Gain Practical Writing Skills with a Master’s in Professional Writing
As a writer, you have a lot of flexibility in your career direction. You can write to sell products or move hearts. You can even be your own boss by working as a freelancer. If you are interested in a degree that can be used in many different career fields, then perhaps Liberty’s Master of Arts in Professional Writing is for you.
Learn from experienced industry professionals. You will receive practical, real-world instruction from New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury in the creative writing research and publishing process in 3 of the core degree courses.
You will focus on specialized techniques for education, grant writing, and many essential roles in business, government, and nonprofit markets. Liberty’s master’s in writing online degree will equip you to design effective communication through digital media, traditional publishing, and the latest cutting-edge information technology, all while receiving the flexibility of our state-of-the-art online learning environment.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
Whether you plan to engage the culture with creative writing or use your skills to solve strategic communication problems in your industry, our online master’s degree in professional writing provides a 100% online, customizable, and practical approach to the specialized skills you need to succeed.
Throughout our professional writing degree, you will gain foundational knowledge in practical skill sets, such as editing, layout for publishing, and composition. Our highly customizable degree also allows you to pick the areas of writing that interest you. Whether you are planning to write your own novels or work in marketing, you can find a topic to suit your personal and professional goals.
What Are the Benefits of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
- Improve your employment opportunities by demonstrating industry-specific strategic communication skills.
- Develop in-demand skills such as technical writing which has an 8% job growth over the next 10 years and an average 2019 median pay of $72,850 per year.*
- Increase your pay by being able to adapt to many communication fields, including digital media and instructional technology.
- Develop portfolio items during your coursework that will demonstrate practical skills and marketable experience that will improve your career options.
- Complete 18 credit hours of English courses needed for college-level instruction for potential supplemental income or to become a full-time educator.
- Learn how to navigate the publishing process for your own creative writing from industry professionals like Karen Kingsbury.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Technical Writers, (visited July 12, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing?
Professional writers or students interested in becoming writers will benefit from the foundational skills and knowledge provided by the Master of Arts in Professional Writing. This program can help you launch a career in a new industry or improve your effectiveness in your current career.
Your core courses will cover the skills every writer needs such as editing, layout, and publishing through course material created in collaboration with Karen Kingsbury. You will also learn how to use your writing skills to engage diverse audiences through various mediums such as blogs, op-eds, popular journals, and more.
Choose Your Focus:
Ministry and Business
Our professional writing major will cover a variety of tasks such as business research methods and writing grants. You may also choose to learn the unique communication skills needed for Christian ministry and upper levels of leadership in professional and personal settings. Let your passion guide you to create material meaningful to you.
This is more than just an online master’s degree in writing and editing, though. You may use your writing skills to actually make a difference and sway public opinion by studying speech writing for candidates and policymakers. Some of the greatest speeches and moments in history were scripted by professional writers.
We want to make sure that our master’s in professional writing online prepares you for the digital age as well. You may study how to create campaigns for the movement of products or organizations towards growth. This will involve learning how to write for advertising and public relations campaigns for business, government, non-profit, and community organizations.
- ENGL 600 – Editing, Layout, and Publishing
- ENGL 601 – Theory and Practice of Writing as Cultural Engagement
- PPOG 635 – Speech Writing for Candidates and Office Holders
- STCO 658 – Strategic Communication Campaigns for the Digital Age
Highlights of Our Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Learn from New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury whose professional experience in creative writing offers practical, real-world insights into research, publishing, and cultural engagement.
- Customize your degree plan with industry-specific electives while receiving essential core content that provides practical, effective training for your current career.
- Choose to demonstrate your knowledge through a rewarding final research thesis project, or broaden your experience with 2 additional electives in your field of choice.
- You can complete the online master’s degree in professional writing in less than 2 years.
- You will benefit from networking opportunities with other students in the program from around the country.
Master’s in Professional Writing Program Information
- Choose to complete a final thesis project or choose two additional electives.
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for the official list of course requirements and a suggested course sequence.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Online Master’s Degree in Professional Writing Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Professional Writing
The Master of Arts in Professional Writing will help you learn a practical application of communication skills for all industries. This may lead to career opportunities in education, publishing, or speech writing. The online master’s in writing prepares writers to adapt to needs in private, public, and nonprofit markets, making you a valuable communications expert.
Some of the other positions you may qualify for as a professional writing graduate include:
- Content writer
- College professor
- Grant writer
- Secondary education teacher
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Professional Writing
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.