Study Great Works of Literature Throughout History with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Literature Degree Online
Do you love learning about other people, places, and time periods? Are you easily captivated by the power of a well-told story and excited to dive into the deeper meaning of a book, poem, or play? Does the way literature has grown and changed over time fascinate you? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then a Master of Arts (MA) in Literature may be right for you!
Liberty University’s 100% online master’s in literature program is designed to provide a well-rounded look at great literary works across the globe. In this program, you’ll explore influential authors from many different times, places, and literary genres – equipping you to think critically about culture and the way that ideas are disseminated through stories. You can also hone your writing abilities and practice crafting persuasive, logical arguments – skills that are essential in nearly all professional career endeavors.
Furthermore, this degree can help equip you to analyze literature, produce independent, scholarly research in the field, and understand how premises and presuppositions influence the conversations taking place in today’s public square – and in literary text. Partner with us and earn a flexible degree that can prepare you to communicate important ideas and share the beauty of literature with others.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Literature Program?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to providing a flexible, world-class education has not. Our master’s in literature is offered 100% online with mostly 8-week courses and no set login times – giving you the freedom to continue your education without putting your life on hold. Not only that, but you can complete this program in as little as 1.5 years – much faster than a standard residential degree!
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. We are regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our courses are taught by experts in the field who have spent years teaching at the college level, contributing to publications, and diving into niche areas of literature. By pursuing your degree from an accredited university that offers top-notch mentorship, you can better prepare to pursue your future goals.
As a master’s in literature student, you’ll have the opportunity to develop essential skills that are applicable to many different industries – skills such as writing, critical thinking, research, communication, and reasoning. Maybe you want to eventually earn your PhD, write for scholarly journals, and pass on your love of literature to the next generation as a university professor. Or perhaps you’d prefer to pursue an industry job in editing, publishing, copywriting, marketing, or another area where you can apply your expertise. Either way, our master’s in literature program can help you work toward the next step in your professional journey.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Literature Degree?
Our online master’s in literature includes several core courses that cover writings from different cultures, time periods, and countries. In particular, you’ll study British, American, classical, contemporary, African-American, and world literature. You’ll also take a course dedicated to reading and examining the works of William Shakespeare.
In addition to conducting an extensive survey of literature throughout history, you’ll learn about graduate-level research and bibliography methods – so you can prepare to contribute new research and scholarship to your field. You’ll also explore literary theory as a practical tool for interpreting texts and practice analyzing literature from a variety of critical approaches.
Additionally, you will complete a research seminar – then customize your degree by either completing a thesis or taking 2 graduate-level English and writing elective courses. The thesis may be the best option for you if you plan to pursue a terminal degree, as many doctoral programs look for applicants who have completed a master’s thesis. Researching and writing a thesis could also help you get published in an academic journal – which is important if you’re considering a long-term career in academia.
Alternatively, if you’ve determined that you don’t necessarily need a thesis to pursue your particular goals, you may want to consider taking elective courses instead. Electives give you the chance to broaden your horizons and customize your degree with studies in the topics that most interest you. Some of the subjects you could explore include rhetoric, editing and publishing, writing as cultural engagement, etymology, English grammar, or grant writing. Many of these courses may be especially helpful if you want to branch into a career outside of academia.
- ENGL 602 – Methods and Materials of Research
- ENGL 603 – Literary Theory and Practice
- ENGL 612 – Contemporary Literature
- ENGL 656 – Studies in World Literatures
Highlights of Our Master’s in Literature Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Liberty University holds institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete your online literature degree in as little as 1.5 years!
- Customize your degree plan by either researching and writing a final thesis or broadening your skill set through elective courses.
Master’s in Literature Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Master’s Degree in Literature Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Literature?
Some of the careers you could pursue with a master’s degree in literature include:
- Digital copywriter
- Digital marketer
- Grant writer
- Technical writer
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Literature Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.