Combine your Passion for People with Your Desire to Explore Technology in Our Master’s in Health Informatics Degree
Our M.S. in Health Informatics will help you learn how to make a difference in the lives of patients by facilitating the management and use of patient healthcare information. The health informatics field is multifaceted, using information technology to improve patient care through better quality, efficiency, and new healthcare opportunities. If you have a passion for serving others in the healthcare field and enjoy being an advocate for those in need, this could be the career path for you!
Our master’s in healthcare informatics degree program can be completed 100% online for your convenience as a working professional. This is good news for you, as the job growth for medical records technicians is much faster than the average at 11% over the next 10 years.* Work towards a career that could both save a life and provide you with financial security.
Throughout our online Master of Science in Health Informatics degree, you will be provided with the knowledge and skills needed to merge the technological and relational sides of healthcare. Liberty’s health informatics degree online is meant to help you increase your knowledge as a health professional in the rapidly changing healthcare technology field. We want to help you graduate ready to meet the demand for strong leaders in health informatics!
What is Health Informatics?
Online health informatics programs train people to combine the two fields of healthcare and information technology to organize, manage, and secure health information. People in this field use various classification systems to code and categorize patient information for insurance reimbursement purposes and to maintain patients’ medical and treatment histories.
A lot of your work in this field may deal with databases but you can also expect to:
- Review patient records for timeliness and accuracy of data
- Track patient outcomes to ensure a quality assessment
- Use classification software to assign clinical codes for insurance reimbursement
- Maintain the confidentiality of patient records by creating secure databases
Another related job field is that of a cancer registrar. This is a very specialized area concentrating on maintaining and analyzing the data related to cancer patients. You would help to track the treatment, survival, and recovery of patients with all types of cancers.
There are many employment opportunities in this field due to government mandates for access to health information. Understanding the language, terminology, and coding needed to create the databases that are needed for this field is essential. Liberty’s health informatics degree will help you gain the skills needed to work on and manage these huge databases.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Health Informatics Online Degree?
Our online M.S. in Health Informatics degree provides the training you need to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, security, and innovation of information technology. This 42 credit hour online master’s in health informatics program is designed for individuals seeking careers in a health-related occupation. Following the mission of Liberty University, our master’s in health informatics faculty members strive to educate holistically, teaching the values, knowledge, and expertise that health informatics requires to improve IT solutions and meet the needs of effective health delivery.
Liberty University strives for continual improvement to promote student success. We provide you with an avenue that allows you to learn database design, health policy, and public health research methods. For this reason, our faculty teaches courses with experience, mastery of the concepts being taught, and solid biblical foundations. Your experience at Liberty should not only be rewarding but it should also push you outside of your comfort zone so you can excel in the program and the field.
Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Health Informatics Online
- Increase in job opportunities in healthcare organizations after completing our Master of Science in Health Informatics online degree.
- Liberty graduates are frequently sought after by prestigious companies for their integrity, personal discipline, and versatility.
- Learn from experienced professors in the field of healthcare technology.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This accreditation means your degree will be well respected in your chosen field.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Master’s in Health Informatics Degree?
A career in health informatics is a great way to integrate your passion for helping people with the latest technological advancements in the healthcare industry. Liberty University’s online M.S. in Health Informatics degree is designed to train you in cutting-edge technologies so you can create a better experience for every patient.
Focusing on the foundations of health informatics, you will gain the essential tools needed for leading and managing information technology (IT) projects. You will also learn the essential skills for statistical reasoning and methods in addressing, analyzing, and solving problems in healthcare and biomedical research.
Your training will also include emerging information systems as you take the next step in your education. This will enable you to quickly meet the changing needs of health care delivery systems. With Liberty’s online master’s in health informatics, you can be confident that the knowledge and in-demand skills you gain in your degree will prepare you for a rewarding career.
Health Informatics Featured Courses
- BMIS 680 — Advanced Project Management I
- HLTH 501 — Biostatistics
- INFO 545 — Health Care Information Systems and Integrated Technologies
- INFO 505 — Health Informatics
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, (visited March 14, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Highlights of Our Online Master’s in Health Informatics Degree
- Tuition for our master’s in health informatics online degree and other online programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other schools have raised tuition for their programs, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your master’s in healthcare informatics online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Students enrolled in our master’s in health informatics online degree program will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal.
You can complete this degree in 2 years!
Master’s in Health Informatics Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Master’s in Health Informatics Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Health Informatics Degree
After completion of our master’s in health informatics online degree, you have the opportunity to pursue a career in many healthcare fields, a few of which are listed below.
- Cancer registrar
- Data administrator
- Data networking analyst
- Health information manager
- Health information technician
- Medical coder
- Systems integration specialist
Admission Requirements for the Master’s in Health Informatics Online Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.