Bring Healing to the Hurting with a Crisis Counseling Degree
You are passionate about mental health and counseling. You want to help those suffering from recent trauma. You are seeking a degree that will help you spread Christ’s love in our hurting world.
If that sounds like you, Liberty has just what you need. Our online B.S. in Psychology – Crisis Counseling degree can help equip you to lead hurting people toward healing and hope. You’ll learn how to support those facing acute stress, grief, and trauma. With this knowledge, you could help on an emergency hotline or work in-person with people who are going through crises.
Partner with us and prepare to help people of all ages work toward a brighter future.
What is crisis counseling?
Crisis counselors offer support to those suffering from a recent crisis, such as a natural disaster or the death of a loved one. Trauma can have devastating effects on a person’s mental health — and crisis counselors can help minimize the damage caused by major crises.
Crisis counseling (or crisis intervention) is generally very brief, often lasting only a few weeks. That’s because crisis counselors seek to address people’s immediate needs, rather than provide long-term therapy. Crisis couselors provide emotional support to their clients and help ensure their physical and psychological safety in the wake of traumatic events.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Bachelor’s in Psychology – Crisis Counseling Program?
Flexibility | Earn a degree that fits your schedule. Our crisis counselor training program is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your coursework from anywhere in the world, without having to relocate to attend classes on campus. The best part? You can stay invested in your family and career while achieving your academic goals!
Biblical Principles | At Liberty, we seek to Train Champions for Christ. In keeping with this mission, we’ve designed our online courses to integrate ethical principles with professional knowledge. By approaching psychology from a biblical perspective, you can prepare to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Experienced Professors | Our courses are taught by faculty with years of professional counseling experience. They will provide valuable training that can help you thrive in a variety of careers.
Practical Training | In this program, you’ll gain real-world experience by completing a 125-hour internship. This could help boost your marketability and demonstrate your expertise to employers. Additionally, completing an internship is a great way to start helping those in your community, even before you graduate!
Frequently Asked Questions
What do crisis counselors do?
Crisis counselors help trauma survivors overcome acute stress and develop healthy coping strategies. In particular, they provide short-term support to people dealing with immediate crisis needs.
As a crisis counselor, you can offer hope, healing, and emotional support to those suffering from recent trauma. Ultimately, the goal of crisis counseling is to help survivors achieve emotional stability, return to normal functioning, and minimize the long-term effects of trauma.
What is considered a crisis in counseling?
Examples of crisis situations include natural disasters, the death of a loved one, divorce, loss of a job, and suicidal thoughts. A mental health crisis may stem from economic problems, family situations, or even significant life events (such as the birth of a child).
Can I be a crisis counselor with a bachelor’s degree?
Most counseling jobs are open to candidates who hold at least a master’s degree. While you typically cannot become a counselor with just a bachelor’s degree, our crisis counseling program can help you prepare to continue your studies at the graduate level. For instance, you may want to pursue Liberty’s licensure-track M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
You can still pursue many other types of jobs in the field of psychology with a bachelor’s degree! Check out our “Careers” section below for examples of roles you may qualify for.
Be sure to research crisis counselor requirements in your state to determine necessary qualifications.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Crisis Counseling Bachelor’s Program?
Our online crisis counseling degree provides a solid foundation in core psychology skills. Some of the topics you’ll study include social psychology, behavioral modification, statistics, and abnormal psychology. You’ll also explore how psychology and Christianity interact so you can develop a well-rounded approach to human behavior and mental health. Other topics of study include research, multicultural counseling, and the physiological aspects of psychology.
Our crisis counseling concentration analyzes the theoretical, historical, and practical aspects of crisis response. You’ll explore methods for helping people function in everyday life and maintain healthy relationships in the wake of trauma. You’ll also learn how to mitigate the damage caused by post-traumatic stress, extreme grief, and mental health crises. That way, you can offer immediate assistance to victims and survivors and help ensure their safety.
- CRIS 302 – Foundational Principles of Crisis Response
- CRIS 303 – Acute Stress, Grief, and Trauma
- PSYC 420 – Psychology and Christianity
Highlights of Liberty’s Crisis Counseling Psychology Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online crisis counseling degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Our online crisis counseling courses are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
Honor Society and AACC Certificates of Completion
- Did you know Liberty University has a Psi Chi Honor Society chapter? Learn more about membership opportunities.
- Liberty University has worked closely with the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC) to offer certificates of completion for many of our psychology courses. For a complete list of courses, contact one of our admissions counselors today!
Crisis Counselor Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our online crisis counseling bachelor’s program.
- View the Undergraduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
- A 125-hour internship is required (if you would like to gain additional experience, you may complete up to 250 hours).
Military Benefits for Our Bachelor’s in Counseling Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Careers for Graduates of the Crisis Counseling Degree Program
Our crisis counseling program can help equip you for a variety of rewarding careers. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Community relations manager
- Crisis hotline operator
- Psychiatric technician
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Victim advocate
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Online Psychology Program
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.