Prepare for a Career in Military Service or Become a Military Historian with Our MA in Military Operations – Military History Degree
Are you an active-duty member or veteran of the armed forces? Perhaps you’re looking to pursue different careers in the defense sector, or maybe you’d like to re-enter the defense sector in some capacity. You may also be an aspiring military historian in search of a degree that combines training in military operations with a historical study of the American military. If this sounds like you, Liberty’s 100% online Master of Arts in Military Operations – Military History degree may be a great fit for you.
Our online master’s degree program in military history and operations seeks to produce graduates who are capable of achieving academic and professional success. Few degree programs in America intentionally train military personnel and contractors to handle large-scale strategic and professional operations. Even fewer combine such study with an advanced study of military history.
At Liberty, we believe that studying history is essential to understanding the full scope of a situation or topic. Knowledge of American military history can help you analyze and critique contemporary military policies and procedures. If you’re looking for a degree program that can equip you with an in-depth understanding of military history and contemporary military operations, our master’s degree in military history and operations online is an excellent choice.
Why Choose Liberty’s MA in Military Operations – Military History Degree?
At Liberty, we are dedicated to your academic, career, personal, and spiritual growth. Our history professors have considerable research experience and remarkable expertise in military history, intelligence, and military operations. Our master’s in military history and operations offers you direct access to a distinguished group of military historians — one of the most impressive groups in American higher education.
Liberty is also very military-friendly. We provide generous tuition discounts to military servicemen and servicewomen and have a dedicated team of military affairs experts who can help guide you through the process of military tuition reimbursement. We also offer our courses in 8-week sections with no set login times and no residential intensives, so you can complete your degree from anywhere in the world at a pace that is comfortable for you.
Additionally, Liberty is a highly respected university that will challenge you to strive for academic, personal, and professional excellence. We don’t just see you as a student — we see you as a valuable part of our nation’s future who is capable of tremendous things. Just as you invest in a degree at Liberty, we invest in you by providing the most esteemed professors, an impressive online library that can be used for scholarly research, an online writing center that can help you master academic writing, and more. We are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can rest assured that your degree has met rigorous accreditation standards.
What Will You Learn in Our MA in Military Operations – Military History Degree?
Our MA in Military Operations – Military History is divided into 2 sections: military doctrine and military history. As part of our dedication to producing well-rounded graduates, these sections each offer respective emphases.
In the military doctrine courses, you will study just war theory and military geography. You will also study asymmetrical and irregular warfare, military intelligence, and military operations. Additionally, the doctrine section of our military operations and history degree covers military logistics and planning as well as research, doctrine, and leadership in a military context.
The military history section of this degree program begins with a study of historical methodology. You will learn how to conduct an oral history review, how to properly apply methodology in studying history, and how cultural assumptions influence various accounts of history. You will also take a course that covers the causes, conflicts, and resolution of World War II in addition to a course that discusses modern naval warfare. The military history specialization also requires you to select a free elective. You could use this free elective to study European, American, or world history.
- HIST 501 – Historical Methods
- HIWD 555 – World War II
- HIWD 650 – Modern Naval Warfare
- HIWD 660 – Asymmetrical and Irregular Warfare
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our MA in Military Operations – Military History Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online military operations master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can rest assured that your degree program has satisfied rigorous accreditation standards.
MA in Military Operations – Military History Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for MA in Military Operations – Military History Graduates
- Military historian
- Military history and ethics instructor*
- Military operations analyst
- Museum archivist or director
*If you hope to teach at a college or university, a PhD may be required.
Admission Requirements for the MA in Military Operations Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.