Teach Around the World with an Online Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
Do you want to engage with foreign cultures or equip non-English speakers here in America with life-changing skills for the future? Liberty’s 100% online Master of Arts (M.A.) in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) can empower you to work with students at home or abroad who need English communication skills to succeed. As an English as a second language teacher, you can teach in the United States or travel abroad to teach in Asia, the Middle East, or any other region of the world where English language teachers are in demand. With Liberty’s M.A. in TESL, you can embed yourself in a foreign culture and share the gift of language while gaining a rich, immersive experience that goes far beyond tourism!
Liberty’s online M.A. in TESL will help you face the challenges of cross-cultural and cross-linguistic teaching with a graduate degree designed to make you competitive in the international market. Taught from a Christian worldview, Liberty’s online M.A. in TESL will give you biblically-based training in teaching the English language while you make an impact for Christ across the globe. If you are looking for a practical, market-driven approach to teaching that will give you opportunities to touch the lives of people from different cultures — locally, nationally, and abroad — Liberty’s online M.A. in TESL will give you the training you need!
Our PhD in counseling online degree is taught by professionals with real-world experience in clinical and leadership settings. The PhD in Counseling program curriculum builds on your knowledge and expertise to grow critical thinking, leadership, and clinical skills. Whether you are seeking to expand in your current role or explore other areas within the counseling field, our PhD in Counseling online program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and training you need.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language?
Liberty’s master’s degree in teaching English as a second language is 100% online so that you can learn in the comfort of your own home or office. Whether you are living in the United States or are currently overseas, you can still earn your degree in as little as 2 years — and put your skills to use right away!
What Will You Learn in our M.A. in TESL?
Gain the broad skill set and practical training you need to succeed as a TESL instructor! In this degree, you will gain comprehensive knowledge of applied grammar, linguistics, and second language acquisition. You will not only learn about the practical use of the English language, but you will also study the syntax and phonology of the major languages of the world so you can better understand how to approach students from a variety of language backgrounds. With Liberty’s M.A. in TESL, you can create a fun and effective learning environment to help English language learners thrive!
M.A. in TESL Featured Courses
Highlights of Our M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
You can complete our online M.A. in TESL in as little as 2 years!
Potential Career Opportunities with an M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language
- English instructor for domestic and international language learners
- Second language curriculum developer
- Second language linguistics research
M.A. in TESL Degree – Online Program Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires at least 6 credit hours of undergraduate or graduate language studies courses in order to graduate. These courses must be completed outside of the degree before graduation with the M.A. in TESL.
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times