Explore the Past While Preparing for Your Future with an Associate of Arts in History
Earning an associate degree in history is a great start for a career in a history-related field, business, or creative pursuit. Liberty University’s Associate of Arts in History degree provides foundational training in American and world history, civic and global engagement, and interpreting historical documents.
Our associate degree in history equips you to look back in order to move forward with greater wisdom and insight. This program is a foundational degree if you are interested in understanding culture, governance, or history, as well as if you want to pursue a 4-year bachelor’s degree in the future. In considering our historical past with a biblical worldview, we can construct the type of future we want with clarity and understanding.
Why Choose Our A.A. in History?
Our A.A. in History is 100% online, which gives you the flexibility to remain active with your work and family while you pursue an education. The skills you gain will help you in your career pursuits, knowledge of inquiry and research methods, and your ability to communicate logically.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Associate Degree in History?
Our online history classes not only provide training in American and world history, but they also equip you with the soft skills you need to be successful in any career field you choose. You will learn how to communicate effectively, write research papers, develop a strong work ethic, and lead with biblical principles.
Throughout this degree, you will dig deep into the fascinating historical periods that shaped the world we live in today. You’ll study how to identify modern perspectives and appreciate events with informed insight. The wisdom you gain from looking at the past can be a great asset in various careers. Additionally, you will learn not only the events and dates of most importance in history but how to take that knowledge and use it to gain insights into the realities of modern living.
Liberty’s mission is to Training Champions for Christ who go into all career fields as representatives of their faith. In this degree program, you will study the history of western civilization and how Christianity has helped to shape the world we live in. Our experienced professors will help cultivate your love of history and integrate your faith into all aspects of your degree. You will graduate with confidence in your abilities and be able to make an impact on those around you.
- GEOG 200 – Introduction to Geography
- HIEU 202 – History of Western Civilization II
- HIST 300 – Historical Methodology
- HIUS 221 – Survey of American History I
Degree Information for the Associate of Arts in History
- The A.A. in History falls under our College of Arts and Sciences.
- Review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Benefits of the A.A. in History from Liberty University
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online associate in history from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years ̶ and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our associate degree in history in as little as 1.5 years.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Upon receiving your A.A. in History, you’ll be equipped to work in a variety of positions in places and fields like:
- Genealogy libraries
- State Government
- State monuments, national monuments, and parks