Receive Training in Workplace Chaplaincy and Corporate Chaplaincy with Liberty’s M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy Program
Liberty’s M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy – Community is designed for leaders like you who wish to meet the spiritual needs of a community. While the term “professional chaplain” typically does not refer to a specific type of faith, our community chaplain degree online will provide you with a biblical framework from a Judeo-Christian worldview. If you’re a full-time minister who is interested in corporate chaplain jobs or the study of workplace chaplaincy, our M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy – Community may be a great fit for you.
Our online chaplaincy program can help prepare you to provide support and promote emotional wellness in a variety of corporate settings. With the constant presence of sin and tragedy in this life, there will always be a need for Christ in our communities. Partner with Liberty to get the ministry training you need to help the hurting and faithfully steward the Gospel.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy – Community Chaplaincy?
If you are looking to pursue full-time ministry, a Master of Divinity may be a great fit for you. Our M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy offers 63 credit hours of core ministry coursework to help you master the skills you’ll need to lead confidently in your local church or chaplaincy ministry.
Whether you come into this program with a ministry-related bachelor’s degree or not, this marketplace chaplaincy degree program can help you gain the skills you need to be career-ready when you graduate. Several graduates of this program have gone on to work for Corporate Chaplains of America.
In order to provide you with the best educational experience possible, we offer our program 100% online with optional intensives. These intensives give you the opportunity to come to our residential campus if you would like to explore Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in person with your professors.
With mentorship from experienced chaplaincy professionals, you can gain the skills you need without compromising your principles in order to serve as a chaplain. Our flexible format will allow you to choose how you complete your CPE-accredited units either as intensives or with a CPE program in your community. These units are available as on-campus modules accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) or as 100% online courses to guide you through your local CPE program.
CPE Residential Intensives vs. Online Mentoring
Liberty University’s professional chaplaincy degree offers 2 paths to complete your CPE-accredited training:
- These ACPE-accredited courses are taught as 1-week on-campus intensives by Liberty’s ACPE Certified Educators.
- You will work in a ministry setting near you to perform clinical training with guidance and approval from our CPE program director.
- Pursue your chaplain training online with our 100% online courses, which are taught by Liberty’s divinity professors.
- You will work through an accredited CPE training program in your area and gain additional skills and training with the mentorship of Liberty’s experienced chaplaincy professionals.
What Will You Learn in Our Professional Chaplaincy – Community Master’s Degree?
In this professional chaplaincy degree, you will complete a core of ministry-focused courses. You will explore other religions, the history of Christianity, and best practices for bridging the gap between Christianity and other faiths. Additionally, you will take Greek and Hebrew classes designed to increase your understanding of Scripture in its original languages.
Within the community chaplaincy track, you will learn more about what it takes to effectively pursue a career in chaplaincy. You will also be taught crisis intervention principles and spiritual guidance practice for pastoral counseling. From there, you can choose to complete up to 2 units of CPE to advance your chaplaincy experience before entering the field. If you are interested in providing spiritual care as a marketplace or workplace chaplain, this degree program may be a great fit for you.
- CHPL 645 – Chaplain Resilient Leaders
- CHPL 682 – Community Chaplaincy
- CRIS 607 – PTSD and Combat-Related Trauma
- CRIS 609 – Complex Trauma and Disasters
Highlights of Our Professional Chaplaincy Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online professional chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Community Chaplaincy Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Professional Chaplaincy Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 or above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Divinity are charged at the part-time rate.
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Pastoral contact information
- John W. Rawlings School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Career Opportunities for Community Chaplaincy Graduates
- Corporate chaplain
- Marketplace chaplain
- Workplace chaplain