Gain Valuable, Research-Related Skills with an Online Master’s in Interdisciplinary Research Degree
Maybe your dream career requires a wide range of knowledge and skills that are hard to confine to just 1 discipline. That’s why Liberty’s Master of Arts (MA) in Interdisciplinary Research is customizable, allowing you to tailor your degree around 2 areas of study instead of just 1. After graduating with a master’s degree in interdisciplinary research, you can be prepared for collegiate teaching, doctoral-level studies, and a variety of careers that are unique to you.
What is interdisciplinary research?
You may be wondering, “What is interdisciplinary research, how is it different from interdisciplinary studies, and why should I get a degree in it?” Most jobs require a specific combination of education, training, and experience. Multidisciplinary studies programs attempt to meet this need by stitching together several traditional degrees into 1 if an existing degree doesn’t fit.
An interdisciplinary research degree is, as the name suggests, a more research-focused degree, while an interdisciplinary studies degree is more practitioner focused. We have refined the interdisciplinary master’s research program to focus on 2 areas of study. One area consists of 18 hours and the other 12, with a thesis that will tie the 2 areas together. This can give you greater flexibility for doctoral-level studies or college-level teaching.
Whatever your career goals, this degree can help give you the ability to apply new skills and knowledge to many unique and cutting-edge fields. Liberty’s program integrates the specific areas of study you need into a flexible program that can help you maximize your opportunities. If you are working in the healthcare industry, military, or government, you may find this degree especially useful, as it can allow you to bring together your unique talents and areas of study. With our interdisciplinary research degree, you can advance your career goals with an outside-the-box degree plan.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Interdisciplinary Research Online Degree?
Interdisciplinary research is a great degree for using available credits and knowledge to quickly finish your studies. Liberty University has created an interdisciplinary research program that will allow you to gain enough credit hours for further academic study in a particular discipline. Here are some of the benefits of this program:
- Bring together 2 disciplines that may not always have been viewed as vocational partners and, in doing so, increase your marketability in the workforce.
- Gain 18 credit hours in 1 field and 12 in another.
- Lay a foundation for future doctoral research in 1 or both areas of study.
- Meet the minimum requirements for collegiate teaching.
- Write a thesis that ties your 2 fields together.
Furthermore, Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). A quality degree program from an accredited institution means you can be confident that the training and education we provide meet the highest level of academic standards. Whether you choose to continue to doctoral studies or utilize this degree to advance your career, having an accredited degree can help you pursue your chosen path.
What Will You Learn in Our MA in Interdisciplinary Research Online Degree?
When you begin our online interdisciplinary research degree, you can choose 2 areas of study to customize your degree. This can be done solely through Liberty or by utilizing transfer credit from outside colleges, military training, work experience, or on-the-job training. You can choose from areas of study such as government, religion, strategic communication, military and national security, and more:
- American Legal Studies
- Church History
- Criminal Justice
- Geographic Information Systems
- International Legal Studies
- International Relations
- Military and National Security
- New Testament
- Old Testament
- Public Administration
- Strategic Communications
What Skills Can I Learn in Interdisciplinary Research?
No matter which areas of study you choose, Liberty can help you prepare for your next career move with practical professional skills, such as:
- Academic qualifications to continue to doctoral studies
- Comprehensive introduction to graduate interdisciplinary research and writing skills to help you know how to use your special mix of studies
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Research methods
Our goal is to help you apply your unique background and education to create a degree that suits you best. Your studies will culminate in a thesis that will tie your 2 fields together. This interdisciplinary research master’s degree can help prepare you for further study at the doctoral level or teaching at the collegiate level.
Highlights of Our Interdisciplinary Research Master’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online interdisciplinary research degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- You will have the ability to select 2 areas of study for a customized learning experience directly correlated with your research-focused career and academic goals.
- Our Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Research graduate program can be completed in just 1.5 years!
MA in Interdisciplinary Research Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Opportunities for MA in Interdisciplinary Research Graduates
There are many possibilities depending on your areas of study, but here are a few general areas that you might pursue:
- Department of Defense worker
- Government official
Military Benefits for Interdisciplinary Research Students
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Research
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.