Help Fulfill the Great Commission with a Master of Arts in Religion – Evangelism and Church Planting Degree
Are you passionate about spreading the Gospel? Do you want to carry out the Great Commission by helping to plant churches and grow congregations? If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Evangelism and Church Planting may be right for you! Our in-depth curriculum will teach you how to organize and establish churches that align with biblical principles.
Liberty University’s online evangelism and church planting degree is designed to equip you with a practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While pursuing the online Master of Arts in Religion — one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees — you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that can help you make a positive impact on your community.
By completing an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion, you can pursue ministry opportunities in churches, parachurch settings, and nonprofit organizations while preparing for further study in religion and Christian ministry. With the evangelism and church planting area of study, you can build on the core content of the program by learning how to share the Gospel and help plant seeds of salvation among communities and individuals.
The techniques and methods taught in the evangelism and church planting courses come from our professors — seasoned ministers and pastors who have active ministry experience and who want to use their knowledge to help you become more effective in your ministry efforts. If you want to earn your degree in church planting at a university that is committed to your success. We can help you gain the credentials you need to lead with excellence and integrity in the ministry field.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Evangelism and Church Planting Degree?
With the flexibility of a 100% online format and no set login times, our online ministry degrees make pursuing an education easier. As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, Liberty knows how to design programs that blend accessibility, affordability, and quality academics. By pursuing one of Liberty University’s online seminary programs, you can earn an accredited college degree that can help equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
The core content of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion provides foundational instruction in the fundamentals of apologetics, discipleship, and practical ministry skills. With the area of study in evangelism and church planting, you can also become equipped to engage with communities of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds to help find and meet their needs through ministry. The evangelism and church planting specialization is designed to help ministry professionals like you learn not only how to start a church but also how to help small communities of believers grow into thriving witnesses for the Gospel.
Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. To fulfill this mission, we offer top-notch instruction from professors who have years of experience working in the ministry field. Whether your goal is to work in higher education, prepare for further academic study, or serve directly in ministry, our faculty can help you pursue God’s calling on your life. We’re excited to come alongside you as you take this important next step in your educational journey.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online seminary student at Liberty University, you can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to potentially earn college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I pursue an MDiv or an MAR in Evangelism and Church Planting degree?
Both a Master of Divinity (MDiv) and a Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) provide core training in topics like apologetics, the history of Christianity, the Old and New Testaments, and systematic theology. However, Liberty’s online MDiv is a longer, more comprehensive program that covers additional areas, such as Hebrew and Greek language tools.
Many students in our MAR program later go on to pursue a full MDiv. If you decide to follow this same route, you can potentially transfer 2/3 of your MAR degree into our MDiv program! Additionally, many schools require a Master of Divinity for admission to doctoral divinity programs. Both our MAR and MDiv programs offer quality training and multiple specialization options — you’ll just need to evaluate which degree best suits your schedule, interests, and goals.
What is the difference between an MAR and a Master of Arts in Church Planting?
As you’ve researched online evangelism and church planting programs, you may have noticed that some schools offer a Master of Arts in Church Planting program. While this type of degree may focus mainly on methods for church planting, our MAR in Evangelism and Church Planting degree covers a wider variety of courses to help you develop a broad skill set.
Throughout our master’s degree in church planting and evangelism, you’ll take a core set of religion courses as well as specialized evangelism and church planting courses. That way, you can gain advanced knowledge of topics like hermeneutics, global studies, and ministry preparation while preparing specifically to help spread the Gospel and launch new churches.
Why pursue a master’s degree in evangelism and church planting?
Earning a master’s degree can help demonstrate your expertise to future employers and show them that you are committed to the highest standards of excellence. Additionally, our MAR in Evangelism and Church Planting degree can help you prepare to advance your academic studies in the future.
For instance, you could go on to pursue a full Master of Divinity (MDiv) or a Doctor of Ministry (DMin). While many schools require an MDiv for admission to doctoral degrees in divinity, Liberty allows you to complete the DMin program even if you only have an MAR — so you can get the education you need to pursue your career goals.
Completing a master’s program could also help you pursue opportunities for higher pay. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who hold a master’s degree earn approximately 18% more each year than their peers who only have a bachelor’s degree.* At Liberty, you can get the credentials you need to explore next steps in your career!
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment (viewed online June 9, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion – Evangelism and Church Planting Program?
If you want to become an effective witness for Jesus Christ, we can help you develop the skills needed to make a difference in your community and beyond. Our goal is to train up church planters who can go out into the mission field and help spread the kingdom of God while promoting spiritual formation among families and individuals.
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion provides extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, global studies, theology, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion provides in-depth topical studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
By pursuing the evangelism and church planting area of study, you can enhance your understanding of contemporary evangelism and church growth with advanced courses focused on identifying diverse community needs and establishing healthy churches. You will receive a guided overview of church planting, including effective church planting methods and cultural concerns when approaching communities as well as guidance on important spiritual factors of growing churches.
- EVAN 500 – Spiritual Factors of Growing Churches
- EVAN 505 – Introduction to Church Planting
- EVAN 510 – Evangelism and the Growing Church
- EVAN 610 – Church Planting Methods and Culture
Highlights of Our Master’s Degree in Evangelism and Church Planting
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online religion degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this online evangelism and planting churches degree in as little as 2 years.
- Liberty is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, is led by experienced ministry professionals who will impart valuable, time-tested lessons and insights about the challenges of evangelism and church planting.
- Develop practical ministry skills and learn how to help individuals and families stay connected and growing in the church.
- Become equipped to handle challenges in church growth and bolster the effectiveness of your ministry.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s MAR in Evangelism and Church Planting Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the MAR online are charged at the part-time rate.
Degree Information for the MAR in Evangelism and Church Planting
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our master’s degree in church planting and evangelism.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Evangelism and Church Planting
Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Religion can help prepare you to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations. Additionally, you can become equipped to pursue further education in Christian ministry at the graduate or doctoral level.
Some of the roles you could pursue with a master’s in church planting degree include:
- Adjunct religion instructor
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion instructor (non-licensure)
- Lay ministry leader
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Divinity Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for pastoral recommendation
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.