Grow Your Writing Passion into a Career with Liberty’s Online MFA in Creative Writing
Many people write creatively, but few hone their skills to develop their writing craft to its highest form. Even fewer learn the other skills it takes to become a successful writer like the steps needed to get a book published and into the hands of readers. Liberty’s 100% online Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing can help you develop your writing passion into a career so you can set your works free to impact culture and the world.
Employers in every industry need professionals who have strong writing skills, so you can be confident that your ability to write effectively can also set you apart in your current career. With in-demand writing expertise and the ability to customize your degree with electives in literature or writing practice, Liberty’s online MFA in Creative Writing can help you achieve your professional writing goals.
Our online MFA in Creative Writing is designed to help you build on your writing skills with specific workshops dedicated to the craft of fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction, or screenwriting. With a work-in-progress approach to writing practice and mentorship from our faculty of experienced writers and scholars, you can learn the specific skills you need to make your writing stand out.
What is an MFA in Creative Writing?
A Master of Fine Arts degree, or MFA, is a terminal degree in an artistic craft that demonstrates that you have achieved the highest level of training and skill in your discipline. Like a doctorate, an MFA often allows you to teach courses at the graduate level while also providing many opportunities for scholarship and leadership in education. If you want to grow your creative writing skills to become the best writer you can be, then the Master of Fine Arts can help you get there.
Why Choose Liberty’s MFA in Creative Writing?
Our online MFA in Creative Writing is offered in an 8-week format, with no set login times, and a tuition rate for graduate programs that hasn’t increased in over 5 years. Through our program, you will study the writing process and develop your creative skills through workshops with experienced writing professionals. With our flexible format, you can grow in your creative writing while continuing to do what is important to you.
We are excited to provide you with the opportunity to study course content developed by New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury. Learn from her years of success as an author, screenwriter, blogger, and producer, as well as her ability to stand firm in her Christian faith in a mostly secular industry. With Kingsbury’s insights into the publishing process and the business of getting books into the hands of readers, you can pursue your creative projects with confidence.
As a terminal degree, the online MFA in Creative Writing also provides the opportunity to teach writing at the K-12 or college level. You will have comprehensive and in-depth exposure to writing, literature, publishing, and many other professional writing skills that you can pass on to students. Partner with the Liberty family and learn under faculty who have spent years in the field you love. Your career in professional writing starts here.
What Will You Learn in Our MFA in Creative Writing?
The MFA in Creative Writing program is designed to help you learn to be an excellent creative writer across the genres of creative fiction, non-fiction, screenwriting, and poetry. You will learn how to produce aesthetically and culturally engaged creative works while gaining professional knowledge and practice. You will also study foundational contemporary literature so that you have a background in studying important works to draw on for your writing. To help you in your professional writing, you will also study many essential skills in editing, layout, and the business of publishing so that you can best position yourself for success in the market.
Through your creative writing courses and workshops, you will develop your craft so that you will be ready for your capstone project. With this project, you will demonstrate your writing achievements through a guided process so you can complete a creative work that you’re proud of.
Here are a few examples of the skills Liberty’s MFA in Creative Writing helps you master:
- How to market your projects and receive new writing opportunities
- How to write compelling stories that engage readers
- Organizing writing and adapting it to different types of writing
- Tailoring writing to specific audiences and markets
- What makes art effective, compelling, and impactful
- ENGL 600 – Editing, Layout, and Publishing
- ENGL 601 – Writing as Cultural Engagement
- ENGL 612 – Contemporary Literature*
- WRIT 610 – Writing Fiction*
*Course guide coming soon
MFA in Creative Writing Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online MFA in Creative Writing Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for MFA in Creative Writing Graduates
- Book and magazine writer
- Business communications specialist
- Creative writing instructor
- Publications editor
- Website copy editor and writer
- Writing manager
Admission Requirements for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (MFA)
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Creative writing sample
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online MFA degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years – and counting.
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Writing. Your curriculum includes content developed by Kingsbury herself.
- With creative writing workshops and a capstone that will guide you through the completion of a major work of writing, you will have support and guidance to help you become the best writer you can be.
- You can complete the MFA in Creative Writing in as little as 2 years!