Inspire Middle School Students with an Online Middle Education Degree Focused on English
Learning how to communicate effectively is one of the most important skills you can teach. If you want to help middle school students develop strong English and communication skills, Liberty’s 100% online B.Ed. in Middle Education — English degree can equip you with the skills you need.
Teaching 6-8 graders is an opportunity to influence students during one of the most transitional periods of their lives. The positive influence you can have throughout this time is long-lasting and can lay a firm foundation for their future success, academically and personally.
Understanding English grammar and rhetoric contributes to student success, both academically and in regard to future career success. Your degree in middle education can help your students gain confidence in their English skills and abilities — confidence that will help them in many areas of their lives.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.Ed. in Middle Education – English Degree?
Earning your online Bachelor of Education from Liberty combines the flexibility you want with the standard of excellence you need. Our B.Ed. is one of the first 100% online bachelor’s programs in the nation — and the only program in Virginia — to offer a curriculum that prepares you for initial teacher licensure.
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Because of this, your degree will be recognized and respected among other schools and employers.
Additionally, this program provides you with licensure endorsement approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), allowing you to teach in the state of Virginia immediately upon graduation*. This degree can prepare you with the tools and knowledge you’ll need to be successful in the classroom.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
What Will You Learn in Our Online English-Focused Middle Education Degree?
The bachelor’s degree in middle education can provide you with a variety of foundational courses in English, communication, math, history, physics, psychology, biology, history, and more. You’ll be well-prepared to communicate these ideas and topics to your students.
Additionally, you’ll study a variety of subjects that focus on how to educate children and adolescents. Some of your courses will include topics like classroom teaching, instructional design for middle school classrooms, how to teach reading, writing, and language to diverse learners, and behavioral and individual differences between students. Plus, you’ll complete a total of 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
With your concentration in English, you’ll learn about world literature, expository writing, and modern grammar. These courses can give you the knowledge you’ll need to pass on core English language skills and concepts to your middle school students.
- EDUC 201 – Introduction to Education and Classroom Technology
- EDUC 318 – Teaching Reading to Diverse Learners
- EDUC 350 – Behavioral and Individual Differences
- EDUC 360 – Foundations of Education
Highlights of Our B.Ed. in Middle Education – English Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Graduate with licensure credentials to teach in the state of Virginia.
- Complete 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
- Observe and teach in a variety of school settings with your required practicum and student teaching hours.
- Learn from professors who are professionals in the field of education and are dedicated to our mission of Training Champions for Christ.
- Pursuing our online Bachelor of Education licensure-tracks may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
B.Ed. Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Practicum and student teaching hours as well as a background check are required for this degree.
Military Benefits for Our Online B.Ed. Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the way.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential credit for military training
Career Opportunities for Middle Education – English Graduates
- Homeschool teacher
- K-12 curriculum coordinator
- Licensed middle education teacher
- Private school teacher
Upon successful completion of the B.Ed. in Middle Education, you can be prepared with a well-respected degree in education and Virginia licensure as well as 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching. This degree can equip you with all the necessary resources, tools, and knowledge needed to succeed as a middle school English teacher.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.