Reach Your Students More Effectively with an Online Specialist Degree in Special Education
Our EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education degree allows you to dive into advanced research, learning theory, institutional assessment techniques, and curriculum development practices. Throughout our special education EdS degree program, you can develop the skill set you need to be a more effective special education teacher and administrator for K-12 students.
As a 100% online program, our EdS degree in special education instruction can help you learn the skills you need to better engage your students without you needing to take classes on a college campus. Earning your EdS online can help you expand your career horizons without sacrificing your current lifestyle.
What does EdS mean in education?
EdS stands for Education Specialist. This is a degree that allows you to take doctoral courses without the commitment of a full doctorate. This is an elevated credential that can help you become an expert in the field of education. An EdS can also be used to jumpstart a Doctor of Education (EdD) program.
Can you get a special education degree online?
You can gain a special education credential online! Our EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education can help prepare you to teach students with learning disabilities. Our 100% online format allows you to pursue your degree wherever and whenever you’re comfortable doing so. You can choose between full-time or part-time attendance. You also have 8 different start dates each year to choose from.
Our program is designed to provide you with the flexibility to pursue your goals the way you want.
How long does it take to get an Education Specialist degree?
Our online students have the option to pursue their degree at the pace they want. On average, students complete our online EdS degree in just 1 year.
What is the salary for a special education teacher?
You may be interested in working with students with special needs, but you’re also interested in knowing what your anticipated salary might be. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual pay for special education teachers in 2020 was $61,420.*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook: Special Education Teachers (viewed online July 16, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Education Specialist in Special Education Degree?
Our online EdS in special education can help you apply critical learning theory and cutting-edge behavioral research to your classroom so you can reach your students more effectively. Our education specialist professors have real-world experience in special education, and they can help you integrate your faith into your teaching methods in a professional and meaningful way.
Partner with Liberty as you pursue an EdS in special education degree, and be taught how to impact your students in a lasting, meaningful way. At Liberty, you can prepare for an even more rewarding career in education.
What are the benefits of pursuing our special education specialist degree online?
- Completing an online EdS program can help show employers that you have high-level learning theory, research, and curriculum development skills. It can also show employers that you are willing to go the extra mile to ensure you have the most advanced training.
- Completion of your EdS degree through Liberty University allows you to transfer in up to 27 credits to our Doctor of Education (EdD) program.
- You’ll be able to conduct cutting-edge educational research throughout your postgraduate EdS degree program that can equip you to publish groundbreaking insights into special education.
What Will You Learn in Our Online EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education Degree Program?
In your online EdS in Special Education degree program, you can gain a foundational knowledge of theory, research, and leadership that can help prepare you for a doctoral degree. You will study curriculum theory and development throughout your EdS program so you can improve curriculum and instruction in your classroom and beyond.
The special education portion of your online EdS degree can help prepare you to assess and meet student needs through strategic technology use, behavior management, and program organization and design. You have a passion to reach all students, and our Education Specialist degree in special education can give you the tools you need to increase your influence.
- EDUC 620 – Organization and Design of Gifted Education Programs
- EDUC 624 – Instructional Methods for Behavior and Learning
- EDUC 771 – Curriculum Theory
- EDUC 871 – Investigations in Curriculum Change
Highlights of Our Education Specialist Online Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- While completing your EdS degree, you can be trained in essential research and institutional assessment skills. This can help you ensure that your institution is providing an effective educational experience to your students.
You may also be interested in the online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) Program.
Our Online EdS in Special Education Degree Information
- This online Education Specialist degree program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for an official list of courses and a suggested sequence.
- View the Post-Graduate Advising Guide for more information about individual degree track requirements.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits of the Online EdS in Special Education Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with a Special Education Ed.S. Degree Online
- College administrator
- Curriculum specialist
- Instructional supervisor
- K-12 school administrator
- Special education teacher*
After completing our Education Specialist degree online, you will have an advanced, postgraduate credential that will allow you to pursue leadership roles in K-12 and higher education. Our Ed.S. degree will provide you with the opportunity to gain advanced expertise in K-12 education and curriculum development.
The skills and knowledge gained from our online Ed.S. degree may lead to opportunities in private or public schools, third-party curriculum and learning tool development companies, or for advancement in your current job.
*Please note: This is a non-licensure program. If you are not currently a licensed teacher, you may need to earn your teaching license to become a special education teacher.
Admission Requirements for Our Online EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.