Gain Practical Writing Skills with a Master’s in Professional Writing
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Professional Writing is a customizable degree that gives professionals a 100% online path to learn the critical writing skills needed in any industry. In 3 courses within this degree program, you will receive practical, real-world instruction from New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury in the creative writing research and publishing process.
You will focus on specialized techniques for education, grant writing, and many essential roles in business, government, and nonprofit markets. Liberty’s online master’s degree in professional writing will equip you to design effective communication through digital media, traditional publishing, and the latest cutting-edge information technology, all while receiving the flexibility of our state-of-the-art online learning environment.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
Whether you plan to engage the culture with creative writing or use your professional writing to solve strategic communication problems in your industry, our online master’s degree in professional writing provides a 100% online, customizable, and practical approach to the specialized skills you need to succeed. Throughout our professional writing degree, you will gain foundational knowledge in practical skill sets, such as editing, layout for publishing, and composition, while choosing industry-specific electives such as Communication for Christian Ministry, Communication for Teachers, Speech Writing for Candidates and Officeholders, and Strategic Communication Campaigns for the Digital Age.
What Are the Benefits of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
- Improve your employment opportunities by demonstrating industry-specific strategic communication skills.
- Increase your pay by being able to adapt to many communication fields, including digital media and instructional technology.
- Develop portfolio items during your coursework that will demonstrate practical skills and marketable experience that will improve your career options.
- Complete 18 credit hours of English courses needed for college-level instruction for potential supplemental income or to become a full-time educator.
- Learn how to navigate the publishing process for your own creative writing from industry professionals like Karen Kingsbury.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
Professional writers or students interested in becoming writers will benefit from the foundational skills and knowledge provided by the Master of Arts in Professional Writing. This program can help you launch a career in a new industry or improve your effectiveness in your current career. Creative writing enthusiasts interested in seeking publication will find all of the necessary skills to navigate the process in this online professional writing program, and all students will gain a vital understanding of the publication process through 3 courses created in collaboration with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury.
- ENGL 600 – Editing, Layout, and Publishing
- ENGL 601 – Theory and Practice of Writing as Cultural Engagement
- ENGL 602 – Methods and Materials of Research
Highlights of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Learn from New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury whose professional experience in creative writing offers practical, real-world insights into research, publishing, and cultural engagement.
- Customize your degree plan with industry-specific electives while receiving essential core content that provides practical, effective training for your current career.
- Choose to demonstrate your knowledge through a rewarding final research thesis project, or broaden your experience with 2 additional electives in your field of choice.
- You can complete the online master’s degree in professional writing in less than 2 years.
- You will benefit from networking opportunities with other students in the program from around the country.
Master’s in Professional Writing Program Information
- Choose to complete a final thesis project or choose two additional electives.
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for the official list of course requirements and a suggested course sequence.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Professional Writing
The Master of Arts in Professional Writing will help you learn a practical application of writing skills for all industries. Mastering your professional writing skills may lead to career opportunities in education, publishing, or speech writing. The master’s in professional writing prepares writers to adapt to communication needs in private, public, and nonprofit markets, making you a valuable communications expert.
Some of the other positions you may qualify for as a professional writing graduate include:
- College professor
- Grant writer
- Secondary education teacher
- Speech writer
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Professional Writing
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.