Help Free People from Substance Abuse with an Addiction Psychology Degree
Do you feel drawn to helping people who are struggling with addiction? Trained professionals are needed who can help people develop healthy coping mechanisms and heal from past trauma. Get the education, training, and tools you need to help addicted individuals recover. Liberty University’s 100% online B.S. in Psychology – Addictions and Recovery degree can help.
Our online addictions and recovery bachelor’s degree program has been created with your success in mind. We combine quality academics with flexibility and affordability so you can get the most out of your degree. This degree can be completed in just 3.5 years. And since it’s 100% online, you can complete your coursework whenever and wherever is most convenient for you.
“Liberty’s program allowed me to get an accredited psychology degree at my convenience. The schedule was flexible, and the online library resources were awesome. I am now receiving an extra 6% at work because of my Liberty degree. I grew both intellectually and spiritually because of Liberty’s emphasis on education from a Christian perspective.”
– Robert N. Betancourt, B.S. in Psychology
How much do substance abuse counselors make?
What can you do with a degree in addictions psychology?
What is the best online program for substance abuse psychology?
What is the role of an addictions counselor?
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in the Psychology of Addictive Behaviors?
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. Our online bachelor’s degree in psychology, addiction, and recovery will help you integrate biblical principles into your career. You can become a professional of integrity who will make a positive impact in the lives of others.
This program is flexible enough to meet the diverse needs of our students. Our addictions and recovery psychology degree may be right for you if:
- You are currently working in substance abuse treatment and need or want to earn a bachelor’s.
- You want to pursue a graduate degree that will lead to a counseling license and need a foundation in psychology.
- You want to start a career in substance abuse counseling and services.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Substance Abuse Classes?
In our addiction and recovery degree program, you can learn how to assess, diagnose, and develop treatment plans for those who are struggling with addiction and substance dependence. You will also receive training on providing interventions with understanding and compassion that are centered on the client.
With this degree, you can build a strong foundation in scientific and faith-based principles. Some of the courses you will take include Social Psychology and The Integration of Psychology and Christianity.
It is important to approach individuals with addictions from a holistic perspective. You will study the psychological, biological, and socio-cultural issues that affect the behaviors of an addict.
- PSYC 305 – Overview of Theory and Treatment of Substance Abuse
- PSYC 312 – Social Psychology
- PSYC 420 – Psychology and Christianity
Highlights of Our Online Psychology Degree in Addictions and Recovery
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online psychology addiction degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-$2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in the addiction and recovery process from across the country.
- Students in the online bachelor’s degree in psychology program who complete PSYC 450 – Children in Healthcare will be eligible to pursue their Child Life Specialist Certification. During this course, students can learn basic principles for human development and the psychological well-being of children as well as prepare for the certification exam.
- Liberty University has a Psi Chi Honor Society chapter. Learn more about membership opportunities.
- Liberty University has worked closely with the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC) to offer certificates of completion for many of our online psychology classes. For a complete list of courses, contact one of our admissions counselors today!
Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addictions and Recovery Degree Information
- Download and explore the online addiction counseling Degree Completion Plan.
- This online bachelor of substance use disorders falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the Undergraduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- Do you want more out of your degree? Add a minor (or two) to focus or expand your studies further.
Military Benefits for the Online Substance Abuse Psychology Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- Potential college credit for military training
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Jobs for Bachelor’s in Psychology Graduates
The bachelor’s of psychology in addiction and recovery was designed to give you the tools you need to help minister to those affected by addiction. Potential careers include:
- Applied behavioral analysis (ABA) technician
- Associate mental health professional
- Crisis line operator
- FBI special agent
- Pretrial services officer
- Rehabilitation counselor
- Substance abuse or addiction counselor
- Youth mentor
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Official high school transcripts or official GED test scores are required for an official admissions decision
- Students may be allowed to enroll in up to 12 credit hours with Liberty with the submission of an unofficial high school transcript and our High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.