Prepare for a Future in Healthcare Chaplaincy
Healthcare chaplains – including hospice and hospital chaplains – spend most of their ministry at medical facilities helping the injured, sick, or terminally ill find rest, healing, and spiritual guidance. As a healthcare chaplain, you will often counsel both patients and their families, helping them work through stages of grief, understand their illness, and sometimes process any anger they feel towards their situation. Patients may request that you provide last rites or other religious services.
If you have a passion for providing support and spiritual guidance to patients and their families, then Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Divinity in Professional Chaplaincy – Healthcare is the degree for you. The healthcare field needs uplifting individuals like you to present the hope of Christ during troubling times.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy?
If you are looking to pursue full-time ministry, a Master of Divinity is the best program for you. Our M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy offers you 63 credit hours of core ministry coursework to learn all the skills you’ll need to lead with confidence and integrity in your ministry. Whether you come into this program with a ministry-related bachelor’s degree or not, you can be confident that you will gain the skills you need to be career-ready when you graduate.
In order to provide you with the best educational experience possible, we offer our program 100% online with optional intensives. These intensives give you the opportunity to come to our residential campus if you would like to explore Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in-person with your professors.
You can also choose to get CPE in an approved setting near you while completing the class requirement with Liberty online. Whether you choose to complete this experience on campus or remotely, CPE training can help you stand out and pursue additional credentials as a chaplain.
What Will You Learn in Our Professional Chaplaincy – Healthcare Master’s Degree?
In all of our professional chaplaincy degrees, you will complete 63 credit hours of ministry-focused studies. You will complete courses that explore other religions, the history of Christianity, and best practices in bridging the gap between the two. Additionally, you will take Greek and Hebrew classes designed to increase your understanding of Scripture from its original languages.
Within the healthcare chaplaincy track, you will complete courses specific to those who want to work in various healthcare settings. You can pursue an internship or choose from various electives in healthcare chaplaincy. You can also complete up to 4 units of CPE – a requirement for some hospital chaplain positions – to advance your chaplaincy experience before entering the field.
- CHPL 621 – Level 1 Unit 1 Clinical Pastoral Education Online*
- CHPL 645 – Chaplain Resilient Leaders
- CHPL 681 – Healthcare Chaplaincy
- CRIS 608 – Trauma Assessment and Interventions
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Professional Chaplaincy Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online professional chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
Healthcare Chaplaincy Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Professional Chaplaincy Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 or above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Divinity are charged at the part-time rate.
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Pastoral contact information
- John W. Rawlings School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Career Opportunities for Healthcare Chaplaincy Graduates
- Hospice chaplain
- Hospital chaplain*
*This position may require 4 units of CPE and board certification.