Help Businesses, Sports Teams, and Fans with Their Travel and Event Needs with a Master’s Degree in Sport Tourism
An online master’s degree in tourism provides a credential that most businesses look for in their hospitality managers and tourism directors. A degree in tourism can provide you with the business skills and education necessary to manage travel agencies, plan conventions and events, organize cultural attractions, facilitate operations at hotels, theme parks, casinos, and resorts, as well as arrange individual, group, or corporate tours and trips.
Throughout our tourism degree, you will explore our core sports management curriculum including topics like marketing and public relations, sports outreach, and legal and economic studies so that you are prepared to lead in the sports arena. Our tourism specialization will prepare you for the sport and event planning that comes along with working in the sporting industry.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Sports Tourism Online?
If you have a love of sports that goes beyond the game and into event planning, hospitality management, or tourism, then our master’s in sports management degree with a specialization in tourism should be at the top of your list. Our online program will help build your professional skill set and résumé. Because the Master of Science in Sports Management is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), you will gain a credible education in our 100% online format and will learn how to help those in the sports industry plan events, conferences, and dream vacations!
We integrate biblical principles into our Master of Science in Sports Management – Tourism degree online to blend academic excellence with personal integrity so you can be qualified to lead by example. We live out our mission to help you become a successful professional and individual in sports management and tourism.
Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Sports Management – Tourism (Thesis-track)
- Increased job opportunities in the fields of tourism, hospitality, and sports administration
- Professors with years of real-life experience teaching your online master’s in sports management and tourism courses
- Convenient 8-week, 100% online courses
- Transfer in up to 50% of your required classes (visit the transfer policy page for more information)
What Will You Learn in Our Thesis-track Master’s in Sports Tourism?
Our M.S. in Sports Management – Tourism degree online features a combination of foundational courses in sports management, hospitality, and tourism. Our tourism specialization includes training in marketing, sports, and event tourism planning, as well as travel, law, and sports outreach.
Our thesis track requires you to propose a thesis topic of interest and defend it once it is completed. The thesis track of our tourism degree is an excellent option if you are planning to pursue a doctoral program in the future.
- TOUR 601 – Current Issues and Theories for Hospitality and Tourism Management
- TOUR 602 – Hospitality and Tourism Marketing Strategy
- TOUR 603 – Sport and Event Tourism Planning and Impacts
M.S. in Sports Management – Tourism (Thesis Track) Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University’s online Master of Science in Sports Management is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
- Translate your passion for tourism, hospitality, and event planning to a profession and gain greater fulfillment or advancement in your career.
- Dive deep into the tourism industry with in-depth, guided research in the integrated thesis project.
Online Master’s in Sports Management Degree Information
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- Students are required to complete a comprehensive exam before registering for SMGT 689 and SMGT 690.
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with an M.S. in Sports Tourism
A degree in sports management – tourism can open the door to careers including:
- Athletic event planner
- Event planner
- Hotel management
- International tour guide
- Travel agent
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Sports Management – Tourism (Thesis Track)
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.