Shape the Future by Learning from the Past with an Online Master’s in History Degree
Our world is complicated. And while some people don’t give much thought to how the complexity of our world came about, you do. You know that there is a story behind what we see, and you want to know what that story is.
Like you, we believe that studying past events, cultures, innovations, and ideas helps us to build on a foundation of wisdom. Pursue an online master’s in history with Liberty University and study these events so you can better understand what’s happening today and what’s coming tomorrow.
No matter what you hope to do with your Master of Arts in History, Liberty is here to help. Pursue your academic passions with Liberty University’s master’s program in history.
What can you do with a master’s in history?
With an online M.A. in History, you can feed your love of learning and exploring the story of mankind through history. Even more than that, you can share what you learn with others and help shape the future.
- If you are interested in academia, our online master’s in history can help you prepare for a Ph.D. program.
- An online history master’s degree can help equip you to teach history or social studies at the collegiate level.
- You could work as a historian and study, analyze, interpret, and write about historical data.
- You could apply your skills to work as an archivist, archaeologist, museum curator, or political scientist.
- The strong writing and analysis skills that you can sharpen as an online history master’s degree student can even help prepare you for success in the editing and publishing field.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in History Degree?
At Liberty, your success is our success. We are dedicated to providing you with the education you need to pursue your goals. With our flexible history curriculum, you can study what interests you most while also gaining expertise in core historiography as well as vital research skills.
When you choose Liberty, you’re choosing…
Our online master’s degree in history is taught by professors with real-world experience in professional and leadership settings. Our faculty members see teaching as a calling and are dedicated to student development. Learn from your professors and their years of experience as you step into a field they’re passionate about.
Liberty’s online history master’s degree is unique compared to other degrees. As a nonprofit Christian university, we offer history courses that are taught from a biblical perspective. You can gain an understanding of how the Christian heritage has shaped our current cultural context as well as how to study history through a biblical worldview.
And with Liberty, you can complete your Master of Arts in History 100% online. You shouldn’t have to give up time with your family, community, or at work to achieve your goals. Let us help you gain new knowledge and career-ready skills from the comfort of home!
What Will You Learn in Our Online Master’s in History?
We understand that students interested in a master’s in history have a wide range of career and academic goals. An online master’s degree in history can help open doors for many different kinds of opportunities, and the direction of one student may be very different from another.
For this reason, our online history master’s degree has been designed to be as diverse as our students, allowing you to pursue your own interests and make your goals a reality. Our flexible, online master’s in history program requires 9 credit hours of fundamental courses that can help give you the skills you need to succeed in the study of history.
Some of the major topics you will cover include:
- Historiography, its theoretical and interpretive underpinnings, and how to document history responsibly as a historian
- How to conduct historical research and study effectively using archival collections, digital resources, and oral history interviews
- The development and effects of Christianity in America
- Your choice of topics in areas like the American Revolution, the Civil War, the history of American political parties, and major events in world history
Featured Distance Learning History Courses
- HIEU 566 – Protestant Reformation
- HIST 501 – Historical Methods
- HIST 502 – Historiography*
- HIUS 530 – American Christian Heritage
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Liberty University’s Master’s Program in History
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your Master of Arts in History from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online master’s degree in history in as little as 1.5 years.
- Students in our Master of Arts in History will benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
Online Master’s in History Degree Information
- The online Master of Arts in History falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Online History Master’s Degree Students
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Options with a Master’s Degree in History
Your career goals vary, and that is why our online M.A. in History is such a great fit. We can help equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to be confident in many different roles, including:
- College or secondary educator
- Government worker
- Museum curator
- Public relations worker
Admission Requirements for Our M.A. in History Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants to the M.A. in History online program must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.