Make a Lasting Impact in Ministry with a Master of Theological Studies Online
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MTS or MATS) is designed to provide you with an in-depth study of the Old and New Testaments, systemic theology, the Christian church, and other essential topics. This program is designed for individuals seeking an introductory graduate degree in religion. This program can help you start working in a church, ministry, or nonprofit organization.
By earning your theological studies degree online, you can be well-prepared for careers in various faith-based organizations. You can be immersed in biblical studies and experiential learning as you dive into research methods and ministry. We know you want more than a career – you want to make an impact. With our online master’s in theological studies degree, you can gain the knowledge and training you need to make a difference in the lives of others.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Should You Pursue Your Master of Theology at Liberty University?
Our online theology degree is an industry leader in theological programs, taught by professionals with real-world experience in pastoral and ministry settings. Our M.A. in Theological Studies can be completed 100% online. Each 8-week-long course gives students the flexibility they need to complete assignments any time during the week, day or night, and with no required login times.
Review some frequently asked questions below to find out why our master of theological studies online degree might be right for you:
What is the best online theology school?
The best school depends on your professional goals and needs as a student. We believe Liberty University stands out. Here’s why:
- Liberty’s institutional accreditation through SACSCOC and programmatic accreditation through ATS mean your degree will be well-respected among churches, ministries, and future employers.
- Our professors have years of experience in ministry, and they are dedicated to sharing their experience with you to teach, guide, and mentor you throughout your education.
- Because our mission is Training Champions for Christ, you can rest assured that we value integrity, excellence, and evangelical theology.
How much does a master’s in theology cost?
Liberty University’s divinity block rate allows you to complete 9-15 credits at just $2,475 per semester. You could complete your degree for less than $7,500! And all divinity courses (excluding PACO courses) offer electronic textbooks for free – which removes the books from your overall cost.
Additional discounts are also available for military service members and first responders.
What is the difference between a master’s in divinity and a master’s in theology?
A Master of Divinity is a 75- or 93-credit-hour program designed for ministry professionals who want to expand on their current knowledge and receive specialized training in a specific area of ministry. A master’s in theology is a 36-credit-hour program designed for someone who is just starting out in ministry and wants a formal education and training.
Please review our Master of Divinity program if you think this degree is right for you.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Online Theology Degree?
Your online theology courses can provide you with an overview of topics vital to anyone in a ministry-related field. You can learn about apologetics, the history of Christianty, Old and New Testament studies, and more. You can also learn how to conduct research, write theological pieces, and prepare for ministry. Your degree can also focus on hermeneutics, the science of biblical interpretation, and systematic theology.
Our online MTS degree also provides you with the opportunity to personalize your program to your unique professional goals. You can choose 3 theology classes online that can cover topics in apologetics, church history, Greek, Hebrew, and more.
- CHHI 510 – Survey of the History of Christianity
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication and Engagement*
- NBST 610 – Hermeneutics
- RTCH 500 – Research, Writing, and Ministry Preparation
*Course guide available on request
Highlights of the Master of Arts in Theology Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online theology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- The MATS may be used as a foundational degree towards admission into Liberty’s 60-hour Master of Arts in Religion or the 75- or 93-hour Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree programs.
- You can complete the MATS degree in about 2 years.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Online MTS Degree Information
This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Master’s in Theological Studies Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences).
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Theological Studies are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Master of Theological Studies
You may be wondering to yourself, “What can I do with a master’s in theological studies?” Our program is designed to give you a broad set of career opportunities. Liberty University can equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to be confident in any industry, business, or ministry you choose.
- Biblical historian
- Christian author
- Christian school teacher
- Ministry associate
- Nonprofit leader
Admission Requirements for the Online Theological Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.