Gain Practical Writing Skills with a Master’s in Professional Writing
Liberty University’s online Master’s degree in Professional Writing is a customizable degree that gives professionals a 100% online path to learn the critical writing skills needed in any industry. In three courses within this degree program, you will receive practical, real-world instruction from #1 New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury in the creative writing research and publishing process.
You will focus on specialized techniques for education, grant writing, and many essential roles in business, government, and nonprofit markets. Liberty’s online Master’s degree in Professional Writing will equip you to design effective communication through digital media, traditional publishing, and the latest cutting-edge information technology, all while offering the flexibility of our state-of-the-art online learning environment.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
Whether you plan to engage the culture with creative writing or to use your professional writing to solve strategic communication problems in your industry, online Master’s degree in Professional Writing will provide a 100% online, customizable, and practical approach to the specialized skills you need to succeed. Throughout our professional writing degree, you will gain foundational knowledge in practical skillsets such as editing, layout for publishing, and composition, while choosing industry-specific electives such as Communication for Christian Ministry, Communication for Teachers, Speech Writing for Candidates & Officeholders, and Strategic Communication Campaigns for the Digital Age.
What are the Benefits of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
- Improve your employment opportunities by demonstrating industry-specific strategic communication skills.
- Increase your pay by being able to adapt to many communication roles, including digital media and instructional technology.
- Develop portfolio items during your coursework that will demonstrate practical skills and marketable experience that will improve your career options.
- Complete 18 credit hours of English courses needed for college-level instruction for potential supplemental income or to become a full-time educator.
- Learn how to navigate the publishing process for your own creative writing from industry professionals like Karen Kingsbury.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master’s degree in Professional Writing?
Professional writers or students interested in becoming writers will benefit from the foundational skills and knowledge provided by the Master’s in Professional Writing and will be able to launch a career in a new industry or improve their effectiveness in their own career. Creative writing enthusiasts interested in seeking publication will find all of the necessary skills to navigate the process in Liberty’s online professional writing program, but any writer will gain a vital understanding of the publication process through three courses created in collaboration with #1 New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury:
- ENGL 600 – Editing, Layout, and Publishing
- ENGL 601 – Theory and Practice of Writing as Cultural Engagement
- ENGL 602 – Methods and Materials of Research
Highlights of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing
- By earning your Master’s degree in Professional Writing from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in the field.
- Learn from #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury whose professional experience in creative writing offers practical, real-world insights into research, publishing, and cultural engagement.
- Customize your degree plan with industry-specific electives while receiving essential core content that provides practical, effective training for your current career.
- Choose to demonstrate your knowledge through a rewarding final research thesis project, or broaden your experience with two additional electives in your field of choice.
- You can complete the online Master’s degree in Professional Writing in less than two years.
- You will benefit from networking opportunities with other students in the program from around the country.
- You may also be interested in exploring our master degree in Education: English, Communication, or Strategic Communication. Find out more information about Karen Kingsbury and her partnership with Liberty University.
Master’s in Professional Writing Program Information and Requirements
- Final thesis project or choose two additional electives
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for the official list of course requirements and a suggested course sequence.
- View the Graduate Course Guides (login required)
Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for undergraduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Professional Writing
The Masters in Professional Writing will help you learn the practical application of writing skills to many industries. Mastering your professional writing skills may lead to career opportunities in education, publishing, or speech writing. The Masters in Professional Writing prepares writers to adapt to communication needs in private, public, and nonprofit markets, making you a valuable communications expert.
- Grant Writer
- College Professor
- Secondary Education Teacher
- Speech Writer
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Professional Writing
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.