Your Future in Cyberspace Begins with Liberty’s Online Master’s in Cyber Security
The rise of digital technology is transforming our world — but with it come those who take advantage of technology’s power to commit crime. Use your career, passions, and skills to fight for justice in all settings and to protect businesses, organizations, and individuals. Earn a master’s in cybersecurity and join the fight to protect information in cyberspace.
With Liberty University’s 100% online cybersecurity master’s degree, you will engage in exciting classes. You’ll be taught how to maintain an advanced defense of computer and network security, combat existing threats, and bolster systems to withstand future attacks.
Our cybersecurity master’s program focuses on providing you with the analytical framework necessary for the prevention, detection, countering, and recovery from security vulnerabilities and cyber incidents. You will also study the standards and best practices related to an organization’s cyberspace infrastructure.
Organizations of all types and sizes rely on knowledgeable cybersecurity experts to protect important information and data. Whether you’re new to this field or are looking to brush up on your skills, Liberty’s Master of Science in Cyber Security is a great option. Partner with us and find your niche in the exciting field of information security.
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America.
We’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
An online master’s in cybersecurity can help prepare you for a wide variety of positions in the field of cybersecurity.
One common career for those who have completed their master’s in cybersecurity is that of information security analyst. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for information security analysts in 2020 was $103,590.* This field is projected to grow 33% from 2020 to 2030 — much faster than the overall average for jobs.*
With booming job availability and the potential for high pay, a master’s degree in cybersecurity is well worth the investment!
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Information Security Analysts (viewed online Jan. 11, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Cybersecurity Online?
Choosing where to pursue your graduate degree can be challenging. At Liberty, we offer the perfect blend of flexibility, affordability, and rigorous academics, so you can get the knowledge, credentials, and training you need to pursue your unique goals.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Credibility | As one of the leading Christian universities in the nation, we seek to promote academic excellence in all of our programs. Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – so you can be confident that you’re receiving an education of the highest caliber.
- Experienced Faculty | Our master’s degree in cybersecurity online is taught by seasoned professionals who have advanced degrees and years of experience in the field. With their guidance, you can gain valuable insight into the world of cybersecurity and develop marketable skills that could help you stand out to employers.
- Ethical Training | Liberty’s master’s in cybersecurity online professors are dedicated to helping you grow into a passionate, principled professional. They will teach you how to handle various ethical issues within your discipline, so you can stand out as a person of integrity in the workplace.
- Flexible Courses | Liberty is proud to offer the Master of Science in Cybersecurity 100% online with no set login times. With this flexible format, you can earn your degree while continuing to dedicate time to your job, family, and community. Additionally, our cybersecurity master’s degree online can be completed in just 1.5 years! At Liberty, you can earn your master’s in cybersecurity online in less time than on a traditional campus – allowing you to fast-track your graduate-level training.
- Hands-On Application | Our cybersecurity master’s program online includes a final capstone project that will provide you with a hands-on opportunity to test the knowledge and skills you’ve gained throughout the program. This can help you apply your coursework to real security situations, enhance your résumé, and boost your marketability as a job candidate.
What Will You Learn in Our Cyber Security Master’s Online?
Understanding the legal and technical implications of today’s digital age is critical to promoting justice and combating cyber attacks. Liberty’s master’s in cybersecurity can teach you the language of the digital world. Our online cyber security courses focus on ethics, legal considerations, and practical computer skills. You can learn how to acquire, examine, and interpret digital evidence through cryptography and hacking.
Some of the specific topics you’ll dive into include:
- Best practices for threat and risk evaluation, assurance cases, and adversarial testing
- Methods for writing, developing, and operating secure and dependable software systems
- Security and privacy issues that arise in the field and how to mitigate them
- The nature of specific threats, such as malicious code, network attacks, and hostile content
- The use of forensic technology to collect, preserve, and prepare digital evidence in a forensically sound manner
Our master’s degree in cybersecurity online also offers a capstone project that involves hands-on experience, so you can apply the concepts learned in the program to a real-life setting. Upon completion of the capstone course, you can be better equipped to use your critical thinking and problem-solving skills to overcome real-world cybersecurity challenges.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Cyber Security Degree
Career options continue to grow for students who complete a master’s in cybersecurity online degree program. Technology is becoming increasingly integrated into our day-to-day lives, which makes a cybersecurity degree invaluable.
As a graduate of our online master’s in cybersecurity, you may pursue a variety of job opportunities that involve safeguarding secret governmental information or protecting important data within the private sector. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Cyber crime analyst/investigator
- Digital forensics analyst
- Ethical hacker
- Information security analyst
- Penetration tester
- Security architect
- Security engineer
- Security management specialist
- Security software developer
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the online master’s in cyber security program?
As you research various cyber security schools online, you’re likely seeking a program that will help you gain valuable skills without requiring prolonged years of study. You want a degree that provides academic rigor and respected credentials while allowing you to maximize your time and save money.
At Liberty, we have just what you’re looking for! Our 100% online cyber security master’s degree can be completed in as little as 1.5 years. The exact amount of time you spend on your cyber security master’s degree online will ultimately depend on a number of factors – including your number of transfer credits, your success in each course, and the number of classes you take each semester. However, most students can finish this program in less than 2 years, making Liberty University’s cyber security degree a great option for working professionals, those with families, and anyone else with a busy schedule!
Can I apply to Liberty’s cyber security master’s online without experience?
Real-world experience is an essential asset that can help you move upward in your field and pursue positions of added responsibility. However, maybe you’re new to the field of cybersecurity, or perhaps you recently graduated from college and don’t have much professional experience. If that’s the case, don’t worry – Liberty’s online cyber security master’s degree program may still be an option for you.
At Liberty, we don’t require work experience as a prerequisite for admission. You do need to fulfill certain educational requirements and course prerequisites (view our admission requirements page for more information), but this program is open to both seasoned professionals and applicants with little to no experience. No matter where you are in your career, our cyber security online master’s degree can help you get the training you need.
How much does the online master’s degree in cyber security cost?
Liberty’s online programs are typically charged by the credit hour. Our master’s in cyber security online follows our standard graduate tuition rate of $565/credit hour for full-time students. We offer a variety of scholarship opportunities and discounts – including a discount for military service members – so your total cost of tuition may be even lower! At Liberty, we’re committed to providing competitive tuition rates so you can pursue your education goals at a lower cost.
What can I do with an online master’s in cyber security?
The field of cybersecurity stretches across many industries, and pursuing Liberty University’s cyber security master’s degree online can help you gain a well-rounded, versatile skill set for use in a variety of career paths. This growing, in-demand field requires strong technical knowledge and an understanding of current trends and challenges in information security.
Cyber security professionals work in numerous sectors, with jobs available at public and private organizations alike. Maybe you want to work for a private, for-profit business, or perhaps you want to pursue a job with the government. You may even be interested in working for a nonprofit organization. All of these areas and more rely on cyber security professionals to guard against cyber attacks.
Some of the industries you could work in with a cyber security graduate degree include:
Wondering what specific roles you may qualify for? Here are some of the most popular career paths for graduates of our cyber security graduate program online:
- Chief information security officer (CISO)
- Cybersecurity engineer
- Ethical hacker
- Information security crime investigator
- Security auditor
What are the master’s in cyber security salary prospects?
Your earnings will ultimately depend on a number of factors, including where you live, what jobs you pursue, and how much work experience you have. However, in general, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that professionals who held a master’s degree in 2020 earned approximately 18% more each week than those whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree.* Completing a cyber security master’s program online can be a great way to boost your earning potential!
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2020 (viewed online Jan. 11, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Which master’s degree is best for cyber security jobs?
At Liberty, we offer a wide variety of cybersecurity degrees so you can find the program that best suits your goals and aspirations. The Master of Science in Cyber Security offers an in-depth look at many essential skills in the field, with courses in digital forensics, legal issues, cryptography, security engineering, ethical hacking, and more.
If you want to focus specifically on cyber security in the context of information systems or technology, we have other degrees that may better fit your needs. Check out a full list of Liberty University’s online cyber security programs for more options! Additionally, be sure to research the exact requirements for the job or industry you want to go into. That way, you can pick the best master’s degree for you.
What classes will I take in Liberty’s cybersecurity program?
Liberty’s cyber security master’s degree online consists of 12 courses that are designed to help you protect computer systems and networks from theft, damage, disruption, misdirection, and unauthorized access. Each cyber security online course explores a different aspect of the cybersecurity world with the goal of strengthening your technical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Liberty’s master’s degree in cyber security includes the following courses:
- CSCI 501 – Overview of Computer Security
- CSCI 511 – Digital Forensics
- CSCI 561 – Ethics, Legal Issues, and Policy
- CSCI 601 – Applied Network Security
- CSCI 605 – Applied Cryptography
- CSCI 611 – Secure Software Engineering
- CSCI 612 – Security Engineering
- CSCI 620 – Issues in Security, Privacy, and Anonymity
- CSCI 631 – Web Security
- CSCI 632 – Ethical Hacking
- CSCI 651 – Advanced Topics in Computer Security
- CSCI 681 – Capstone Project
How does the online cyber security degree program work?
Earning an online Master of Science in Cybersecurity can be an effective way to balance your work, family, and educational commitments. As a pioneer in distance learning since 1985, Liberty knows how to create flexible online programs that fit your schedule. We want to help you pursue your educational goals without putting your life on hold.
Our online master’s in cyber security consists of 100% online, 8-week courses with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times. What does this mean for you? It means you won’t have to wait until the beginning of the traditional school year to start your degree at Liberty. Our online programs are offered over the course of 3 semesters (spring, summer, and fall), so you’ll have ample opportunity to start pursuing your degree when it’s most convenient for you.
Additionally, as you complete the cyber security master’s program online, you won’t need to log in at specific times for lectures. Instead, you can access your course materials and complete your assignments on your schedule (as long as each assignment is submitted by the due date). Our cyber security courses online are driven through mostly self-study using the plethora of resources available to you, and our professors are always available to answer any questions you may have, provide feedback on assignments, and ensure that you are effectively learning and retaining course content.
Is an online cyber security master’s degree respected?
Like many students, you may be wondering whether a master’s in cyber security online offers the same rigor and credibility as a residential degree. As long as you attend an accredited university, you can be confident that your online master’s in cyber security will hold weight as an advanced educational credential.
So, good news! Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). We’ve designed our master’s degree in cyber security to offer you the best in quality, flexibility, and hands-on training.
When you choose to study cyber security at Liberty University, you choose a university that is widely recognized for its commitment to academic excellence. In fact, we were ranked among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America! Partner with us and earn a degree that can serve you well for years to come.
Highlights of Our Cybersecurity Master’s Degree Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online master’s in cybersecurity from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Our online cybersecurity master’s program does not require the GRE or any other standardized tests for admission – so you can start pursuing your goals sooner.
- Complete your cybersecurity master’s degree in as little as 1.5 years with our 100% online, 8-week course format.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). You can be confident that our programs have met rigorous academic standards and accreditation requirements.
Cybersecurity Master’s Degree Online Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Online Cyber Security Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for the Master’s Degree in Cyber Security
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts showing a bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas:
- Computer programming
- Computer science
- Information systems
- Information systems management
- Information technology
- Management information systems
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.