Prepare to Be the Hands and Feet of Christ with a Bachelor of Science in Christian Ministry
Liberty University’s 100% online Bachelor of Science in Religion – Christian Ministries degree will equip you to serve in a wide range of church ministry positions. Whether you’re looking to launch your ministry career or pursue advanced studies at the graduate or doctoral level, we can help you achieve your goals.
In this program, you will dig deep into the Bible and gain relevant skills to serve wherever God calls you. You’ll develop a better understanding of Christian service so that you can effectively minister to people of all age groups. Partner with us and train to become a Champion for Christ in your church and community.
What is a Christian ministry degree?
At its core, ministry involves spreading the Gospel to nonbelievers, helping Christians grow in their faith, and sharing God’s love with all people. Those who work in Christian ministry seek to meet the needs of other people — both in the church and out in the community. While spiritual needs are the primary focus, Christian ministry can also include meeting people’s physical, emotional, and financial needs, among others. That way, you can truly be the hands and feet of Jesus and serve others out of unconditional, Christlike love.
There are many different ministry opportunities to choose from, depending on your skills, interests, and calling. From music and counseling to teaching and outreach, Christian ministry offers a valuable opportunity to serve believers and nonbelievers alike.
What degree do I need to be a pastor?
If you want to become a pastor, Liberty’s B.S. in Religion – Christian Ministries is a great starting point. Typically, churches expect pastors to earn a Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree. After completing our bachelor’s in Christian ministries, you can pursue one of our online MDiv degrees and take the next step in your journey to becoming a pastor.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Christian Ministries Degree Program?
As pioneers in distance learning, we’re committed to offering an education that fits your schedule. Liberty’s ministries degree is offered 100% online and has no set login times. You can complete your classes from the comfort of your home and easily access your course materials whenever you need them. Most importantly, you can stay invested in the things that really matter — like your family, job, church, and community — while still achieving your academic and professional goals.
In this program, you’ll learn from professors who have years of experience working in ministry. Drawing on what they have learned in their own careers, they can equip you with the practical, on-the-job skills needed to succeed in Christian ministry. Our curriculum is based on cutting-edge research, allowing you to receive an education that prepares you for the real world.
Liberty University’s online Christian college experience is unparalleled. We offer quality academics, affordable tuition rates, and top-notch instruction from professors who care about your success. All of our classes are taught from a biblical worldview, allowing you to grow in your personal walk with Christ and effectively serve others through Christian ministry.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Christian Bachelor of Science in Religion Program?
Our bachelor’s in religion provides the foundational knowledge and real-world training you need to conduct ministry in your church, community, or organization.
Our core courses dive into many important topics, including apologetics, the history of Christianity, and global studies. You’ll also take an in-depth look at Acts and Romans so that you can understand the scriptural basis for Christian ministry. By studying the best methods for teaching Scripture, you can share the Gospel with people of all ages and construct Bible lessons that are meaningful, fruitful, and doctrinally sound. Within the Christian ministries specialization, you can mix and match various courses to meet your unique ministry goals.
Explore how to apply biblical leadership principles and strategies to your local church or organization. Our religion program will give you the tools you need to present God’s Word in a way that inspires purpose and real-world application. You’ll also learn how to conduct academic research and writing within religious disciplines. That way, you can communicate the Gospel effectively and dive deeper into Scripture.
At the end of this program, you’ll complete a capstone course in order to synthesize what you’ve learned and apply your knowledge to real-world issues. After earning this degree, you can complete one of our online divinity master’s programs to help further your knowledge, expand your career opportunities, and increase your effectiveness in ministry.
- APOL 220 – Introduction to Apologetics
- CHMN 201 – Church Ministries
- GLST 200 – Introduction to Global Studies*
- RLGN 360 – Practical Teaching of Scripture
*Course guide available upon request.
Highlights of Liberty’s Christian Ministries Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our online courses are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- You could earn academic credit for life experience through our Experience Plus program.
- As an online Liberty student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
Military Benefits for Our Online Christian Ministries Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Liberty University’s Ministry Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our bachelor’s degree in ministry.
- View the Undergraduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
What Can You Do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Christian Ministry?
By completing our B.S. in Religion – Christian Ministries, you can pursue job opportunities in many different fields. Some of the areas you could work in after earning this degree include:
- Local church
- Local ministries
- Religious communities
- Social services
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Religion
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.