Make an Impact in the Lives of Those with Special Needs with Liberty’s EdS in Special Education Degree
Do you feel called to work with students with special needs? Are you looking to impact their lives in a meaningful way? Liberty University’s 100% online Education Specialist (EdS) in Special Education degree can help you gain the knowledge and skills necessary to make a significant difference in the area of special needs in education. This program is designed to equip you with the ability to communicate via various mediums, critically problem-solve, and increase information literacy through applied research. With our EdS in Special Education, you will experience a comprehensive curriculum that teaches you the tools to effectively support and empower diverse learners.
Through a combination of theory and research, you can develop a deep understanding of the unique challenges faced by individuals with disabilities and explore innovative strategies to promote inclusive and equitable education. Whether you’re a current educator seeking advanced training or a passionate advocate looking to start a career in special education, our program offers valuable professional growth and development opportunities.
Upon completion of your EdS in Special Education program, you can be better prepared for a variety of roles in the field of special education as well as involvement in educational research. Additionally, this degree can serve as a stepping stone toward pursuing a doctoral degree in special education or related fields, should you wish to advance your expertise further.
What is an EdS degree?
An Education Specialist (EdS) degree provides you with training in scholarship and research at the doctoral level. This postgraduate program offers you the benefit of taking doctoral-level courses without the time commitment of a full doctoral degree, such as a PhD or EdD. The EdS degree focuses on building practical skills with advanced expertise in a specialized area of study. Education specialists can focus on a wide range of advanced topics, such as special education, teaching technology, education administration, or higher education.
An EdS degree can help prepare you for future doctoral studies while also building the skills and knowledge you need to be more effective in the field right away. Liberty University’s EdS program is incredibly flexible, allowing graduates to potentially transfer up to 27 credit hours of their EdS studies into a full doctoral degree.
If you are looking for a way to gain advanced education skills in a highly specialized area but are not ready to commit to a full doctorate program, then Liberty’s special education EdS degree might be right for you.
Why Choose Liberty’s EdS in Special Education Degree?
Whether you are a working professional seeking to advance your career or a busy parent juggling multiple responsibilities, our online platform allows you to access course materials, participate in discussions, and submit assignments from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The 100% online program format offers the flexibility and convenience to seamlessly fit your studies into your busy schedule, empowering you to continue your education without disrupting your current commitments.
Partner with us and join a community of future educators and leaders who will have a lasting impact on the broader field of education for Christ. Our EdS in Special Education program reflects this commitment by providing a comprehensive curriculum that blends theoretical knowledge with practical application. You can deepen your understanding of current trends, evidence-based practices, and innovative strategies in special education through engaging coursework and interactive discussions.
By pursuing your EdS in Special Education at Liberty University, you can gain valuable insights from experienced faculty members who are experts in the field. Our dedicated professors have a wealth of real-world experience, ensuring that you receive the most relevant and up-to-date education. They will offer mentorship and support as you navigate through the challenges and opportunities in special education.
By choosing Liberty University’s EdS in Special Education degree, you are joining a community of passionate educators who are dedicated to transforming lives through inclusive education. Our program can help provide you with the tools needed to advocate for exceptional learners, create inclusive classroom environments, and make a lasting impact on your students’ educational journey.
What Will You Learn in Our EdS in Special Education Degree?
Through your EdS in Special Education, you can explore special education and advocacy from a Christian perspective, delve into the historical trends that have shaped the treatment of diverse learners, and gain a deep understanding of the critical issues and current trends in special education and advocacy today.
You will explore special learning techniques across various domains, including learning and cognitive development, social-emotional development, and language acquisition. You will also gain valuable insights into different special education categories, their characteristics, and the associated supports and services provided from early childhood through postsecondary interventions.
By exploring diverse learning theories, you can better understand how individuals with exceptional needs acquire knowledge and develop their abilities. Through engaging coursework, you can learn to tailor instructional strategies and interventions to meet the unique needs of exceptional learners, fostering their academic, social, and emotional growth.
Additionally, this program emphasizes the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You will rigorously analyze current research and literature, enabling you to evaluate best practices and evidence-based interventions in special education. Through this process, you can expand your ability to make informed decisions and advocate for inclusive practices that promote the success and well-being of exceptional students.
- EDSP 722 – History and Future of Special Education
- EDSP 724 – Collaboration and Communication in Special Education
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
- EDUC 750 – Survey of Educational Research
Highlights of Our EdS in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Gain a solid understanding of the research and assessment skills you need to contribute to educational research while you complete your EdS in Special Education degree online.
- After completing your EdS degree at Liberty University, you can potentially transfer in up to 27 credits to a related Doctor of Education (EdD) degree!
EdS in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Postgraduate Advising Guide.
Military Benefits for Our Education Specialist Degree Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdS courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for EdS in Special Education Graduates
- Curriculum specialist
- Education consultant
- K-12 educational technology director
- Special education advocate
- University professor
Admission Requirements for the EdS in Special Education
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.