Further Your Knowledge of Scripture with Liberty University’s Biblical Studies Certificate
If you want to dive deeper into Scripture and increase your ministry effectiveness, Liberty University’s online Graduate Certificate in Biblical Studies is for you. Our program provides an in-depth study of both the Old and New Testaments, focusing on context, authorial purpose, hermeneutics, and theme development.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics: Religious Workers, All Other, 2020 (viewed online June 21, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
With practical training from our seasoned faculty, you can gain advanced knowledge that can help you serve effectively in the areas of doctrine, evangelism, and discipleship. Partner with us and become a Champion for Christ within the church.
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in Biblical Studies
Our biblical studies certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Associate pastor
- Ministry associate
The skills that you gain from our certificate in biblical studies can be an asset in many other aspects of the ministry world as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the MDiv – General or the master’s in biblical studies. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a biblical studies certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Why Choose Our Certificate in Biblical Studies?
Whether you’re looking to prepare for seminary, bolster your ministry, or gain a deeper understanding of the Bible, we have what you need. In this certificate program, you will study under professors who have years of experience in pastoring churches and conducting missions. They can help teach you the interpretation skills you need to understand complex theological debates and doctrine.
What are the benefits of earning a Graduate Certificate in Biblical Studies?
This certificate is a great option if you want to strengthen your knowledge of Scripture in a short amount of time. At only 12 credit hours, Liberty University’s online certificate in biblical studies can be completed in as little as 1 semester. Our program can help equip you to pursue new career opportunities or boost your job performance. And, if you later decide to complete a full graduate degree, the certificate credits you earn can transfer seamlessly into a related master’s program.
What is the difference between biblical studies and theology?
Biblical studies involves an in-depth, systematic analysis of each book of the Bible. It dives into matters such as authorship, canon, text, criticism, and interpretation. In contrast, theology looks more broadly at the overarching themes, topics, and categories of the Bible as a whole.
Liberty University’s graduate certificate is designed to work with your schedule. With 8-week courses and no set login times, our online certificate program offers the flexibility you need to further your education and pursue your career goals. You can complete your courses whenever and wherever you need, allowing you to stay active in your family, job, church, and community. We’re committed to offering high-quality academics and real-world training while keeping your total cost of tuition down.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Home Bible Study Courses?
By pursuing biblical studies at Liberty University, you can become better equipped for ministry in a variety of settings. Our graduate certificate contains a complete study of the Old and New Testaments. You can examine the social, political, and historical contexts of Scripture, as well as the basic themes, issues, and schools of thought in Christian theology. This program can help provide the tools you need to integrate biblical knowledge with contemporary world issues and events.
Gain the critical thinking skills needed to effectively interpret Scripture and analyze your specific area of interest within the Bible. As a Christian university, our online biblical studies program seeks to develop Christ-centered individuals who can positively impact our culture. Our mission is to help you become a church leader who is guided by duty, honor, and morality, so you are prepared to make a difference in your community.
Take an in-depth look at the literature and message of the Bible. In this program, you can learn how to analyze the literary features of Scripture, defend an evangelical view of the Bible, and apply biblical teachings to the practice of the Christian life. Maybe you want to improve your effectiveness as a church leader, or perhaps you want to enrich your personal walk with Christ. Either way, our faculty can help equip you to serve as a Champion for Christ in your church and community.
- NBST 515 – New Testament Orientation I
- NBST 520 – New Testament Orientation II
- OBST 515 – Old Testament Orientation I
- OBST 520 – Old Testament Orientation II
Highlights of Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Christian Bible Studies
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our biblical studies graduate certificate program can be completed in 1 semester.
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
- Liberty University’s Bible classes are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Biblical Studies Certificate Information
- This online certificate program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Certificate Program in Biblical Studies
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (9-15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Bible Study Certificate Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommender Contact Information
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.