Prepare to Solve Real-World Language Problems with Liberty’s Master’s in Applied Linguistics Degree
Are you seeking a master’s degree that explores the underlying structures of human language? Do you want to develop a theoretical understanding of language and use that knowledge to address real-world challenges? If so, Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Linguistics – Applied Linguistics degree is a great option! Throughout this program, you’ll analyze the building blocks of language and learn how linguistics can be used to understand practical problems.
Linguistics is primarily a theoretical field, but its applications are far-reaching. Applied linguistics in particular offers a more practical approach to language, and the skills you gain in this graduate program may prove useful as you pursue work in artificial intelligence, business, translation, military intelligence, or speech pathology. By studying under our experienced faculty, you can become equipped to solve real-life problems in the fields of education, psychology, sociology, and more.
Why Choose Liberty’s Applied Linguistics Degree Online?
Balancing school with your other priorities may seem challenging, but it doesn’t have to be. Liberty’s applied linguistics degree is offered 100% online with no set login times and no required intensives. You’ll have the freedom to complete your courses from the comfort of home without the worry of having to attend classes on campus. You can also stay invested in the things that matter — like your family, job, and community — while taking the next step in your academic journey.
At Liberty, we seek to equip qualified professionals with the tools needed to make a difference. Maybe you already work in linguistics and are seeking new job opportunities, or perhaps you’re looking to enter this exciting field for the first time. Either way, our online applied linguistics degree can equip you with a solid understanding of human language and help you pursue a wide variety of careers.
Throughout this program, you’ll study under faculty who have years of experience working in academia and the field of linguistics. With their guidance, you can develop marketable skills that are applicable in a variety of fields — from business and speech pathology to military intelligence and machine learning. At Liberty, we want to help you become an ethical, principled professional who can impact the world and spark a love of linguistics in the next generation.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Applied Linguistics Degree?
Liberty’s applied linguistics online degree is broken down into 3 main parts: core linguistics courses, language studies electives, and the applied linguistics specialization. Within the core content of this program, you’ll study advanced topics in semantics, pragmatics, phonetics, phonology, morphology, and syntax. You’ll also dive into the history of language and explore important aspects of linguistic field studies. Our second language acquisition course provides an overview of language program models, learning theory, and relevant language policies.
Within the applied linguistics specialization, you’ll explore the practical application of linguistics. For instance, you’ll learn how to teach grammar, lexicon, and pronunciation to English as a Second Language (ESL) and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) learners. You can also gain a deeper understanding of how linguistics affects research and teaching, among other areas. Additionally, you’ll be able to further personalize your degree by completing 2 language studies courses of your choosing. You can then take what you learn in this program and use it to solve real-world language problems.
Throughout this program, you’ll approach the study of linguistics from a biblical perspective. You’ll be encouraged to blend industry knowledge with ethical principles as you launch or further your career, and our distinguished faculty will seek to help you develop marketable skills that could set you apart from the competition. Partner with us and pursue a rewarding career in the field of linguistics!
- LING 630 – Applied Linguistics I*
- LING 633 – Applied Linguistics II*
- LING 650 – Linguistic Field Studies*
- TESL 603 – Teaching Grammar, Lexicon, and Pronunciation
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Master’s Degree in Applied Linguistics
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree in linguistics from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- You can complete this master’s in applied linguistics in just 1.5 years!
- Our applied linguistics program is offered 100% online, giving you the freedom to complete your degree on your schedule.
- You’ll have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in linguistics from across the country.
Master’s in Applied Linguistics Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Applied Linguistics Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Can You Do with an Applied Linguistics Degree?
By earning your MA in Linguistics – Applied Linguistics, you can become equipped for a variety of career paths. Some of the roles you could pursue include:
- Forensic linguist
- Language data analyst
- Military intelligence linguist
- Professional linguist
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Graduate Applied Linguistics Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.