Pursue a Doctoral-Level Credential While Learning About the Latest Teaching Tools with Liberty’s EdS in Instructional Design and Technology
In this technologically advanced era where every aspect of life is affected by digital media and computers, education is no exception. Be it in online platforms or physical classrooms, students are becoming more dependent on technology – both for gaining knowledge and for completing their assignments.
Liberty University’s 100% online Education Specialist (EdS) in Instructional Design and Technology can help broaden your comprehension, expertise, and proficiency in instructional design. This immersive program invites you to explore high-level course content and engage in groundbreaking research. You can gain insights into cognitive development, methods of evaluation and assessment, and the strategic development and application of distance learning programs and job aids.
What is an EdS degree?
An Education Specialist (EdS) degree is designed to provide students with training in scholarship and research at the doctoral level. The focus of the EdS degree is to build practical skills with advanced expertise in a specialized area of education studies. Education specialists can focus on a large number of advanced topics, such as special education, teaching technology, education administration, and higher education.
An EdS degree can help prepare you for future doctoral studies while also building the skills and knowledge you need to be more effective in the field right away. Liberty University’s EdS program is especially flexible, allowing graduates to transfer in up to 27 credit hours of their EdS studies into a full doctoral degree.
If you are looking for a way to gain advanced education skills in a highly specialized area but are not ready to commit to a full doctorate program, then Liberty’s instructional design and technology specialist degree can help you.
Furthermore, our program can empower you to scrutinize and contribute to the design, creation, and implementation of innovative learning methods and tools, all tailored to maximize student success. As a student in our online degree in instructional technology, you can also enhance your communication skills. You’ll explore how to conceive and implement captivating learning programs for school administrators, educators, and students using diverse communication channels.
Whether your goal is to teach, design curriculum, serve in administration, or lead an organization, this program can help provide you with a well-rounded understanding of learning technology and an opportunity to contribute to the general knowledge in this field.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online EdS Degree in Instructional Design and Technology?
Since 1985, Liberty University has been at the forefront of distance learning, and we understand what it takes to create rigorous online degree programs that accommodate your professional, personal, and community commitments. Our EdS in Instructional Design and Technology is 100% online, providing a format that fits your life. This instructional technology degree is structured in 8-week course modules, eliminating the need for intensives and allowing you to balance your education with your day-to-day responsibilities.
As the tools and technology used for education expand, there is a surging demand for educators who can lead the way in this field. Over the next 10 years, instructional coordinators are maintaining the same rate as typical education-related careers at 2% job growth.* Our degree in educational technology is designed to position you to seize these growth opportunities and learn new ways to deliver engaging content in the classroom and online.
Furthermore, our EdS degree serves as an exceptional pathway to doctoral-level studies, should your ambitions lead you toward pursuing a Doctor of Education (EdD) degree. Liberty offers the advantage of transferring up to 27 credit hours from our EdS program into a compatible EdD program, ensuring a seamless academic journey.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Instructional Coordinators, 2022 (viewed online Nov. 10, 2023). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online EdS Degree in Instructional Technology?
In this educational technology degree, you will study advanced learning theory and research. You’ll also explore the historical and philosophical principles and theories that have shaped education on a global basis.
From there, this online EdS in instructional design technology ventures into a core curriculum focused on the use of current and developing technology to deliver educational content and assessment. You can learn about instructional design theory and how to use it to address specific learning problems. You will also explore human performance technology and identify solutions to address performance gaps within learning environments. This educational technology program also covers how to implement multimedia tools as well as some of the ethical problems encountered in instructional design.
Lastly, you’ll venture into a Survey of Educational Research and study Advanced Research and Writing. This final course will include a capstone project that can be submitted for publication so that you can establish your expertise in this area and contribute to the general knowledge base in instructional design.
- EDUC 731 – Instructional Design Theory
- EDUC 732 – Principles of Human Performance Technology
- EDUC 733 – Instructional Systems Design
- EDUC 734 – Implementation and Assessment of Multimedia Learning Tools
Highlights of Our Instructional Technology Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- The EdS degree allows you to transfer in up to 27 credits to our Doctor of Education (EdD) program to give you a jumpstart on your doctorate!
- While completing the EdS in Instructional Design and Technology degree online, you can achieve mastery of essential research and assessment skills and become equipped to ensure your institution is providing effective educational technology teaching.
EdS in Instructional Design and Technology Degree Information
- This Education Specialist program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this EdS program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Postgraduate Advising Guide.
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our Online Instructional Design Technology Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdS courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for EdS in Instructional Design and Technology Graduates
- Education instructor*
- Educational consultant
- Instructional coordinator
- K-12 administrator*
- K-12 educational technology director
- K-12 instructional design and technology teacher*
- University administrator
- University professor
*May require licensure, which this degree program does not provide
Admission Requirements for Our Online EdS in Instructional Design and Technology Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.