Use Linguistics to Increase Your English-Teaching Ability with Liberty’s Master’s in Linguistics – TESL Degree
Are you hoping to learn more about the formation of human language to be a better teacher? If so, Liberty’s online Master of Arts in Linguistics – Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) degree is a great option! Throughout this program, you’ll analyze the building blocks of language and learn how linguistics can be used to understand the evolutionary processes that underlie speech formation.
This teaching English as a second language degree program will complement the TESL and TESOL programs you may be teaching by covering the advanced theories found in applied linguistics. Through this TESL degree, you can develop a practical approach to language that can have far-reaching implications in artificial intelligence, business, translation, military intelligence, and speech pathology. By studying under our experienced faculty, you can become equipped to increase second language acquisition and even help students better understand their primary language.
Our PhD in counseling online degree is taught by professionals with real-world experience in clinical and leadership settings. The PhD in Counseling program curriculum builds on your knowledge and expertise to grow critical thinking, leadership, and clinical skills. Whether you are seeking to expand in your current role or explore other areas within the counseling field, our PhD in Counseling online program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and training you need.
Why Choose Liberty’s Teaching English as a Second Language Linguistics Degree Online?
Whether you are working full-time or trying to balance your family and community commitments, continuing your education can be difficult. We offer our teaching English as a second language master’s linguistics degree 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. You’ll have the freedom to complete your courses from the comfort of home without the worry of having to attend classes on campus.
At Liberty, we seek to equip qualified professionals with the tools needed to make a difference. Maybe you already work as a TESL instructor and want to increase your job prospects, or perhaps you’re looking to enter this exciting field for the first time. Either way, our online linguistics TESL degree can equip you with a solid understanding of the theoretical side of human language and help you integrate this knowledge into your classes so you can become a more effective teacher.
What Will You Learn in Our Online TESL Linguistics Degree?
Liberty’s online linguistics degree is broken down into 3 main parts: core linguistics courses, language studies electives, and the teaching English as a second language specialization. Within the core content of this program, you’ll study advanced topics in semantics, pragmatics, phonetics, phonology, morphology, and syntax. You’ll also dive into the history of language and explore important aspects of linguistic field studies. Our second language acquisition course provides an overview of language program models, learning theory, and state and federal language policies.
The teaching English as a second language specialization will give you added instruction in the history, philosophies, and current trends of second language research. You will also learn how to create a fully integrated classroom curriculum that incorporates reading, writing, listening, and speaking. To round out your second language studies, you will learn about various assessment methods and protocols for test creation.
All of your courses will be taught from a Christian worldview and based on principles that can help you foster a more productive personal and professional life. With professors who care about your development and success, you can be assured you will be working with a supportive and helpful faculty You will also have the opportunity to interact with your fellow students to share professional knowledge and insights on how to have a more successful classroom.
Highlights of Our Master’s Degree in Linguistics – TESL
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree in linguistics from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- You can complete this M.A. in Linguistics – Teaching English as Second Language degree in just 1.5 years!
- Our teaching English as a second language linguistics program is offered 100% online, giving you the freedom to complete your degree on your schedule.
- You’ll have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in linguistics from across the country while pursuing your master’s degree in linguistics.
What Can You Do with a Linguistics TESL Degree?
- Forensic linguist
- Language data analyst
- Military intelligence linguist
- Professional linguist
Master’s in Linguistics – TESL Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Admission Requirements for the MA in Linguistics – Teaching English as a Second Language
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)