Become an Authority in Academia with Liberty’s Online PhD in Higher Education Administration – Educational Leadership Degree Online
If you’re interested in pursuing a research-based career or opportunities in academia, Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Higher Education Administration – Educational Leadership may be a great fit for you. Our higher education PhD online has been designed with your success in mind. Whether you’d like to become a department chair, the dean of a school, provost, or university president, our online doctorate in higher education administration can help you reach your career goals.
As of October 2020, 62.7% of high school graduates between the ages of 16 and 24 were enrolled at a college or university.* This statistic speaks to the importance of qualified higher education administrators. Millions of young Americans attend college in hopes of earning an education, boosting their earning potential, increasing their employability, and forging lifelong connections.
As a higher education administrator, you’ll play a crucial role in building and maintaining a university setting that students want to attend. The role of a university administrator isn’t just about negotiating with accrediting partners or providing feedback to department chairs — it’s about ensuring that the future of the world is in good hands.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at College Enrollment and Work Activity of Recent High School and College Graduates Summary (viewed online Sept. 29, 2021).
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Higher Education Administration Degree – Educational Leadership?
Maybe you’ve always wanted to work in an academic setting, or perhaps you already do. Either way, there are numerous job opportunities available in academia. Liberty’s educational leadership and higher education PhD online could be your ticket to a well-paying career in student services, academics, faculty research, or higher education administration.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), postsecondary education administrators earned an average salary of $97,500 in 2020.** Demand for this career is expected to grow by 8% between 2020 and 2030, and the BLS projects that about 14,500 new postsecondary education administration positions will become available each year during the same time frame. If you’re interested in becoming a college administrator, our doctor of higher education is an excellent choice.
We recognize that your personal responsibilities don’t stop when you enroll in a degree program, which is why our doctorate in higher education online is offered 100% online in mostly 8-week courses with no required intensives. That way, you won’t have to worry about traveling to campus for classes or spend time away from your job, family, or community.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Postsecondary Education Administrators (viewed online Sept. 29, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Higher Education – Educational Leadership Degree Online?
In our PhD in Higher Education Administration – Educational Leadership, you will learn about teaching the college student, college and university administration, historical perspectives of higher education, and the economic impact of higher education. You will also study the specifics of accreditation.
In the educational leadership specialization, you’ll study issues and trends in technology and learning as well as policy analysis. You’ll also be able to choose between two courses: organizational analysis and problem-solving for educators, or conflict resolution. Our educational leadership cognate is rounded out by an elective course, which allows you to study a topic you’re most passionate about.
Upon completion of your core courses, you’ll begin to venture into dissertation preparation. The research courses in our online doctor of higher education include advanced educational statistics, quantitative and qualitative methods of research, and a dissertation literature review. You will also study research concepts and methodology as part of your research courses.
And finally, the dissertation portion of your degree will consist of multiple courses. Through these courses, you will choose a topic, research your topic, and present your findings to our School of Education faculty.
- EDUC 758 – Teaching the College Student
- EDUC 759 – College and University Administration
- EDUC 782 – Historical Perspectives of Higher Education
- EDUC 784 – Assessment and Accreditation
Highlights of Our PhD in Higher Education Administration Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- Upon successful completion of this degree program, you will have earned the title of “Doctor” – a title that commands respect in academic and business communities alike.
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
PhD in Educational Leadership Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Doctoral Advising Guide.
- Most of our PhD courses are offered in an 8-week format; however, the dissertation courses are full-semester in length.
Potential Career Opportunities for PhD in Higher Education Administration – Educational Leadership Degree Graduates
- College/university administrator
- Curriculum specialist
- Educational consultant
- Program coordinator
- Student affairs director
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online PhD in Higher Education Administration Online
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.