Launch Your Ministry Career with a Master of Arts in Applied Ministry from Liberty University
Do you have a calling to work in the ministry field? Perhaps you are already involved with a ministry, nonprofit, church, or parachurch organization, and you’re ready to take the next step in your career. If that sounds like you, a Master of Arts (MA) in Applied Ministry from Liberty University may be for you.
Whether you are just getting started in the ministry field or are a seasoned veteran, a Master of Arts in Applied Ministry can help prepare you to take the next step in reaching others with the Gospel. The need for ministry professionals to permeate areas of society where faith is lacking is growing – and with a master’s degree in ministry from Liberty, you can prepare to meet the spiritual needs of your community in impactful ways.
By earning your MA in Applied Ministry online at Liberty, you can study the art of serving others in a way that points them to Christ. Ministry is more than a vocation – it’s a way to transform lives and change the world. Embark on your ministry journey or continue what the Lord has called you into with a Master of Arts in Applied Ministry from Liberty.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Applied Ministry Degree Online?
We know that quality is an important factor when choosing a master’s degree in ministry. That’s why all your ministry classes will be taught by professors who have advanced degrees in ministry, divinity, and other related areas of study. In addition, Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education.
Pursuing your online degree in ministry doesn’t mean you have to put your life on hold. Our applied ministry program is offered 100% online with no set login times. In addition, you’ll have the freedom to select areas of study in 2 different subjects so that you can prepare for a variety of exciting ministry opportunities.
At Liberty, you will do more than earn a degree – you will follow a passion. As the largest school of religious studies and ministerial training in the world, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity has a vast array of resources available to online students like you. With the support, flexibility, and quality that Liberty offers, you can prepare to better serve God and others.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Ministry Degree?
In this program, you will take courses that cover a variety of topics including research, the Old and New Testaments, and theology. In addition to completing your core courses, you can customize your degree to your interests and needs by selecting 2 areas of study. Finally, you will complete a capstone that is designed to help you apply what you have learned to practical ministry settings.
As part of this program, you will complete both a divinity and a non-divinity area of study. Some of the available divinity areas of study include apologetics, biblical and theological studies, Christian leadership, Christian ministries, evangelism, global studies, and next generation ministries.
For your non-divinity area of study, you can choose topics that range from business to education. The area of study that you choose is designed to complement your ministry area so that you can integrate your ministry training in a variety of settings.
- CHMN 501 – Introduction to Christian Ministry*
- NBST 515 – New Testament Orientation I
- RTCH 500 – Research, Writing, and Ministry Preparation
- THEO 610 – Biblical Theology
*Course guide coming soon
Areas of Study for the MA in Applied Ministry
As you pursue your MA in Applied Ministry, you’ll complete both a divinity and a non-divinity area of study. Check out your available options below!
Divinity Area of Study (9 Hours)
Choose 1 of the following subjects:
- Church Ministry in the Digital Age
- Church Planting
- Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Global Studies
- Next Generation Ministry
- Pastoral Leadership
Non-Divinity Area of Study (9 Hours)
Choose 1 of the following subjects:
- Applied Linguistics
- Christian History
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Leadership
- Exercise Science
- Geographic Information Systems
- Music and Worship Studies
- Online Learning
- Public and Community Health
- Sport Management
- Teaching English as a Second Language
- Urban Education
Highlights of Our Master of Arts in Applied Ministry Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Network with ministry leaders from around the country while pursuing your MA in Applied Ministry.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
MA in Applied Ministry Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Ministry Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online MA in Applied Ministry are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Opportunities for MA in Applied Ministry Graduates
- Ministry director
- Nonprofit manager/owner
- Parachurch professional
- Youth minister
Admission Requirements for Our MA in Applied Ministry
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.