Develop Innovative Products and Services That Meet the Needs of Consumers with Liberty’s MA in Human-Centered Design Degree
Whether you’re creating a digital interface or a physical product, it’s vital that you consider the wants and needs of your target audience. With Liberty’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Human-Centered Design degree, you can learn how to offer goods and services that are useful and appeal to people on a deeper level – aesthetically, creatively, and even emotionally.
This master’s degree provides an in-depth look at ideation techniques, user experience fundamentals, rapid prototyping, and design theories. By learning how to keep the end user at the forefront of the design process, you can become equipped to improve products, services, processes, spaces, education, interactions, and more. The skills you gain through this program can be an asset as you conduct research, develop prototypes, test products, and prepare goods and services for mass production.
From product design to mobile app development and more, numerous fields use human-centered design methods to ensure that the products and services being offered meet consumers’ needs, desires, and expectations. Perhaps you already work in an industry that relies on human-centered design, or maybe you’re looking to get started in a relevant career for the first time. Either way, our human-centered design master’s online can help you formulate creative solutions to ensure a positive user experience.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Human-Centered Design Degree Online?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985. We’ve spent decades perfecting our world-class curriculum to meet your needs as a student and as a professional, so you can get the training you need from the comfort of home. Our master’s in human-centered design is offered 100% online with no set login times – giving you the flexibility to fit your studies into your schedule. Not only that, but you can complete this degree in as little as 1 year – allowing you to save time and money!
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, we rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your degree from a school with this kind of recognition can help you stand out as you pursue exciting new job opportunities.
In this program, you’ll study under professors who have years of experience working in user experience design, product design, and more. With their guidance, you can become equipped to apply principles of human-centered design to your area of expertise. The skills you’ll learn throughout this program can be an asset as you seek to understand and respond to the needs of consumers – so you can develop innovative products, services, and systems that are tailored to your target audience.
What Will You Learn in Our Human-Centered Design Master’s Program?
Our human-centered design courses offer a blend of theory and practical application, giving you a well-rounded base of knowledge for your career. This program can foster competencies in user experience, prototyping, product design, user interface, interaction design, user research, visual design, and more.
Some of the specific topics you’ll explore include:
- Aesthetic principles and design software used for visualizing data, processes, prototypes, hierarchies, and frameworks
- Design theories that influence, entice, motivate, excite, and communicate with audiences
- Digital and physical prototyping methods
- How to identify opportunities for innovation and improved user experience
- Ideation techniques used to generate iterative and innovative design solutions
- The components of design thinking as a methodology for solving problems in innovative ways
- The empathic design process and design research methods
- User experience principles as applied to digital and physical experiences in a variety of contexts
You’ll also participate in 2 design labs focused on the study and practice-based application of human-centered design to products, processes, and learning. To wrap up your studies, you’ll complete a capstone project – which gives you the chance to incorporate all aspects of human-centered design to produce and propose innovative solutions to real-world problems.
- ARTS 500 – Aesthetics and Technology
- ARTS 601 – Prototyping: Ideas to Action
- DSGN 500 – Fundamentals of Design for Social Innovation
- DSGN 625 – Principles of User Experience for the Physical and Digital World
Highlights of Our Human-Centered Design Master’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- You can complete this human-centered design master’s degree in as little as 1 year!
- Learn from dedicated faculty who bring years of experience to the online classroom.
- Receive a top-notch education from a university that is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Human-Centered Design Master’s Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Communication and the Arts.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Communication and the Arts Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Master’s in Human-Centered Design Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Human-Centered Design Master’s Program
- Commercial and industrial designer
- Experience design lead
- Graphic designer
- Head of product design
- Human factors engineer
- User experience designer
- User experience researcher
- User interface designer
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Human-Centered Design Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.