Make a Lasting Impact in Ministry with an Online Theology Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) is designed to provide you with an in-depth study of the Old and New Testaments, systemic theology, and the Christian church, among other essential topics. This program is designed for individuals seeking an introductory graduate degree in religion to use in a supportive role in their local church or organization, or as the first step into religious studies.
By earning your theological studies degree online, you will be well-prepared for careers in various faith-based organizations. You will be immersed in biblical studies and experiential learning as you dive into research methods and ministry. We know you want more than a career — you want to make an impact. With our online master’s in theological studies degree, you can gain the knowledge and training you need to make a difference in the lives of congregates, students, and your community.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
What Makes Liberty’s Master’s in Theological Studies Degree Stand Out?
Our online theology degree is an industry leader in theological programs, taught by professionals with real-world experience in pastoral and ministry settings. Our M.A. in theological studies can be completed 100% online. Each 8-week long course gives students the flexibility they need to complete assignments any time during the week, day or night, with no required login times.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master’s in Theological Studies Program?
You will begin your master’s of theology online degree with an overview of church history designed to improve your understanding of the global development of theological, exegetical, and practical trends within the life of the Church. As you reach junior and senior status, you will begin an in-depth study of hermeneutics including a study of the history of interpretation, both biblical and extra-biblical, and an examination of the current status of various interpretive approaches to the Scriptures.
- CHHI 510 — Survey of the History of Christianity
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication and Engagement*
- NBST 610 — Hermeneutics
- RTCH 500 — Research, Writing and Ministry Preparation
*Course guide available on request.
Highlights of the Theological Studies Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online theology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the M.A.T.S. degree in about 2 years.
Master’s of Theological Studies Online Degree Information
This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester — only $165/credit from 9 to 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Theological Studies are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Master of Theological Studies
As a theological studies major, your career goals vary, and that is why this online degree program is such a great fit. Liberty University will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to be confident in any industry, business, or ministry you choose.
Admission Requirements for the Online Theological Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.