Mentor Students with a PhD in Counseling – Counselor Education and Supervision
Do you want to use your counseling experience to aid the next generation of counselors in helping more people heal and grow? With a Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision (PhD), you can learn how to help students blend theory and praxis so they can help clients who are in need. Whether your goal is to become an educator or to further develop your clinical skills with new tools, our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision is the perfect fit to help you meet your goals.
What is Counselor Education and Supervision?
Counselor education and supervision is the discipline of creating excellent programs to teach students to be effective counselors. This practice requires advanced expertise in the practice of counseling — through applying a comprehensive mastery of psychology and holistic mental health treatment. A PhD in Counseling focuses on counselor education and supervision. This can help prepare you for academic roles with counseling programs that teach and nurture new counseling students.
The mission of Liberty University’s Department of Counselor Education and Family Studies is to develop ethically and spiritually aware mental health counselors and counselor educators. Liberty seeks to foster experts in the field who demonstrate the values, knowledge, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of their clients. Through Liberty’s PhD in Counselor Education online program, you can impart what you have learned to others and turn knowledge into wisdom.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Doctorate in Counseling?
After gaining experience in the field of counseling, you can be more equipped to apply theory to real-world situations with clients who need your help. As students enter the field of counseling for the first time, your experience could be a valuable tool to help them meet challenges with grace and competence. With Liberty’s PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision, you can help students prepare for the field of counseling and help others.
Our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program is CACREP accredited and provides you with advanced training in:
- Counseling techniques.
- Counselor education and supervision.
- Leadership and advocacy.
- Research and scholarship.
This program is designed for those who want to expand their career options and receive mentoring from experts in the field of counseling and counselor education.
Our faculty possess a passion for training you in advanced clinical mental health techniques so you can make a positive difference in schools and with families. As you graduate from our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program you can leave more prepared to emerge as a counseling leader in college and university counselor education departments. Whether you desire to work in public, private, or government settings, a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision can help you achieve your goals.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
Our PhD in counseling online degree is taught by professionals with real-world experience in clinical and leadership settings. The PhD in Counseling program curriculum builds on your knowledge and expertise to grow critical thinking, leadership, and clinical skills. Whether you are seeking to expand in your current role or explore other areas within the counseling field, our PhD in Counseling online program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and training you need.
When researching online counseling PhD programs, we understand that you will have questions. Below are some common questions you may have about Liberty’s counselor education PhD.
Is a doctorate worth it?
Earning a PhD in Counseling online is an important and substantial decision — but there are many benefits to earning a PhD if you are in the counseling field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that as of 2021, professionals with doctorate degrees make an average of $17,680 more than professionals with master’s degrees.*
Apart from higher average wages, having a PhD can assist you with more earning potential outside of private practice or clinical settings than a master’s degree in counseling alone. Working with a university counseling program, you can teach at the college level and gain the benefit of additional income.
What is a PhD in Counselor Education?
A PhD in Counselor Education can help equip you to use your counseling skills and knowledge of psychology to prepare students to enter the counseling field. The purpose of this program is to bridge the gap from your hands-on experience as a counselor to teach leading approaches and methods to the next generation of counselors.
Liberty University’s counselor education and supervision PhD is designed to give you this training and expertise. Our program can help equip you to prepare students entering the counseling profession with the tools they need to help people heal and grow. You can make a positive impact in the lives of many people by helping these students develop effective counseling practices.
Why should I get a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision?
While researching online doctoral programs, you may question why a counselor education and supervision degree would be a good fit for your career. Aside from the potential for higher income, earning a doctorate in counselor education can broaden your professional experience by letting you invest in future counselors. A PhD can allow you to enter into a new phase of your career where you can learn critical skills and pass them on to your students while helping people in new ways.
With new expertise and skills, you can also be equipped to help your patients in innovative and effective ways. Teaching and mentoring professionals in your field can be an extremely rewarding experience — and one that earning a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision online with Liberty University can help you accomplish.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2020 (viewed online June 15, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in the Ph.D. in Counseling Online Degree?
Liberty’s Counselor Education and Supervision PhD is designed to prepare you to be a mentor in a professional counseling preparation program. Our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision courses can help equip you with knowledge and skills in important areas such as:
- Advanced counseling
- Counselor education
- Leadership and advocacy
- Research and scholarship
Our courses integrate a biblical worldview while preparing you to effectively and ethically serve diverse cultures. To ensure that you have extensive training and preparation, our program includes advanced field experiences and internships. These hands-on opportunities can help you connect with professionals in the field and gain the experience employers seek. At Liberty, you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education that can help sharpen and equip you as you pursue positions of added responsibility.
Through this program, demonstrate your expertise and practice as a leader in the field of counseling. You can be well-equipped to develop programs to train up new counselors that will show ethics and biblical values.
Ph.D. in Counseling Featured Courses
- COUC 715 – Advanced Theory Application and Orientation
- COUC 810 – Dissemination of Research and Scholarship
- COUC 970 – Teaching Internship*
- COUC 980 – Supervision Internship*
- COUC 999 – Counseling, Research, and Leadership Internship*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Liberty University’s Online PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program is CACREP accredited. Most counselor education departments at colleges and universities require counselor educators to graduate from a CACREP accredited PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Liberty’s PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision ranks on BestCounselingDegrees.net’s list of Top CACREP-Accredited Online Doctoral Degrees in Counseling!
- You can complete this degree in about 4 years!
Potential Career Opportunities with a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Administrator in community and public roles
- Advanced professional counselor
- Advanced researcher or scholar
- College or university administrator
- College or university professor
- Executive administration for private and government departments
The PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision program is designed for students who wish to become counseling experts, clinical supervisors, leaders, advocates, and scholars in the field of counseling.
PhD in Counseling Degree Information
The primary aim of our Ph.D. in counseling program is to mentor a diverse body of doctoral students who sense a calling to extend their foundational knowledge on ethical and effective counseling, counselor education, and supervision through the dissemination of research and scholarship. Graduates can be prepared to influence the counseling field in leadership positions within clinical settings, higher education, and counseling associations.
- This program is intensives-based with a 3-credit hour practicum, 9-credit hour internship, and 9-credit hour dissertation.
- Core courses and electives (36 credits) have a 1-week intensive portion to ensure that students develop mentoring relationships with faculty and meaningful relationships with peers in the program. These rich and meaningful relationships enable students to grow and flourish as future leaders in the field.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Admission Requirements for Our PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s in counseling or related degree* with a 3.25 or above GPA in all previous conferred graduate coursework is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
*This program is a post-licensure track. Students will need to have LPC licensure or be on track to receive LPC licensure in order to graduate from the Ph.D. in Counseling Education and Supervision.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts for all conferred bachelor’s and master’s coursework showing a master’s in counseling or related degree*
- Recommender contact information for 2 recommenders (academic or professional contacts familiar with the student’s training and practice)
- Letter of intent
- Professional vita showing professional counseling licensure or 1 year of clinical counseling practice
- Ph.D. graduate status record
- Vignette response
- Proof of English proficiency
*Students with master’s degrees in areas other than counseling will require additional graduate-level prerequisites
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required