Gain an In-Depth Understanding of English and World Languages with Our Online Master of Arts in Linguistics – English Language Studies
Are you interested in learning about English linguistics, communication between cultures, or language in general? Maybe you’ve been seeking an online master’s in linguistics from a respected university, but you haven’t found the right fit yet. If you would like to pursue a master’s degree that can provide you with an in-depth knowledge of linguistics, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Linguistics – English Language Studies may be for you.
Linguistics is the advanced study of human language. It is foundational to academic fields in translation, languages, artificial intelligence, military intelligence, cultural studies, and speech pathology. Liberty is one of the first universities in the United States to offer a fully online MA in Linguistics program.
Linguistical skills are highly sought after in the fields of intelligence, diplomacy, and advanced language studies. If you are interested in pursuing a career in these fields, partner with us, gain an advanced understanding of linguistics, and increase your marketability to employers.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Linguistics – English Language Studies?
We understand that pursuing a linguistics graduate program is no small decision — especially when you already have commitments to your family, community, and work. That’s why we offer our Master of Arts in Linguistics – English Language Studies 100% online in 8-week courses and with no set login times. At Liberty, you can complete your coursework on a schedule that best suits you.
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we know what it takes to develop a respected online degree program that challenges you to grow academically, personally, professionally, and spiritually. As part of our mission to Train Champions for Christ, each of your courses will be taught by a Christian professor from a biblical worldview. In addition, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can rest assured that your degree has met rigorous accreditation standards and is widely respected.
At Liberty, we believe that our Christian mission, our successful history in distance education, our regional accreditation, and the flexibility of our courses set us apart from other universities. If you’d like to learn more about how Liberty’s MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies can help you reach your career goals, request information or apply today!
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Arts in Linguistics – English Language Studies Degree?
Our MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies degree is designed to help equip you with an in-depth understanding of linguistic theory and the English language.
This degree program is divided into 3 different sets of courses: core courses, language studies courses, and English language studies courses. The core courses in this degree will explore advanced semantics, phonetics, phonology, morphology, and syntax. You will also learn about the history of language and second-language acquisition.
The language studies section of your degree allows you to choose 6 credit hours in computer science, language studies, or Spanish courses. Lastly, our English language studies specialization consists of 3 courses that cover advanced English grammar, etymology, and English as a world language.
While most students will likely complete our master’s in English linguistics degree in 1.5 years, this 36-credit-hour program can be completed in just 1 year. At Liberty, we offer you the opportunity to earn a respected degree at a pace that is comfortable for you. Partner with us for your graduate studies and learn marketable, useful skills that can serve you well in academia, corporate industries, and beyond.
- ENGL 633 – Advanced English Grammar
- ENGL 634 – Etymology*
- ENGL 664 – English as a World Language
- LING 600 – Advanced Semantics and Pragmatics*
*Course guide coming soon
MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Career Opportunities for MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies Degree Graduates
- Professional linguist
- Technical writer
Highlights of Our MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online master’s in linguistics degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Liberty University holds institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Admission Requirements for Our MA in Linguistics – English Language Studies Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)