Connect Professional Athletes to Fans with Our Sport Communication and Public Relations Degree
Do you have a love for sports? Do you feel a calling in your life to impact the world, specifically in the sport management industry? Do you want a career in this industry but are not sure how to get there? If you answered yes to any one of these questions, our 100% online Bachelor of Science in Sport Management – Sport Communication and Public Relations is for you.
As a massive, worldwide enterprise, the sport management industry is built on messaging. From press conferences to press releases, social media to sports media outlets, and television to newspapers, sports are a part of nearly everyone’s media experience. Why observe this experience from the sidelines when you could be in the game itself? The sports world needs communication professionals – and with this degree, you can become one.
As a sport communication major, you can learn knowledge and skills needed to be a leader in the sport management industry. Upon completion of our bachelor’s in sport management degree, you can be prepared for a career in public relations, facility and event management, college athletics, or professional sports. This degree can help you become an ideal job candidate who is highly-skilled in a number of high-demand career fields.
As a Christian university, we have a heart for service. Let us serve you by teaching you to lead with integrity, excellence, and grace. Together, we can unlock your full sport management potential.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.S. in Sport Management — Sport Communication and Public Relations Degree?
As a pioneer in online education, Liberty University has a demonstrated history of academic excellence and educational innovation. You can rest assured that we have designed this degree with your success in mind. While our online sports communications degree is designed to be completed in 3.5 years, you are able to complete your degree at your own pace.
You can choose to complete your degree in as few as 2.5 or longer than the traditional 4 years. Whatever your schedule may be, our courses can match it. Our courses are taught by dedicated professors who have professional experience in sports administration and sport communication. Our professors want you to succeed because your success is our success.
Our sport management bachelor’s degree in sports public relations and communication can help you hone your communication skills while allowing you to combine your love of marketing communications and sport. Past graduates have interned with organizations like Adidas (Headquarters in Germany), the Washington Commanders, DC United, and Push the Rock.
What Can You Learn in Our B.S. in Sport Management — Sport Communication and Public Relations?
Throughout your online bachelor’s degree in sport communication and public relations, you can learn sports marketing and media strategies – including how to best utilize social media platforms. You can also study the latest sports media trends and be prepared to connect with the public through a number of developing platforms.
At Liberty University, we aren’t just here to teach you sports management. We’re here to expose you to sports management through hands-on experience. Your 400-hour internship and 70-hour practicum can give you the opportunity to gain practical public relations experience in the sports world. Your internship and practicum are required to equip you with the tools needed to make an impact in sports journalism, sport management, and sports P.R.
You will also have the opportunity to apply your learning to real-world situations in a fully online setting. You can complete a number of assignments that emulate real-world sports communication jobs, such as creating a promotional schedule for a minor league baseball team, developing a mock College GameDay segment, and applying theory to the most recent trends in the sports industry.
- SMGT 310 — Communication in Sport
- SMGT 410 — Sport Marketing
- SMGT 430 — Sport Media Strategies
- STCO 348 — Strategic Social Media
Our Online B.S. in Sports Management Communication and Public Relations Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online sports communication and public relations degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You have the opportunity to intern at well-known sports organizations and sport-related businesses.
Online Bachelor’s in Sports Management Degree Information
- The sports communication and public relations program falls under the School of Business.
- Review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Bachelor’s in Sports Management Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Admission Requirements for the Bachelor’s in Sports Management Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Fields with a Sport Communication and Public Relations Degree
- Sports advertising
- Sports communication and public relations