Develop Your Skills and Portfolio with a Master’s in Visual Communication Design Online Degree
Are you an experienced artist who wishes to increase your knowledge of the latest techniques and tools in graphic design? Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design degree program seeks to provide you with the opportunity to enhance your oral and written communication skills as well as your graphic design skills through the use of visual media.
Visual communication is primarily expressed in graphic design, illustrations, advertising, animation, signs, and typography. It also explores the addition of text to images and the power it has to educate and persuade an audience for maximum impact.
Throughout this visual communication master’s degree, you can engage in coursework as a contributing designer by developing your critical and analytical skills, personal voice, and visual language. These essential design tools and expertise may allow you to become an effective leader in the professional world. Additionally, our master’s in visual communication design online degree program allows for the transfer of many courses directly into our Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Graphic Design.
Why Choose Liberty’s Visual Communication Degree Online Master’s?
The purpose of our Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design online degree program is to produce visual artists, graphic designers, and art educators that are leaders in their fields. Our classes can help prepare you with new skills and emerging technological tools that are all taught from a Christian worldview. These classes are 100% online so you don’t have to worry about abandoning your current commitments to family, work, or your community.
Visual communication design online courses can provide you with both practical and theoretical lessons that, when combined, produce a well-rounded perspective on various aspects of the field. You will complete special projects that emphasize layout designs applying to print and electronic media. Upon graduation, you can have a professional portfolio that you can use to further your career or gain entry into an MFA degree program.
What’s the difference between an MFA and an MA in Visual Communication Design?
Our Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design online degree program is designed for those interested in developing their skills in the area of visual communication design. Individuals who would like to enter the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program but do not have an existing portfolio for the application process can benefit from this Master of Arts in Visual Communications Design degree.
A Master of Fine Arts (MFA) is a degree specific to the fine arts and represents the highest level of practical skills training in this field. Liberty University’s MFA in Graphic Design is an example of a fine arts degree that can equip you with the graphic arts design skills you need to build your career. A Master of Fine Arts can also be used to teach higher education level courses.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Online M.A. in Visual Communication and Design?
Art is everywhere, from graffiti to film and in architecture and museums. Liberty’s master’s in visual communication design online degree program can help sharpen your understanding of various forms of art and how it can be implemented into visual communication design. You can decode and conduct an in-depth study of contemporary and historical art. Various courses in your visual communications degree can help put your creativity into action by building upon previous knowledge as you create special projects.
In addition to creating design and visual communications art, you can study the process to coordinate images and typography in order to produce a visual storytelling piece. This visual communication design program seeks to combine your graphic design knowledge with the study of typographic history and theory to produce a piece that reflects your own academic or professional goals.
As the worlds of art and technology merge, new forms of artistic expression arise. You can learn how to take new technology in web design and digital media to produce interactive design systems. You can also learn advanced graphic design techniques to present information across a variety of media.
One of the outcomes of your visual communication degree is for you to develop a set of projects that can establish your portfolio for pursuing a professional career in the arts. Your portfolio can also be used to prepare for entry into a number of Master of Fine Arts programs.
- ARTS 515 – Issues in Contemporary Art
- ARTS 524 – Advanced Typography
- ARTS 542 – Digital Imaging
- ARTS 578 – Interactive Design
Master’s in Visual Communication Design Online Degree Program Highlights
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in visual communication design online degree program has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design online degree program in as little as 1 year.
- Learn how to integrate emerging technology into your artistic designs.
- Upon graduation from our online communication design program, you will have a professional portfolio for academic or career goals.
- Network with other graphic design students and participate in an online community of professional artists.
- You will have access to Adobe products, like the Creative Cloud Suite.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Graphic Design – Our Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design is a terminal degree created to provide essential tools and skills that enable you to succeed in the arts. You can have the opportunity to gain advanced knowledge and develop skills in the history, research, practice, and discourse of art and design.
Master’s in Visual Communication Design Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Communication and the Arts.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Communication and the Arts Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options in Visual Communication Design
After completion of your master’s of visual arts online, you can explore many different career paths, including:
- Advertising designer
- Art director
- Graphic designer
- Visual design instructor
- Web/App designer
Admission Requirements for the Master of Arts in Visual Communication Design
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.