Help Lead People Along the Road to Recovery with Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies Online
For many people, addiction is a life-long struggle that requires intervention from qualified mental health professionals. If you want to come alongside those who are battling addiction and equip them to take practical, actionable steps toward recovery, Liberty’s 100% online Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies may be right for you.
This program covers effective methods for helping people overcome addiction and avoid relapses. The skills you develop can prepare you to make a difference in the lives of your clients and their families – whether you’re working in a hospital, outpatient clinic, residential treatment center, government clinic, mental health clinic, or another relevant setting.
With our addiction studies certificate program, you can learn how to address addiction in both individual and group environments. The training you receive can help you pursue a variety of non-licensure roles in human services and behavioral health – and your courses will provide a solid foundation for future graduate studies if you later decide to complete a full master’s degree.
Partner with us and prepare to make a positive impact on your community as you help people lead healthier, more fulfilling lives!
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies
Our Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Case manager
- Community outreach coordinator
- Managed care specialist
- Mental health services specialist
- Program coordinator
- Research assistant
The skills that you gain from our certificate in addiction studies can be an asset in many other aspects of the counseling and rehabilitation field as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into our Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with an addiction studies certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Addictions Certificate?
If you want to gain foundational skills for working in behavioral and mental health but aren’t ready to pursue a full master’s degree, our online addictions certificate is a great option. At only 18 credit hours, you can complete this certificate in as little as 2 semesters – saving you time and money.
Throughout the program, you’ll receive specialized training that can help equip you to advance in your current field or branch out into a new career. Additionally, the credits you earn may transfer into our MA in Addiction Counseling – so if you decide to pursue a full graduate degree later on, you’ll already have a head start!
At Liberty, one of our main goals is to provide flexible education opportunities that fit your schedule. Our Graduate Certificate in Addiction Studies is offered 100% online with no set login times. Whether you’re a parent, a working professional, or have other important commitments outside of school, our addiction classes online give you the freedom to continue your education without putting your life on hold.
By pursuing your graduate certificate at Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. We are regionally accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Additionally, our addiction studies online courses are taught by industry professionals who have spent years working in counseling and mental health services. By pursuing your certificate at an accredited institution that offers world-class instruction, you can confidently prepare to take the next step in your career.
What Will You Learn in Our Addiction Studies Certificate Online?
In this program, you’ll dive into topics such as ethical and legal issues in counseling, theories of counseling and psychotherapy, effective interventions, and empirically supported treatment modalities. Your coursework can help you build a foundation for establishing your own theoretical approach to working with individuals, couples, and families.
Some of the specific areas you’ll study include:
- Counseling strategies for working with clients with addiction
- Effective case management techniques that focus on the whole person and promote treatment retention
- Group counseling methods and skills
- How addiction affects a person’s physical, emotional, social, and spiritual state
- Pharmacological treatment approaches to withdrawal, treatment, recovery, and relapse prevention
- Standard screening and assessment instruments for substance use disorders, process addictions, aggression, danger to self and/or others, and co-occurring mental disorders
- The addictive nature and properties of various substances and behaviors
Throughout your courses, you can grow into an ethically and spiritually aware behavioral sciences professional who knows how to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of individuals and families across diverse populations. At the end of the program, you can graduate ready to better serve and support those who struggle with substance abuse and other forms of addiction.
- ADCN 512 – Group Dynamics
- ADCN 606 – Pharmacology of Addiction and Recovery
- ADCN 607 – Case Management and Relapse Prevention in Addiction Counseling
- CEFS 501 – Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- CEFS 510 – Theories of Counseling
- CEFS 691 – Substance Abuse: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Highlights of Our Addictions Certificate Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete this online addiction certificate in as little as 2 semesters!
Addiction Studies Certificate Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- Please note: This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our Graduate Addictions Certificate Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Graduate Certificate in Addictions
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.