Disciple Tomorrow’s Leaders with a Religion Degree in Next Generation Ministries
With Liberty’s B.S. in Religion – Next Generation Ministries degree, you can learn how to create safe environments across ministry programs, design a spiritual formation strategy for the family, actively engage in student ministry, and develop the leadership skills necessary to lead in the local church. Whether you intend to lead on campus or as a youth pastor, a degree in NextGen ministry can help you provide purposeful and intentional ministry to the youth of future generations. At Liberty, you won’t just learn to impact young adults for Christ — you can become equipped to actively engage the younger generation and prepare students for their future with a student ministry degree.
Additionally, a bachelor’s degree in religion can help you work in ministry organizations or prepare to attend seminary through our John W. Rawlings School of Divinity. Liberty’s rich history as a Christian university with graduates serving around the globe makes pursuing our B.S. in Religion – NextGen a great choice to advance your educational career!
Why Choose Our Online Religion Degree in Next Generation Ministries?
Liberty University is one of the largest Christian universities in the world with a unique mission of Training Champions for Christ. At the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, you will see our mission in action and discover ways to meaningfully equip the next generation of young people to meet the needs of believers and unbelievers alike. In this program, you can learn from professors who have the same passion for ministry as you do and who have served in both professional and leadership settings as pastors, missionaries, and educators.
With a NextGen youth ministry degree, you can gain the skills you need to impact families and communities where they are while maintaining the biblical rigor that you expect with a bachelor’s degree in religion. The real-world applications you gain through a NextGen ministry degree will be valuable to both you and your community — allowing you to make an impact for Christ and teach others to do the same.
Our Bachelor of Science in Religion – NextGen degree is offered completely online, giving you the freedom to personalize your degree to best fit your schedule. Additionally, our online courses have no set login times, which gives you the flexibility to study whenever and wherever you need to.
Earning a degree that is focused on the next generation of ministry and the nuances of the 21st century, like our B.S. in Religion – Next Gen, is a crucial way to impact the world for Christ!
Below are some common questions you may have about this program:
What is NextGen?
NextGen is an abbreviated form of the phrase “next generation.” Our NextGen ministries degree has a unique focus on preparing you to impact young people in their communities today so that they can impact the world tomorrow.
How do I connect with the next generation?
Connecting with the next generation involves purposeful and intentional ministry, which begins in your community. By studying online at Liberty University, you will be uniquely positioned and trained to impact the next generation and their families.
How do I become a youth pastor?
Becoming a youth pastor typically involves formal religious education, ministry training or experience, and a heart for the people that God loves. Many churches do require that students have a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), and the Bachelor of Science in Religion – NextGen can provide a solid biblical foundation for a career in ministry. For specific requirements, please contact the organization that you are seeking employment with.
What is the difference between a youth pastor and a campus pastor?
A youth pastor typically oversees a body of young people in the context of a church. In contrast, a campus pastor typically presides over a body of students, which may not necessarily be within a church.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Religion – NextGen Degree?
With a future in next generation ministry, it is essential that you know how to work with youth from early childhood through young adulthood as well as with their families. Through this degree, you can develop the problem-solving skills needed to apply biblical principles to contemporary issues that are prevalent for ministry leaders to reach the next generation.
With classes that discuss the theology of the family, campus ministry, and theological interpretation of Scripture, you can be prepared to impact your community in a unique and practical way. Your courses will be taught by faculty who are committed to Training Champions for Christ and equipping you with a solid biblical foundation in crucial aspects associated with ministry.
In our B.S. in Religion – NextGen degree program, you can learn how to prepare children in real-life situations. You will be able to analyze the role of youth ministry within the context of the local church, describe biblical philosophy and how it relates to youth ministry, apply a biblical framework for understanding families and the roles within a family, and much more.
A Bachelor of Science in Religion – NextGen degree is also a great foundation to further your education through one of Liberty’s online master’s degree programs down the road.
- THEO 330 – Theology of the Family
- THEO 360 – Biblical Theology
- YOUT 201 – Survey of Youth Ministries
- YOUT 350 – Campus Ministry
Highlights of Our NextGen Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online B.S. in Religion degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty graduates are frequently sought after for employment opportunities for their integrity, personal discipline, and quality.
- Students enrolled in our bachelor’s in religion degree will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal.
B.S. Religion – NextGen Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Religion – NextGen
- Associate pastor
- Children’s pastor/director
- Christian education director
- Church administrator
- College ministry pastor/director
- Ministry associate
- Next generation pastor
- Youth pastor/director
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Bachelor’s in Religion Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
Official college transcripts
Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
High School Self-Certification form
Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.