Learn How to Design and Develop Characters for Books, Games, and More with a B.S. in Digital Design – Character Design!
Imagine creating a character that will be loved by children everywhere for years to come. What if you designed a character for a game that became a bestseller? Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Digital Design – Character Design can help prepare you for these sorts of accomplishments. Take your talent to new heights with skills in character design for films, games, children’s books, graphic novels, and more!
At Liberty, you can train to become a skilled graphic artist with knowledge of the latest methods used in studio and digital arts. You will study the latest techniques and technology for both 2D and 3D design and learn how your designs can affect culture and society. You can also gain essential skills in typography, vector illustration, and digital imaging. These wide-ranging skills can provide you with a solid foundation to begin your digital design career.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Character Designer Degree?
Pursuing a bachelor’s degree is a big investment, and here at Liberty, we want to make sure that you have the right degree for your goals. In our character designer program, we provide you the opportunity to gain useful graphic design skills that can enhance your ability to create memorable characters. Additionally, you can turn that knowledge into wisdom as you complete the practicum and undergraduate internship.
What does a character designer do?
As a character designer, you are responsible for creating the look of characters for a variety of areas. You might design characters for children’s books, comic books, graphic novels, games, and more. Designing the costumes and clothes, poses, facial features, and expressions is all part of the development of characters. As part of your training at Liberty, you can learn how to compile a professional portfolio that demonstrates your skills as a character designer to increase your marketability.
As a character design major, you’ll have access to cutting-edge course content as well as the opportunity to complete a practicum and an internship in a graphic design setting. You’ll also study under faculty who have advanced degrees and years of experience in the digital design field. Their guidance can help strengthen your skills and give you the digital design techniques you need to further your career.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in Character Design Degree Online?
As you begin your degree on how to become a character designer, you will first cover a broad range of topics to ensure that your education is well-rounded and balanced. You will study math and science as well as develop your writing and critical thinking skills in your general education classes.
Throughout this degree program, you’ll learn about the latest in art design as well as gain a historical perspective of art from the early ages up until the present. You will also study the interactions of technology, art, and culture throughout history and see how culture has changed because of these interactions. From the printing press to the iPhone, technology has affected art and will continue to do so into the future.
Another part of your studies will involve games and their effect on society. As technology has grown, the gaming industry has surpassed the film industry and needs individuals who can help shape the future for the better. You will gain invaluable knowledge regarding the latest in professional practices and learn how to best showcase your creative work as you enter the job force. At Liberty, we don’t just want you to get an education — we want to prepare you for your career, which is why all of our courses are taught from a Christian worldview and are centered on providing career skills.
- ARTS 114 – Introduction to 3D Design
- ARTS 214 – Art, Culture, and Technology
- ARTS 222 – Introduction to Graphic Design
- ARTS 474 – Interactive Game Development
Bachelor’s in Character Design Degree Online Information
- This program falls under the School of Communication and the Arts.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Communication and the Arts Course Guides (login required).
- In this graphic design degree, you will receive hands-on training through a 30-hour practicum and a 180-hour internship.
Military Benefits for the Character Design Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Bachelor’s Degree in Character Design Potential Job Opportunities
- Character designer
- Children’s book artist
- Comic book artist
- Concept artist
- Graphic novelist
Highlights of Our Online Character Design Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years ̶ and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can experience a challenging and rewarding curriculum through graphic design online courses and have access to Adobe Creative Cloud products like Photoshop and InDesign.
- The portfolio project in this degree can become an invaluable promotional tool to help you secure a job in the character and graphic design industry.
- The on-the-job training you’ll receive in this degree program can help equip you to better market yourself, land interviews, and receive job offers.
- Developing a professional network is also a positive outcome of earning a digital design online degree. By connecting with peers, alumni, and instructors, you will have a broad network of design professionals who can support and guide you.
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Bachelor’s in Digital Character Design Degree Online
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.