Prepare for the Future While Studying the Past with Our Online History Associate Degree
Earning an associate degree in history is a great start for a career in a history-related field, business, or creative pursuit. Liberty University’s Associate of Arts in History degree provides foundational training in American and world history, civic and global engagement, and interpreting historical documents.
Our associate degree in history equips you to look back in order to move forward with greater wisdom and insight. This program is a foundational degree if you are interested in understanding culture, governance, or history as well as if you want to pursue a 4-year bachelor’s degree in the future. By considering the past with a biblical worldview, you can work toward the future with clarity and understanding.
Why Choose Our A.A. in History?
Our A.A. in History is 100% online, which gives you the ability to remain active with your work and family while you pursue an education. The skills you gain can help equip you to pursue a career in business, arts, or a history-related field.
Liberty’s online history degree is designed so that once you finish your A.A. in History online, you can transfer into our Bachelor of Science in History. Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you know that the training you receive will be rigorous and that you can be poised for success upon graduation.
In this online history associate degree, you will study the history of Western civilization and how Christianity has helped shape our world. In addition, our online history degree is taught by faculty who are experts in their field and who desire to help you excel. Our experienced professors will help cultivate your love of history and integrate biblical principles into all aspects of your degree. You can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education when pursuing your associate degree in history online with Liberty University.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Associate Degree in History?
Our online history classes not only provide training in American and world history, but also equip you with soft skills that are integral to organizational success. You can learn how to communicate effectively, write research papers, develop a strong work ethic, and lead with biblical principles.
Throughout this degree, you will dig deep into the fascinating historical periods that shaped the world we live in today. You’ll study how to identify modern perspectives and appreciate events with informed insight. With a degree in history online, you can gain wisdom from looking at the past — which can be a great asset in various careers. Additionally, you can learn about important events and dates in history and become better equipped to teach that knowledge to others.
Along with your history courses, you will also take English, math, and other foundational courses that are designed to help you succeed in a vast variety of fields. These courses can help deepen your understanding of both history and the world around you. Whether you hope to work at a museum or for the American Historical Association, your well-rounded education can help you become a valuable member of many organizations.
- GEOG 200 – Introduction to Geography
- HIEU 202 – History of Western Civilization II
- HIST 300 – Historical Methodology
- HIUS 221 – Survey of American History I
Degree Information for the Associate of Arts in History
- The A.A. in History falls under our College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Benefits of the A.A. in History from Liberty University
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online associate in history from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years ̶ and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our associate degree in history in as little as 1.5 years.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Associate of Arts in History Potential Careers
With an A.A. in History, there are many different settings that you could work in, including:
- Genealogy libraries
- State government
- State monuments, national monuments, and parks