Impact the Next Generation with Liberty’s Non-Licensure BS in Early Childhood Education Degree
A lot happens in a child’s development both before and during their early years of elementary school. With new concepts constantly being introduced to them, children under the age of 8 have a lot of growing to do! You can have a hand in providing the love, support, and encouragement these young ones need to embrace learning and get the best start they can.
Giving children a solid foundation for their academic journey can lead to better lives and opportunities for them down the road. The young students you work with today could be tomorrow’s world changers. By earning an early childhood education degree online, you can learn how to transform the lives of the children in your care.
Liberty’s Bachelor of Science (BS) in Early Childhood Education Interdisciplinary Studies is a great option if you want to work in Christian school, private school, or homeschool settings or in childcare facilities and churches. You could also pursue a career as a paraprofessional educator in a public school. If you decide later on down the road to pursue licensure, this early childhood education online degree can provide a solid foundation for pursuing a licensure-track Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).
The Need for Early Childhood Professionals Is Growing
Your dream to work with children can be used to fill the need for talented early childhood experts in our education system. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the demand for preschool teachers is expected to grow 18% from 2020 to 2030* – and the demand for kindergarten and elementary school teachers is projected to grow 7% during that same time frame.** Liberty’s early childhood bachelor’s degree online can help provide the training you need to care for and teach students up to 8 years old (typically preK through 3rd grade).
With more students funneling through our schools, there is an inevitable need for teachers. There is also increasing demand for childcare workers in general, with the BLS projecting 8% job growth for this profession from 2020 to 2030.*** By completing an online degree in early childhood education, you won’t just be equipped to work in schools – you can also pursue jobs in daycares, child development centers, and other settings where you may work with young children.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Preschool Teachers (viewed online Feb. 22, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers (viewed online Feb. 22, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
***Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Childcare Workers (viewed online Feb. 22, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Please note: Liberty’s BS in Early Childhood Education Interdisciplinary Studies is a non-licensure degree. This program is designed to prepare students for non-licensed teaching/education roles and to offer a solid foundation for pursuing a licensure program at a later time. If you are interested in teaching licensure at the bachelor’s level, please see our Bachelor of Education program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education?
If going for your bachelor’s degree seems overwhelming or you’re wondering how long it takes to earn a degree in early childhood education, let us help. Our 100% online bachelor’s degree in early childhood education can be completed in as little as 3.5 years. With 8 start dates per year and no set login times, you’ll have the freedom to complete your early childhood education online bachelor’s degree on your schedule.
Find out what else sets us apart:
Credibility | Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Our programs have met rigorous academic standards and accreditation requirements, so you can be confident that you’re receiving an education of the highest quality.
Experienced Faculty | Our bachelor’s degree in early childhood education online is taught by seasoned faculty who care about your success. Drawing on their years of real-world experience, they can help equip you to lead with excellence and integrity in the field of education. Their encouragement can help fuel your heart for teaching, reminding you how important your work is for eternity.
Hands-On Training | In addition to offering award-winning academics and industry-leading faculty, we’ve designed our degrees to give you as many opportunities as possible to grow and learn practical skills. Our online early childhood education bachelor’s degree includes an optional field experience course that can be completed at an approved location near you. This course can help give you an additional confidence boost as you apply your studies to a live classroom setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What jobs can you get with a non-licensure bachelor of early childhood education online?
When you think of education professionals, maybe you picture licensed teachers working in public schools. Licensed educators certainly play a vital role in training up the next generation of students, but the field of early childhood education is so much more vast than that – and many jobs are open to applicants without a teaching license!
With this non-licensure early childhood degree online, you can pursue a variety of roles in early childhood centers, churches, and homeschool settings. You could even go on to teach in a private school or work as a paraprofessional in a public school. Partner with us and earn a degree that gets you where you need to go.
Can you earn an early childhood education degree online?
Yes! At Liberty, we believe you should be able to pursue your academic goals without putting your life on hold. That’s why our bachelor’s degree in early childhood education is available 100% online. You’ll have the flexibility to stay invested in your job, family, and community while getting the training you need to launch your career.
If you decide to take the optional field experience course as part of your Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education, you can complete the necessary hours at an approved location near you. That way, you can gain valuable hands-on training without having to leave your area.
Can you teach elementary school with a degree in early childhood education?
Early childhood education typically applies to children from birth through age 8. Thus, with a BS in Early Childhood Education degree online, you could become qualified to teach in a non-licensure capacity through the 3rd grade! Be sure to research the application requirements for any jobs you’re interested in to verify what type of education is needed.
What is the benefit to earning a non-licensure early childhood education degree?
Since many teaching jobs in public schools require state licensure, you may be wondering what advantage there is to pursuing a non-licensure bachelor of early childhood education. Typically, a licensure-track degree (e.g., a Bachelor of Education) will require a certain amount of practicums, student teaching placements, and gate courses to ensure you meet all competencies for licensure. These things are critical if you want to become a licensed teacher – but there are many education roles you can pursue without licensure.
If you’re confident that you don’t need licensure at this time (e.g., if you’re looking to teach in a private school), the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education provides a strong foundation in learning theory and instructional practice without requiring extensive field placements or other requirements associated with state licensure. Many non-licensure roles will still require a certain level of formal education, and this bachelor’s degree can help provide the training you need to pursue your career goals without requiring you to commit to student teaching placements and practicum hours.
What do you study in an online early childhood education degree?
Our early childhood education bachelor’s degree online can help you gain a solid foundation in a variety of subjects, such as biology, history, mathematics, geometry, and communication. This well-rounded base of courses can help ensure that you’re ready to guide students through a variety of subject-specific activities from preK through 3rd grade.
You’ll also dive into essential areas of education like learning theory, classroom management, instructional practice, and educational philosophy. Lastly, you’ll look specifically at the fundamentals of early childhood education, with an emphasis on the psychological development and learning needs of young children.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Education Online Program?
Liberty’s bachelor’s degree in early childhood education focuses on current issues and trends in education. You can also learn about the elements of instruction and the important psychological milestones of early childhood development. We know that you are passionate about teaching children – so are we! Let us help you discover the best instructional strategies for both you and your students.
At Liberty, you can earn a degree focused on child development as well as education theories and practices. This can help you better tailor an educational experience to the specific needs of your young students.
Some of the topics you’ll study in this early childhood bachelor’s degree include:
- Approaches to teaching reading, including phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and language development
- Basic theories and principles of child growth and development
- Best practices for teaching mathematics
- How family relationships, development, and content knowledge affect early childhood education
- How to develop a personal philosophy and apply it to teaching, lesson plan design, and delivery
- Learning theories and styles
- Methods for classroom management
- The promotion of wellness in early childhood education through good nutrition and safety for young children
We know that lectures and online assignments can only teach you so much – hands-on experience is important as well. That’s why our online bachelor’s in early childhood education degree includes an optional field experience capstone course, which can help you put your skills to the test in a live classroom.
- EDUC 210 – Early Childhood Education Fundamentals
- EDUC 215 – Wellness in the Early Childhood Setting
- PSYC 210 – Developmental Psychology
- PSYC 221 – Psychology of Childhood
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Early Childhood Bachelor’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online early childhood education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can transfer in up to 75% of your total credits to Liberty’s online bachelor’s in early childhood education.
Early Childhood Education Bachelor’s Degree Online Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Undergraduate Education Advising Guide.
- This online early childhood education degree can help prepare you for Liberty’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Teaching.
- Please note: This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for the Online Early Childhood Education Bachelor’s Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Careers for Graduates with a Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Education Degree Online
Some of the positions you can pursue with a non-licensure bachelor’s in early childhood education include:
- Early childhood center director
- Kindergarten/elementary school teacher*
- Paraprofessional educator in a public school
- Preschool teacher*
- Teacher within a faith-based organization or private school
*The Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education does not lead to teacher licensure. However, this program may be a good fit for students who do not need state teaching licensure to teach at a private school or in other non-licensure settings.
Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.