Lead and Inspire with an Online EdS in Educational Leadership
As an educator in the field, you can inspire and mentor others in their educational journeys. But while you may be ready to take your training and credentials to the next level with education leadership skills, earning a full doctorate may not fit your current needs. That’s why Liberty University designed the Education Specialist in Educational Leadership — to help you get the skills and knowledge you need to be a leader in your school district and community.
By earning an Education Specialist degree in educational leadership from Liberty University, you can gain the training you need to create an enhanced learning environment for all students, regardless of their background or education level. Your educational leadership degree doesn’t just have the potential to change your life; it can change the lives of countless others as you train to become a better mentor and leader.
What is an EdS degree?
An Education Specialist (EdS) degree is designed to provide students with training in scholarship and research at a doctoral level. The focus of the EdS degree is to build practical skills with advanced expertise in a specialized area of education studies. Education specialists can focus on a large number of advanced topics, such as special education, teaching technology, education administration, and higher education.
An EdS degree can help prepare you for future doctoral studies while also building the skills and knowledge you need to be more effective in the field right away. Liberty University’s EdS program is especially flexible, allowing graduates to transfer in up to 27 credit hours of their EdS studies into a full doctoral degree.
If you are looking for a way to gain advanced education skills in a highly specialized area but are not ready to commit to a full doctorate program, then Liberty’s educational leadership specialist degree can help you.
At Liberty, we Train Champions for Christ, which means our online EdS program in educational leadership focuses on helping you get the tools you need to lead with distinction and integrity. When you partner with us, your online EdS degree program has a purpose: to help you make a positive impact on the world by investing in your students’ success and wellbeing.
No matter where or in what position you lead, our online EdS degree in educational leadership can give you the foundation you need to make the impact you always knew you could.
Please note: Students enrolling in Educational Leadership programs after April 1, 2020, will not be eligible to receive Georgia Tier I or Tier II Educational Leadership Certification.
Why Choose Liberty’s Education Specialist – Educational Leadership Online Degree Program?
As an educator, you strive for excellence and challenging educational experiences; which may be while you’re considering an Education Specialist degree. At Liberty, we are dedicated to excellence too, and offer rigorous academic programs to help you reach your full potential. With our Educational Specialist degree online programs, you can have access to the same quality education we provide our residential students from the comfort of your own home.
We have been pioneering distance learning since 1985 and have used that experience to develop a flexible and affordable EdS degree program that meets your needs. As a 100% online degree with optional intensives, our Educational Specialist program allows you to further your education without relocating. Because this EdS in instructional leadership degree also has no set login times, you have the ability to maintain your family, career, and community responsibilities while earning your degree.
When you earn your EdS degree online with us, you can trust that you are receiving a quality education. Our online Educational Specialist degree program is accredited under NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) accreditation system.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are researching educational leadership specialist degrees online, you may have questions about how an EdS in Educational Leadership can help you meet your career goals. Below are some common questions about online EdS programs and Liberty University’s education specialist program.
Is an EdS degree considered a doctorate?
While the content of EdS degrees and doctorates are postgraduate level, Education Specialist degrees are not doctorates because they do not meet the full requirements for length, content, and research required for a terminal degree. These requirements are dependent on accreditation requirements and industry standards.
However, EdS degrees fill an important need for education professionals who need advanced skills and research in a concise, focused program. Because the courses you take in an EdS degree are postgraduate level, you can also move on from this program to one of Liberty University’s full doctorate degrees in education while transferring up to 27 credit hours of your coursework.
What can I do with an educational leadership degree?
If you are a teacher or school administrator, you know that there are unique concerns and challenges in the school setting that are very different from business or other fields. To advance your career in the field of education, you need leadership and management skills that can help you build strategic plans, manage educational resources, and administrate complex organizations.
Liberty’s EdS in Educational Leadership is designed to give you these skills. By choosing an EdS in Educational Leadership online with Liberty University, you’re choosing an advanced credential that can help you pursue roles in K-12 school administration, higher education leadership, education policymaking, and other roles that require an expert-level background in education research.
What is the difference between an Education Specialist degree vs. a master’s degree?
Education Specialist degrees build on graduate studies from a master’s degree. If you have a master’s degree, you have a baseline of research, writing, and study that can help you tackle the advanced education topics in the EdS. If your master’s degree is in education, you may have completed licensure requirements as part of your practical studies. The EdS can help you meet additional requirements for advanced licensure or add-on licensure to expand your expertise and career options.
But even if you are already an established professional in the field of education, the postgraduate studies in the EdS degree can help you develop new expertise in postgraduate research and education studies. With these new skills, you can pursue higher levels of leadership in education and make a greater impact on students. The best part is that your postgraduate studies can transfer to a full doctorate later, allowing you to apply your new skills sooner while leaving the door open to a terminal degree.
What is the difference between an EdS vs. PhD?
While the EdS emphasizes advanced research and scholarship in education, it is not a complete doctorate degree. A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a terminal doctorate that includes a dissertation research project. While not built as a full doctoral degree, Liberty University’s Education Specialist degree is designed to equip you with research skills and exceptional scholarship that may form the basis for future dissertation research.
What Will You Learn in Our Online EdS in Educational Leadership Degree Program?
Our faculty members have real-world experience as educators, just like you. They know you need practical theories and methods you can use, as well as opportunities to implement what you learn.
Our instructors will teach you how to apply the latest research and learning theories at a variety of levels, so you can create a better learning environment for your students — whether you lead in the classroom or an administrative role. Our professors are dedicated to mentorship, so you can get the support you need as you rise to a new level of leadership in education.
In our online Education Specialist degree program, you will explore the complexities that diversity and exceptionality bring to the classroom, as well as how to motivate all learners. You can also explore the historical and social foundations of education as you study how to better communicate with the public as an education leader. We also know your degree should be tailored to your needs, so you’ll have the opportunity to select a few elective classes and study what matters most to you.
- EDUC 701 – Advanced Learning Theory and Research
- EDUC 742 – Educational Leadership and Public Relations
- EDUC 746 – Conflict Resolution
- EDUC 747 – Advanced School Law
Our EdS in Educational Leadership Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online EdS in Educational Leadership degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) Standards through the CAEP Accreditation System.
- Completion of your EdS degree through Liberty University allows you to transfer in up to 27 credits to our Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree to give you a jumpstart on your doctorate!
- While completing your EdS in Educational Leadership degree online, you CAN hone your instructional methods and understanding of learning theory so that you can oversee the crucial higher-order curriculum and instruction improvements needed in K-12 and higher education institutions.
- You can become equipped to step into the role of an administrator with our EdS degree program’s core leadership courses.
- While completing the EdS – Educational Leadership degree online, you can gain a mastery of essential research and assessment skills and become prepared to ensure your institution is providing effective teaching.
- This Education Specialist program falls under the School of Education.
- View the Post-Graduate Advising Guide.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this EdS program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Please note: Students enrolling in Educational Leadership programs after April 1, 2020, will not be eligible to receive Georgia Tier I or Tier II Educational Leadership Certification.
Our Education Specialist Degree’s Online Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discount – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- College administrator
- Curriculum specialist
- Instructional supervisor
- K-12 or college teacher
- School administrator
Upon completion of our Education Specialist online program, you will have an advanced, postgraduate, NCATE-accredited degree that can help you pursue leadership roles in K-12 and higher education or advanced, higher-order development of curriculum.
The education leadership area of study can help you gain advanced expertise in administrative roles in education. The skills and knowledge gained from our online EdS degree may provide opportunities in private or public schools, third-party curriculum development or learning tool development companies.
Admission Requirements for Our Online EdS in Educational Leadership Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.