Serve Your Countrymen as a Spiritual Leader with a Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy
Our brave men and women serving in the military, both at home and overseas, are in need of spiritual leaders like you to help meet their existential, emotional, and spiritual needs. Military chaplains are commissioned, military officers. Throughout the military and the Department of Veteran Affairs, chaplains serve in either active duty or reserve components. Liberty University’s online Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy program helps you be a steward of the gospel by further developing your ministry skills.
Chaplaincy is a calling and a rewarding ministry. Military chaplains provide spiritual and emotional support for service members and their families who are dealing with difficult situations, such as deployments, combat, serious physical injuries, and emotional disorders because of military service. Through the Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy program, you will examine the theological and cultural issues relevant to both formal and informal chaplaincy settings.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy Online Program?
Liberty University, a nonprofit institution of higher education, was founded in 1971 and remains one of the leading Christian universities in the nation. Our Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy degree is offered in a 100% online program format for flexibility in meeting your educational needs while maintaining your responsibilities. The Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy is designed to help men and women prepare for professional Christian ministry in the military and the local church and parachurch settings. Faculty within the Master of Divinity program are ministry professionals themselves with years of cutting-edge experience. Each professor in the program will provide unique insight into the field of military chaplaincy and counseling.
Students who have graduated with the master’s degree in religion may transfer all 45 hours, as applicable, into the Master of Divinity program. The M.Div. degree will be conferred upon completion of all course requirements for both degrees. Our military chaplain students will receive assistance in finding the needed endorsement from a religious body recognized by the Department of Defense. Students are encouraged to discuss the process with their chaplain recruiters to determine what needs to be accomplished to become a chaplain candidate.
What Will You Learn in Your Master of Divinity Chaplaincy Degree?
Liberty University Chaplaincy programs have some retired, experienced military chaplains on faculty providing real-world experience and practical application methods within the chaplaincy (CHPL) courses. Students pursuing their Master of Divinity Military Chaplaincy degree will be trained in effective expository preaching by exploring the biblically based formula for sermon outlines and preaching.
You will study the biblical nature of chaplain ministry and its application within secular and pluralistic contexts of military, healthcare, and community chaplain settings. In your career as a chaplain, you will take on counseling roles. Courses in counseling and pastoral care will prepare you by allowing you to study methods and practices of biblical ethics in evangelism in a pluralistic culture. You will graduate from our Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy with the ability to be a spiritual leader with the ability to advise commanders and care for the spiritual needs of the military.
Liberty University’s online Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy offers a thesis track, geared for students who plan to pursue a doctoral degree. Students interested in chaplaincy will be better suited for the Doctor of Ministry instead of the Doctor of Philosophy in Theology and Apologetics. Students not interested in a doctoral degree can pursue the non-thesis track, though military chaplaincy students will be equally equipped for chaplaincy with either route.
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual and Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics
- CHPL 645 – Chaplain Resilient Leaders
- CHPL 680 – Military Chaplaincy
Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete this Master of Divinity Chaplaincy degree program in under four years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
Master of Divinity Chaplaincy Degree Information
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the thesis and non-thesis Degree Completion Plans for this program.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set log-in times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Military Chaplaincy
Upon completion of your Master of Divinity in Military Chaplaincy, you will have the opportunity to pursue many career options, some of which include:
- Christian educator
- Hospice or hospital chaplain
- Military chaplain
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 GPA or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts, if available
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation contact information
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.