Honor the Past with Our Online Master’s in History Degree
Studying and learning from past events, culture, innovation, and ideas from those who have gone before us are the foundation upon which our country was built. Earn your online Master’s in History degree from a university that recognizes the importance of understanding the world, past and present, while preparing you for your future. Through Liberty’s online master’s degree in History, you will be well-prepared for careers in various history-related fields. Our online Master’s degree in History is designed to help you pursue your passion for the past.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in History Degree?
Our online Master’s Degree in History is taught by professors with real-world experience in professional and leadership settings. Our online master’s degree in History is offered completely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus.
You will begin your online Master’s in History degree by learning the mechanics of studying history to create a solid foundation. Our foundational online history courses will introduce the methodological, historiographical, and theoretical approaches to the discipline of history. The understanding of these approaches will help you better grasp the curriculum as you work through the degree. As you reach junior and senior status, you will explore 16th-century Europe and the historical impact of the Protestant Reformation while highlighting the Christian cultural heritage of Europe. We know our students have a passion for history as a way of understanding our present and shaping our future. At Liberty, we will equip you with the knowledge you need to affect the world through a strong understanding of the past and future rooted in Christ.
Liberty’s Master’s in History online degree program complies with regional accreditation standards and is designed to promote superior academic scholarship and professionalism for those students continuing their education or entering vocations in the field of history. It seeks to prepare students to understand history’s place in God’s plan and to meet the challenges posed by history vocations.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master’s in History Degree?
You will begin your online Master’s in History degree by becoming familiar with the mechanics of studying history and learning how to conduct an oral history interview. As you reach junior and senior status, you will examine the American political process and forms of servitude in the Western world.
Liberty’s professors are chosen with you in mind. As you pursue your online degree in history, you will learn from professors who share your same passion for the study of history. Our faculty members see teaching as a calling and are dedicated to student development. In classroom settings, research environments and one-on-one relationships, faculty members seek to mentor and disciple students. You will learn from their vast years of experience, combined with your knowledge, to grow in understanding and practice.
Admission Requirements for the Master Arts in History
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Minimum of 18 hours of UG history or related disciplines with a grade of C or higher
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of the Online Master’s in History Degree Program
- By earning your Master’s Degree in History from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in the field of history.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master’s in History in about two years or four full-time semesters.
- Students will benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s Degree in History
Your career goals vary, and that is why our Masters in History degree is such a great fit. Liberty University will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to be confident in any industry you choose.
- College or Secondary Educator
- Government Worker
- Museum Curator
- Public Relations Worker
Online Masters in History Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students have the option to take an internship as a part of the program (HIST 699).
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Course Syllabi. (login required)