Teach the English Language with Liberty’s Online TESL Minor
Do you have a passion for language and teaching others? You can add the online minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) to your bachelor’s degree! English is a valuable tool in many industries as the world’s dominant language in business, education, and society. Adding English language teaching to your skillset can help you teach here in the states or abroad in places like Asia, the Middle East, or various other regions of the world.
Liberty’s online TESL minor can fit into any bachelor’s degree that has at least 18 credit hours of electives, allowing it to fit into many career paths. With convenient, 100% online courses paired with a hands-on internship in your community, you will have practical skills you can use right away for your career.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online TESL Minor?
No matter which major you’ve chosen, having the skills to teach English as a second language can open doors to many international opportunities, such as:
- Business – If you want to work abroad, teaching English as a second language can be an additional income source and provide an inroad to learning more about the country you want to work in. The language skills you learn can also be very marketable to multinational companies who need English-speaking representatives.
- Ministry – Teaching English can be a ministry all by itself, but it can also open the door to engaging with locals. If you want to put down roots in a new country and make connections with people, then a minor in TESL can help you provide a valuable service to the community.
- English – If you are studying English and writing, then the TESL minor’s language course can give you deep insights into the structure and use of English. Whether or not you plan to be a teacher for your career, TESL courses can enrich your understanding.
Through Liberty’s online TESL minor, you will learn from English language experts with years of experience who are excited to watch you succeed. Each online TESL course is integrated with biblical principles and real-world applications to prepare you for a rewarding career that will enrich your spiritual life. If you are interested in a more in-depth study of English language learning, our B.S. in Teaching English as a Second Language degree can take you further with a TESL career focus.
What Will You Learn in Our Online TESL Courses?
In the online TESL minor, you will gain comprehensive knowledge in applied grammar, linguistics, and second language learning. You will study the structure of English and the syntax and phonology of the world’s major languages. This training will enable you to prepare a curriculum with your students’ language in mind. You will also learn how to plan activities and class exercises to help you become a better instructor and enable you to make your teaching fun for students from any culture.
After a focused study in English language learning, you will complete the minor with an internship. This internship will be in your community and overseen by online faculty to mentor you through applying what you’ve learned to a real classroom.
Online TESL Course Requirements (18 hours)
- LING 301 – Introduction to Linguistics
- TESL 333 – Modern Grammar
- TESL 373 – Applied Grammar
- TESL 403 – Second Language Acquisition
- TESL 405 – Issues and Practices in TES/FL
- TESL 499 – TES/FL Internship