Minister Cross-Culturally with Liberty’s Online Music in World Cultures Graduate Certificate
Liberty University’s 100% online ethnomusicology graduate certificate is a short, focused online music certificate that digs deep into the cultural inspiration and impact of the artistic expression of music in cultures across the globe. This 12-credit hour certificate in music will teach you general principles of ethnomusicology, the role of ethnomusicologists, and the development of intercultural music ministry. If you are interested in studying world music cultures and learning how the field of ethnomusicology can be used to reach the world with the Gospel, then our online Graduate Certificate in Music in World Cultures is an excellent choice for you.
What is Ethnomusicology?
Ethnomusicology is the study of the impact of culture on the artistic expression of music, usually focused on an individual geographical region, ethnic group, or religious culture. The study of ethnomusicology is a valuable tool for ministry, enhancing your music teaching in other countries, and for enriching your musical career with the influence of another culture’s musical traditions.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Music in World Cultures Certificate?
Our online music certificate is designed to help you gain a deeper knowledge of music within other cultures and how to minister to their needs. With coursework taught by experienced professors in our School of Music, you will be equipped with practical knowledge that will be relevant and useful for academic study and hands-on fieldwork. Credits you earn in our online certificate in Music in World Cultures can be applied to our Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology, should you decide to further your education.
As multi-cultural issues continue to emerge worldwide, ethnomusicology has become an essential field of study in music education, music performance, and cross-cultural service. Our ethnomusicology program aims to provide strong foundational knowledge in scholarship and research, non-Western music theory, and application of resources to the field. Not only will these courses enhance your own music, but our ethnomusicology certificate will also help you minister more effectively, as a basic understanding of the music of another culture can be vital to gaining access to its people.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Ethnomusicology Graduate Certificate Program?
Our online world music certificate focuses on systems and practices of world cultures as approached through comparative study and analysis of their musical traditions. You can focus your studies on the religious, cultural, and socio-economic factors related to the expression of music from a distinct country such as India, China, Africa, or Indonesia, or a region such as Latin America, the Middle East, or Eastern Europe. Or, you could specialize in organology to study musical instruments from around the world or choose to take additional courses in applied ethnomusicology to learn more practical skills and techniques for studying cultural music in the field.
- ETHM 511 – Introduction to Ethnomusicology
- ETHM 512 – Field of Ethnomusicology
- ETHM 611 – Arts in Global Engagement
- Elective course in an area of interest
Our Online Ethnomusicology Graduate Certificate Information
- This certificate program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for our music in world cultures program.
- View the graduate certificate program course syllabi (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
Program Highlights for the Online Ethnomusicology Graduate Certificate
- By earning your online Graduate Certificate in Music and World Cultures (Ethnomusicology) from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our online undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years – and counting.
- You can complete the online Graduate Certificate in Music in World Cultures in as little as one semester.
- You can transfer earned credit hours from the online Graduate Certificate in Music and World Cultures into our online Masters of Arts in Ethnomusicology degree program.
Admission Requirements for Our Online Ethnomusicology Graduate Certificate Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.25 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Recommender Contact Information
- Statement of Purpose
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.