Enter the Exciting Field of Gaming Design with Liberty’s Video Game Designer Degree
You want more than the typical 9 to 5 job. You want to spend every day doing what you love. Imagine doing just that while using your passion for gaming to create fun for others in a field you thrive in. By pursuing a game design degree, you can develop the technical skills you need to achieve all of this and more.
The evolution of gaming has changed the world. Gaming is used to teach people of all ages new ways to socialize, strategize, complete tasks, and work as a team. Parents use online games as learning platforms for their children, while teens and young adults can develop motor and social skills while having fun. There are even games that can serve as therapy for the elderly.
From classic video game systems to games on your phone, the gaming industry plays a big part in our society today. If you are looking for a career with high impact and unlimited room for creativity, then a video game designer degree is the degree for you.
Liberty’s information technology – gaming design degree can give you the programming and design skills you need to join the exciting and evolving game design industry. These skills can also be applied to a variety of other creative and technical professionals, as well. With so many new opportunities in this rapidly growing job market, now is the time to jump in. Turn your passion into a career with Liberty’s online game design degree!
Why Choose Liberty’s Video Game Design Program?
Success in the video game space requires near perfection. With so much competition between platforms and with today’s rapid tech advancements, new games need to meet a high standard in order to succeed.
By choosing Liberty, you’re choosing one of the best colleges for video game design. You can be confident that you will not only be prepared for the current industry, but also for all the changes to come to the future of gaming.
Learn from One of the Best Colleges for Video Game Design
At Liberty, your success is our success. We’ve designed our online degrees to help students like you gain the skills you need to make your dreams a reality. With years of experience in the distance learning space, Liberty has created a game design degree that outranks its competition. Our B.S. in IT – Gaming Design program is ranked #1 by Bestcolleges.com as one of the best online programs in video game design.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Degree in Game Design?
Designed to be completed in just 3.5 years, our online game design degree allows you to continue to work while going to college. Because our video game designer degree is offered completely online, you can complete a bachelor’s degree on your schedule. Remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the burden of on-campus courses. Our strong academic foundation combined with our flexible online format can give you the confidence to pursue your dream career in game design.
Stay on Top of Trends in the Interactive Design and Game Space
With all of the rapid changes in the online game design industry, Liberty prepares students with a program focused on current tools and best practices — ensuring that you are at the forefront of new technology and trends. With our information technology – video game design degree, you will learn technical skills in programming and design that are critical for your future in game design.
As important as your passion for the gaming space is, your ability to understand the technical aspect of game design is vital to your success in the field. That’s why Liberty offers the kind of degree in game design that provides a foundation in information technology. Liberty’s game design degree will give you experience in current software programs and languages used in the industry.
On top of developing technical skills, you can also take advantage of our online community of future game designers. By getting to know like-minded students, you can grow your network and open the door to future career opportunities.
Awards for Liberty’s Online Information Technology Degrees
Liberty is one of the top colleges for video game design, with our information technology – game developer degree winning several awards.
Our program has also received the following rankings:
- AffordableColleges.com ranked our Information Technology – Gaming Design as the #1 most Affordable Online Bachelor’s Degree in Game Design.
- BestColleges.com ranked our B.S. in Information Technology in the top 10 for Best Online Information Technology Programs.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Gaming Design Bachelor’s Degree?
While it’s important, there is more to video game design than learning how to program a video game. In addition to having a strong foundation in programming and software management, you will need graphic design and animation skills. This skill set will allow you to create stunning content that comes to life for the player.
At Liberty, we’ve got you covered. Our online game design bachelor’s degree includes a broad range of courses in both information technology and gaming design. The information technology portion of your degree provides an in-depth study of the computer science skills you’ll need to program a video game.
Potential Career Options with a Video Game Designer Degree
- Creative director
- Graphics director
- Mobile user interface designer
- Software programmer
- Video game designer
Your gaming design courses will provide vital graphic design and game development skills. By earning a degree that pulls all of this knowledge together for you, you’ll be well-prepared for a successful career in game design.
Not only that, but our video game design program also offers the option to complete an internship. This optional internship can help you gain practical experience before you graduate, allowing you to expand your résumé and stand out to future employers. Whether you are looking to be a game artist, designer, or programmer, our online game design degree can equip you to be an asset to any employer.
With our dual emphasis on programming and design skills, you will be ready for a variety of careers in the video game industry.
Featured Courses in Our Game Design Major
In your information technology courses, you will:
- Learn advanced Java skills critical for programming applications.
- Build foundational knowledge in web architecture and current technologies utilized in the development of a website.
- Develop computer systems skills, including the design of computer hardware and operating systems, application programming, data storage, network and client/server concepts, and systems development life cycle.
- Participate in projects that provide hands-on experience with industry-leading SQL and RDBMS tools and ER CASE tools currently popular in business and government settings.
- Understand principles of system administration activities, applications, operating systems, and domains.
- Study and apply the concepts, theory, and practice of effective user interactive computer software, including user-centered design principles, guidelines, and evaluation for designing a software product.
- Explore human interaction with mobile applications, internet applications, and social networking technology.
- Complete a capstone project that designs and builds systems and emphasizes IT project management as well as quality assurance.
- Identify critical business process and envision how technology can be developed to provide solutions that generate competitive advantage.
In your game design courses, you will:
- Develop graphic design skills in page layout, visual hierarchy, and critique.
- Learn how to prepare digitized art for electronic media and print.
- Gain practical experience in the design and evaluation of 2D/3D still and motion graphics by storyboarding, designing, animating, and rendering 2D/3D graphic options.
- Train with industry standard 3D graphics programs.
- Learn how to use C# programming.
- Examine concepts in database connectivity and web applications.
Highlights of Our Information Technology – Video Game Design Degree Program
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our game design degree program in as little as 3.5 years.
B.S. in Information Technology – Video Game Design Degree Program Information
- This online information technology degree falls under the School of Business.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our game design degree.
- View the Undergraduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Game Design Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- College credit for military training
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants to our game design major must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.