faith. Through studying important works and individuals in Christian theology, biblical study, and Christian thought, students in the Christian Apologetics area of study will be prepared to meet challenges with truth and love.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Christian Apologetics?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees hold weight as Master’s Degree credentials while still providing the flexibility of a 100% online degree. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Master’s in Religion, will give you a fully-fledged, quality online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. While the online Master of Arts in Religion provides a thorough background in many important ministry skills and knowledge, the Christian Apologetics area of study gives students a further protection against doubts and bolsters their faith as they learn how to address common questions and challenges to Christian doctrine with faith and reason combined.
This degree will equip students with the understanding and skills to explain and reinforce Christianity through the important and fascinating study of Christian Apologetics.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry, subject to transfer limitations.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees in divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of only $2750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Religion Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Christian Apologetics?
Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion can be completed 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online Masters in Religion will provide in-depth topical studies of the Old and New Testament, History of Christianity, Systematic Theology, and the Research, Writing, and sermon preparation process.
The Christian apologetics area of focus for the online Master of Arts in Religion degree leads students through a thorough examination of the history, scripture, theology, and arguments of Christian apologetics. Students will learn to identify and answer challenges to the Christian faith such as supposed conflicts of Christian doctrine with scientific discovery, and the philosophical problem of pain and suffering in the world. Students will learn from important Christian apologists from the early church such as Saint Augustine while gaining modern perspectives from more recent voices like C.S. Lewis. With this foundation of knowledge, students will engage with courses focused on current issues that address modern criticisms of Christianity and the church. The careful study of Christian apologetics in the online Master of Arts in Religion will equip students to be a voice of encouragement to the church, as well as a voice of love and reason to help bring others to Christ.
Students who pursue an online ministry program through Liberty University’s online seminary will also be prepared for an academic career of writing and research, leading to further graduate studies through the Master of Divinity (M.Div.), or a Doctoral program such as the online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.). The online Master of Arts in Religion is a well-balanced, thorough blend of theory and practical studies that will suit students pursuing active ministry as well as academics.
- APOL 520 – History of Christian Apologetics
- APOL 550 – Faith & Reason
- APOL 620 – Evil, Suffering & Hell
- NBST 640 – Apologetics and the New Testament
Highlights of the Online Christian Apologetics Program
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in the field.
- Liberty University’s Online Seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from curriculum developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Grow in your own faith and help bolster others through studying the intersection of scriptural doctrine and logical reasoning in Christian Apologetics.
- You may also be interested in viewing other programs in the Rawlings School of Divinity such as the Master of Arts in Christian Apologetics.
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for an official list of courses and a suggested course sequence.
- View the Graduate Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 9-15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of a Christian Apologetics Online Degree
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue graduate or doctoral studies. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and will receive the maximum possible transfers of their online Masters in Religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching.
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
- K-12 Religion Teaching
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Religion
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommendation
- Unofficial college transcripts can be accepted with a completed transcript request form.**
- Official college transcripts, if available
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.