Diversify Your Skill Set and Become a Valuable Asset to Any Ministry
Are you excited about being a part of a ministry but wonder how you can incorporate your personal interests and talents into your career? You need a degree that combines biblical training with secular subjects – a degree that can hone your skills and make you a valued member of any ministry. With Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Applied Ministry, you can take your passion for ministry and combine it with nearly any subject!
Our applied ministry program is unique because it provides you with the basic knowledge and skills you’ll need to work in churches, parachurches, and nonprofit organizations. However, you also have the option to choose a unique subject in divinity and up to 2 additional subjects to study. You could learn about business, fine arts, aviation, health sciences, and more. These subjects give you the opportunity to build additional, marketable skills so you can do more in your profession and for the Kingdom of God.
What Is Applied Ministry?
Applied ministry is not necessarily a ministry category (like teaching or counseling ministries), but rather the capacity and experience to apply biblical, theological, and formational constructs and strategies to a ministry or vocational setting. Through applied ministry, you can gain the practical skills and knowledge needed to help expand the Kingdom and make a positive impact in whatever field you choose to pursue.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Ministry Degree?
Choosing a degree that meets all of your needs as a student and as a professional can be a challenge. But with Liberty’s applied ministry degree, you can pursue a degree that aligns with your unique goals. Here’s what this program can offer you:
- Flexibility | Each of your courses is offered in a 100% online, 8-week format with 8 different start dates throughout the year. You can complete your coursework and your program at your own pace.
- Integrity | Our mission is Training Champions for Christ. We work to live out that mission in all that we do. Our coursework is taught from a Christian perspective, and our professors are dedicated to praying for your personal, academic, and spiritual success.
- Personalized Courses | With this program, you will choose up to 3 unique areas of interest plus free elective courses – allowing you to customize your program to your career goals and ministry needs.
- Resources Beyond Ministry | While other programs may offer you the chance to study different aspects of ministry and related subjects, Liberty allows you to leverage resources outside of divinity. Business, aviation, music, and many more subject areas are available to you. Broaden your college experience and apply your knowledge of ministry to many other areas as you explore a wide range of educational opportunities.
What Will You Learn in Our Applied Ministry Degree?
Our applied ministry program can prepare you for a variety of positions within ministry and secular settings. In addition to core subjects like English, math, and philosophy, you will take divinity, business, and counseling courses. These will provide you with a well-rounded foundation of knowledge and transferrable skills that you can use in nearly any field.
Throughout this program, you can learn how to combine diverse ministry practices and principles that elevate the gospel and equip you to honor God no matter your vocation. Our program allows you to choose up to 3 unique areas of study so you can personalize your program to your professional goals.
Upon graduation, you will be able to:
- Apply key principles, skills, and strategies necessary for ministry implementation and management.
- Articulate and biblically justify essential truths of evangelical Christianity.
- Understand how different fields of study contribute to the work of gospel-centered ministry.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information!
- BIBL 360 – Methodical Study of Scripture
- RLGN 301 – Research and Writing for Religious Disciplines
- RLGN 360 – Practical Teaching of Scripture
- THEO 360 – Biblical Theology
In your applied ministry degree, you will choose areas of study based on your interests, career goals, and ministry needs. You are required to choose 2 areas of interest, and you have the option to add a third.
Area of Study 1 – Divinity (Required)
You can choose from any of the following subjects:
- Biblical and theological studies
- Christian leadership
- Christian ministries
- Global studies
Area of Study 2 – Non-Divinity (Required)
You can choose from any of the following subjects:
- Behavioral sciences
- Computational sciences
- Fine arts
- Health sciences
- Language studies
- Natural sciences
- Paralegal studies
- Physical sciences
- Social sciences
- Sports management
Find out more about the specific courses available in each area of study!
Highlights of Our B.S. in Applied Ministry Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all online undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You could complete your B.S. in Applied Ministry in as little as 3.5 years!
- With so many areas of interest and courses to choose from, you can personalize your degree to fit your career goals and the needs of your ministry. This interdisciplinary ministry degree can allow you to explore what interests you and develop skills beyond ministry.
B.S. in Applied Ministry Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for Bachelor’s in Applied Ministries Graduates
- Administrative pastor
- Creative ministry director
- Educational ministry director
- Human services professional
- Leader of a parachurch or other faith-based organization
- Local church and ministry associate
- Nonprofit manager/owner
- Youth ministry director
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.