Minister Across the Globe with a World Music Certificate Program
Do you love learning about other cultures? Do you have a passion for music and a desire to explore what makes different countries and ethnic groups unique? If so, Liberty’s 100% online Graduate Certificate in Music in World Cultures – Ethnomusicology may be right for you! Throughout this program, you can explore how culture and music influence each other in nations around the world.
As multicultural issues continue to emerge worldwide, ethnomusicology has become an essential field of study in music education, music performance, and cross-cultural service. Whether you are a musician, missionary, or ministry professional, our certificate program can help you prepare to better connect with people across cultural and geographical borders. Liberty’s online music certificate courses seek to provide strong foundational knowledge in non-Western music theory, scholarship and research, and applications of resources to the field.
Maybe you want to enhance your own music, bolster your ministry effectiveness, or pursue new job opportunities. No matter what your goals are, we’re committed to helping you lead with skill and integrity in your field — wherever God is calling you.
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in Music in World Cultures
Our ethnomusicology certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Intercultural music outreach worker
- Music anthropology researcher
The research, music theory, and global engagement skills that you gain from our certificate in music in world cultures can be an asset in many other aspects of the music and global service world as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the master’s in interdisciplinary studies. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with an ethnomusicology certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
What is ethnomusicology?
Ethnomusicology is the study of how culture impacts the artistic expression of music, typically with regards to an individual geographical region, ethnic group, or religious culture. Understanding ethnomusicology may help you conduct effective ministry efforts, teach music in other countries, or enrich your own music career as you draw on aspects of another culture’s musical traditions.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Graduate Certificate in Music Studies in World Cultures?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance education since 1985. We’re committed to offering online programs that meet your needs as a student and as a professional. Our music certificate courses are available 100% online, so you’ll have the freedom to complete your classes from the comfort of your home. You can also stay invested in the things that matter most — like your family, job, and community — while pursuing your academic goals.
A certificate is an excellent alternative to a full-length degree program because it allows you to develop new skills while saving time and money. At only 12 credit hours, our certificate in music can be completed in just 1 semester! And, if you later want to further your education, you can transfer earned credits from this certificate into our online Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies.
At Liberty, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. We seek to equip qualified professionals with the knowledge, values, and skills essential for impacting the world. Our faculty are experts in their field and firmly rooted in a Christian worldview. They can help you learn how to approach concepts in ethnomusicology from a biblical perspective. That way, you can use your passion and abilities to help further the Gospel and spread God’s love, no matter where your career takes you.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Ethnomusicology Online Courses?
Our online world music certificate program focuses on comparative study of musical traditions in various world cultures. With this knowledge, you can prepare to engage with music in global contexts and work in cross-cultural environments.
You can also focus your studies by analyzing ethnic music from a particular region, such as India, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, or Eastern Europe. Alternatively, you could take a course on organology and study musical instruments from around the world, or you could dive into applied ethnomusicology and explore practical techniques for strengthening your ministry or music career.
Our world is becoming increasingly globalized, so it’s vital that you understand how to connect with people from different backgrounds. Engaging with people across cultural and ethnic boundaries is also a vital part of carrying out the Great Commission. By studying ethnomusicology, you can learn more about the world around you and prepare to address practical challenges that arise in your career.
- ETHM 511 – Introduction to Ethnomusicology
- ETHM 512 – Field of Ethnomusicology
- ETHM 611 – Arts in Global Engagement
- ETHM elective (to be chosen from a variety of pre-selected options)
Certificate in Ethnomusicology Graduate Program Information
- This certificate program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for our world music certificate program online.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Graduate Certificate in Music in World Cultures
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Highlights of Liberty’s World Music Certificate Program Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our online undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- You can complete your online music certificate in as little as 1 semester!
- You can transfer earned credit hours from this certificate into our online Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies.
- If you’re a full-time parent or working professional, we offer the flexibility you need to further your education without putting your life on hold.
- Our faculty are knowledgeable in their field and committed to teaching from a biblical worldview.
- At only 12 credit hours, our online music certificate can help you gain the skills and credentials needed to potentially advance in your current field, earn a higher salary, or even launch a new career.
Admission Requirements for Our Online Certificate in Ethnomusicology Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.25 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Recommender contact information
- Statement of Purpose
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.