Make a Lasting Impact in Ministry Through Liberty’s Online Theology Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) is designed to provide you with an in-depth study of the Old and New Testaments, systemic theology, and the Christian Church, among other areas of interest. The program is geared towards individuals seeking an introductory graduate degree in religion to use in a supportive role in their local church or organization. The M.A.T.S. may be used as a foundational degree towards admission into Liberty’s 60-hour Master of Arts in Religion or 93-hour Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree program.
By earning your Theological Studies degree online, you will be well prepared for careers in various faith-based organizations. You will be immersed in biblical studies and experiential learning as you dive into research methods and ministry. As a leader in the Christian faith, we know you want more than a career- you want to make an impact. With our online Masters in Theological Studies degree, you can gain the knowledge and training you will need to make a difference in the lives of congregates, students and your community.
What Makes Liberty’s Master’s in Theological Studies Degree Stand out?
Our online theology degree is an industry leader in theological programs, taught by professionals with real-world experience in pastoral and ministry settings. Our M.A. in Theological Studies can be completed 100% online. Each eight-week long course effectively allows students the flexibility to complete assignments any time during the week, day or night, with no required login times.
What You Will Learn in the Online Master’s in Theology Program
You will begin your masters of theology online degree learning about major developments in Christian history and an overview of Church History designed to improve your understanding of the global development of theological, exegetical, and practical trends within the life of the Church. As you reach junior and senior status, you will begin an in-depth study of hermeneutics including a study of the history of interpretation, both biblical and extra-biblical, and an examination of the current status of various interpretive approaches to the Scriptures.
- CHHI 510 – Survey of the History of Christianity
- RTCH 500 – Research, Writing and Ministry Preparation
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication and Engagement*
- NBST 610 – Hermeneutics
* Course syllabi not yet available
Highlights of the Theological Studies Program Include:
- By earning your theology degree online from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set you apart from others in the field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty’s online ministry master’s degrees have received BestColleges.com’s Best Online Master’s in Ministry award for 2018.
- Students are able to complete the MTS degree in about two years.
Master’s of Theological Studies Online Degree Information
Visit the Rawlings School of Divinity
- View the Degree Completion Plan
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Masters of Theology Online
As a theological studies major, your career goals vary, and that is why this online degree program is such a great fit. You can use your experiences from Liberty as you begin your career and look toward your future. Liberty University will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to be confident, and possess relevant knowledge and training, in any industry you choose through your online theology degree.
Admission Requirements for the Online Theological Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for One Pastoral Recommender
- Official college transcripts; if not available, submit a transcript request form.
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.